Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Surgical cut to bladder during hysterectomy

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
My sister received a partial hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. Her womb apparently was twisted ans her intestines were entangled in her ovaries. There was also quite a bit of scar tissue. Ever since the surgery, she has been experience urinary leakage. The doctor today said that she believes that there is a cut in the bladder and inserted a cather to relieve pressure on the bladder. Unfortunately this is causing her considerable pain. Also, the doctor has admitted that she is unsure where the cut is. An ultra-sound has not turned up the location of the cut. They have sent her home in pain and leaking urine everywhere.

Is there an advice you have for us.

Zina darrell
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
This can be serious...I have heard of nicking the bladder during the vaginal hysterectomies...With my friend they had to go in and find and repair it...My advice would be make them get to the bottom of this...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2009
Supporter
when my mom had a hysterectomy her doctor messed up on her and cut her....bladder. she been through the same thing. she sued her doctor and five years later they settled for 2 payments of 17.5k
|
Users who thank starship33 for this post: user554559 

replied February 25th, 2010
the dr cut my friends bladder---this was discovered after her abdomen blew up like she was 9 months pregnant. They put a tube in her abdomen to drain the urine. The dr's are waiting/hoping for the cut in the bladder to heal on its own. Has anyone had success with the bladder healing on it own?
|

replied June 21st, 2012
hysterectomy with bladder cut
yes and no i had a hyterectomy and they cut my bladdler i had a catheder for 3 month and 7 surgerys. they also found a second cut but didnt heal on its own
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2010
Community Volunteer
It may, but watch this very closely....This could be serious if not taken care of and healed properly...Tell her to be completely satisfied with the results...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied September 20th, 2010
Hysterectomy
How can i contact starship 33. I am going through the same thing now. I showed my attorney this article and he had questions please write me if possible. Thank You. Please I need your help.
|

replied November 6th, 2010
I went through the exact same thing Nov 2, 2010, in Georgia. I went in for a hysterectomy. When I came out of surgery, I still had on the catheter. I asked the nurse on duty what day would my catheter come out. And she said it wasn't I had to go home with it due to me having surgery on my bladder. I told her I didn't come in for bladder surgery i came in for a hysterectomy and she said I would need to speak to my Dr. Well I did, and then he confused my bladder was cut in 3 places while in surgery. He never informed my husband nor my mom who were both waiting for the surgery to be over. Until I asked when the catheter would come out. And I was told by 3 Lawywers after going home on a catheter for over a month, and many Urology Dr.'s visits that I could not be compensated for the mistake. Does anyone know if this is really true. Because I belive if the Lawyer does not think the case is worth enough they just want take it. Please advise!
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi SCLEM3614.....I am inquisitive....Was yours a Vaginal or Abdominal Hysterectomy?...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied November 29th, 2010
Hey Caroline EF it was Abdominal!!!
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi again SCLEM3614....Thank you for your reply...My reason for asking was that a couple of women have written and asked me if there is more of a chance of a Bladder nic during Abdominal or Vaginal Hysterectomy...I didn't know and have now come to the conclusion that both of these can have a small threat...It has nothing to do with the expertise of the physician performing this surgery, but I believe how well that Endometriosis has welded itself to the Bladder and Uterus and their difficult time in trying to take as much of this as humanly possible off to clean the organ...It's a tough surgery and unfortunately every once in a while this can happen...Unfortunately, this is our only alternative to rid the pain and possibility of more problems...I hope that you are feeling better...Take care....

