Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Swelling after whitening

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I recently started a regiment of teeth whitening...Using A pre brush Whitiening Rinse, as well as Whitening tooth paste, and Crest's "NIGHT EFFECTS" whitener. Everything was fine until last nite. I noticed before bed, while drinking tea, that the two glands in the back of my mouth hurt, almost burned when I drank. The best I can describe the location is the exact spot that you fell a sensation when you eat something sour... That nite the Pre-Rinse seemed to burn too. I went to bed and went to work the next morning with no noticable pain. When I came home for lunch, the pain started. Severe sensations in the same spot, acoompanied by EXTREME Swelling after eating. I went to the doctors and he didnt really say it was anything serious, however, I hadnt eaten for about 4 hours by the time I saw him. Came home and ate, and all of the sudden it was painful and the swelling (under my ear next to my jaw) was extreme. It subsided after a few hours. Now I'm scared to eat...It's gotta be connected to the Rinse or other products right? Is this common? Is there anything that could help like massaging the glands? I did an internet search but could only come up with Parotid issues and not much connected to the whitening products. Any info would really help, i've scheduled another doctors appointment for tomorrow, this time i'll bring food.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2008
hi
I have a abscess on my gum on my left side of my mouth and its very small and has been barely noticible until the last couple of days when i used for the first time a teeth whitening substance (powder form) , Now i think the abcess is increasing in size very slowly and i can feel pressure on it.

Maybe there is a connection with certain teeth whitening products doing more harm than good.
|

replied November 2nd, 2008
Hey
I think you should get doctor advice before use else it will be a problem.
|

replied April 7th, 2009
Swollen jaw after tooth whitening
I have this same problem. Noticed some odd sensations on one side of my mouth a couple of days ago after I had started whitening. This morning while eating a bowl of cereal jaw felt very tight. Now I see that it is swollen under my ear.
Did your swelling go away on its own? How did you deal with this situation ?
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
teeth whitening
The thing that it is always better when you clean teeth at a clinic. I used strips and gels and some funny devices but they never helped.
the DentalPoland clinic I have found is really good and cheap so I will stick to them I guess with other treatment as well.At least I will wake up without surprises...
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Regarding my previous post
The swelling did subside after I stopped using the product. I have used it since then with no problems and I think it was probably due to rinsing too long with the pre-whitener or using the product too frequently over a couple of days.
|