Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Swelling and pain in hands and feet

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
User Profile
Hi

About 10 months ago, I woke up with a very painful, stiff and swollen hand. I didn't think much of it because I just assumed I'd injured it while sleeping. After a a few hours it went away and didn't think about it again. But around 2 months after that, it happened again and it started happening more often, painful in the morning and then going after a few hours. After a few weeks it also started in my feet, eventually after it occurring more and more I went to the doctors who now have given me lots of blood tests that just keep coming back normal.

One doctor I saw decided it could be a post viral infection and I was given anti-inflammation tablets, these worked for about a week and then the pain came back and not only in my hands and feet, but in my wrists and my knees. I decided to see it through for a while and see how it went, but it got unbearable, so I went back to the doctors and she gave me stronger anti-inflammation tablets. These have helped make it less painful, but I am still suffering from stiffness and mild pain in my fingers, feet and wrists. I have also noticed that my hands and wrists have become a lot weaker, I find it more difficult to open things and lift things up. When I have pain it feels like I have bad bruising.

I have now been referred to a rheumatologist because my doctors can't figure out what's wrong. I'm only 22 and its starting to affect me a lot. I just wanted to know if people have been having this problem and does it sound like I do have arthritis or could it just be a viral infection?

Sorry its sooo long Smile x
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 16th, 2010
I think it sounds like inflammatory arthritis. A good rheumatologist can tell you
|

replied December 4th, 2010
Sam, what did you find out? Have you noticed if it has anything to do with the weather? For the past two years my hands seem to not like high humidity and they hurt so bad that I find myself rubbing, massaging them all day long. I tend to run on the cooler side and but the heat in Arizona helps keep my body temps warm consistently, but when the humidity kicks up the pain in my hands kill me. I'm not a doctor and I'm not a nurse but I wasn't going to be charged Big money to start trying different products. I did find a couple that work for me and I'd love to suggest them to you for further research if you are interested. They are all natural so if anything it might help keep the pain down while the docs are trying to figure out whats going on.
J
|

replied December 21st, 2010
Swelling and pain in hands and feet
dear sam and tallblondeandbanded,
your posts struck a cord with me. This winter I noticed that I was waking up with stiff & sore hands and that the symptoms seemed to be getting worse. I felt like I was suffering from a low grade fever all day, aching joints, weakness, etc...My work means a lot of computer work, so not ideal!
Another weird thing that was happening was icy cold hands & feet. My right hand would be sore and get colder the more I did with it. I ended up trying to warm them up & wearing gloves. Maybe a mild form of Raynards? First time ever for me.
I have now had a battery of blood tests. I am normal for rheumatoid arthritis, moscito borne viruses, I really am not sure where to go next.
Would be very interested in finding out about the natural products, I am not keen on taking too many painkillers & anti-inflammatories. I agree, the painkillers do not remove that ache or feeling of weakness.
Anyone else out there with ideas, please post them. I think the medical profession is as puzzled as we are.
J
|