Caroline

P.S. I had the Abdominal too....
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Hi Caroline I didn't have Endometriosis.My period had stopped for about 6 mos,and I was told I had a tumor in my uterus, and because of the tumor the uterus had become enlarged. I am still having problems with my bladder, i.e ,spams, and some incontience. Just flustrated!!!! Thanks for listening:)
|

replied March 31st, 2011
So how are you doing Caroline? My bladder was cut two times during my vaginal hysterectomy. I've had my catheter two weeks and am leaking ALOT. Wondered how you are doing?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi LincolnLady: Luckily my bladder was not cut...However, I know of many women who have suffered this problem..Sometimes it is very difficult for a surgeon to rid all the Endro that is surrounding the area...Thus this can happen...I hope all goes well...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied July 2nd, 2011
bladder cut during vaginal hyst.
my bladder was cut by the ureter tube and a urologist came in and made a vertical incision in my abdomen and cut my bladder in two and turned it inside out to fix the cut made by my gyn during the vaginal hystorectomy, I had my catheter for 3 weeks and double ureter stents, very painfull, I am much better now, can I expect to have any future complications? I still have a good deal of pain around my abdominal incision and severe urgency to urinate
|

replied July 4th, 2011
Incisional hernia?
Now I have come to the conclusion that I have an incisional hernia from the vertical cut made to fix my near ureter cut during my vaginal hys. I am scared to death, the pain is increasing, I see my urologist tom. Has anyone else had this happen, what can I expect?
|

replied November 29th, 2011
I had a hysterectomy on 9/20/11. 3 hours turned into 12 hours and in the process my bladder was cut. Came home with a cath for 10 days and at the 6 week check up I had alot of leaking and found out that my bladder and vagina had meshed together and was leaking a large amount of urine through the vagina. I have had another cath for the past 4 weeks and am facing another surgery to repair the first repair. It has been a total nightmare since September.....Just wondering how much longer this could possibly go on? No urilogist was present in the operating room and this was never mentioned to me prior to the surgery that this could happen. Sick and Tired!
|

replied March 21st, 2012
i just had a hesterectomy it was supposed to be laproscopic but my dr cut a 2 inch hole in my bladder.so the uroligist ended up having to go in and repair the bladder. i am wearing a catheder and told i will have to wear it for at least 4 weeks. my gyn hasn't even mentioned it she acts like it never happened. when she explained to my husband because i was in surgery for 9 hours she said it was from scar tissue from c-section. does this sound like she was trying to cover up or just not wanting to talk about the mistake.plus i went and had the staples taken out and now i have blood and fluid oozing out and told it was normal i don't have any faith left in my gyn because of her behavior over all this.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
i just had a hesterectomy it was supposed to be laproscopic but my dr cut a 2 inch hole in my bladder.so the uroligist ended up having to go in and repair the bladder. i am wearing a catheder and told i will have to wear it for at least 4 weeks. my gyn hasn't even mentioned it she acts like it never happened. when she explained to my husband because i was in surgery for 9 hours she said it was from scar tissue from c-section. does this sound like she was trying to cover up or just not wanting to talk about the mistake.plus i went and had the staples taken out and now i have blood and fluid oozing out and told it was normal i don't have any faith left in my gyn because of her behavior over all this.
|

replied April 30th, 2012
I had an abdominal hysterectomy and the dr. cut my bladder. had to have a blood transfusion. this was in 2003 and I am still having problems with my bladder. I have been told that I need to go every few years and have my bladder checked to see if it gets any leaks. does anyone know if there is any truth to that??
|

replied May 8th, 2012
Total Hystorectomy in 1979. Have had bladder problems off and on. My bladder has fallen, I can " push it back in" My GP made an appointment with OBGYN she said that she would insert a pessory to push the bladder up, while fitting me she said that she couldn't get a smaller one and that my vagina had been clipped. I have not really had sex since 1979 (been married 44 years this Oct). What does a clipped vagina mean and could this have caused the problems that I have had since Hysterectomy? No one ever told me that my vagina was clipped, but that some of the bladder had to be removed. Who asked questions at age 29 - 30+ years ago
|

replied September 8th, 2012
Cut bladder
Had a vag hysterectomy in dec of 2010. Woke up the next day with a catheter. My dr didn't tell me she cut my bladder, nor did the urologist talk o me before I went home the next day. Had bad pain and leaking around the cath that three days later saw my Gyn that when she told me she cut my bladder. She sent me to see the dr who did the surgery and I had to wear the cath for 6-8 wks. While in the hospital for my seizures, the urine was still leaking. Three days later another dr repaired my bladder. I never had fibroids or c-section can I sue
|