Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Swelling after lateral release of knee

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I had a lateral release of my knee a little more than 8 weeks ago. After the surgery I had no bruising and very little swelling. I started physical therapy 3 weeks after my surgery--as soon as the incision was healed. I have been going to therapy 3 times a week for the past 5 weeks. Functionally I can do everything except running, jumping, and deep squatting. I have full range of motion, can climb and descend stairs comfortably, and can fairly easily walk a mile. However, my knee has been swelling. Swelling did not become serious until 6 weeks after surgery. I went to my orthopedist and he gave me a cortisone injection 7 weeks after surgery. It has been 8 days since the injection and my knee is more swollen now than before. Swelling increases about .5 cm every 2-3 days. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the swelling? I currently wear a sleeve on it and elevate and ice often. I also get e-stim treatments with ice after each therapy session. There is no pain associated with the swelling.
Thank you for your help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|