Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

surgical abortion with IV sedation

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Alrighty, Let me first state I don't need judgemental comments I just strictly need some good sound advice. thanks I found out that I am pregnant, I don't feel the need to go into the personal reasons why it is unwanted so I will digress, anyway My LMP was June 4, 2009 and according to these pregnancy calculators, the day of my appointment I will be 4wks and 3days, the facility where I am going does them from 5wks to 12wks. I opted for the surgical abortion with IV sedation?

Will that still cause me pain?

How long with the actual process take?

And I have also read tht although abortions can be missed it's 1% cases. (That came directly from all these clinic websites)

Also I do not see myself feeling depressed etc. I am relieved just thinking about it. Can anybody tell me about their experiences etc. THANKS A LOT!!! Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mychoice32
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2009
Experienced User
I had a surgical abortion done at just under 6 weeks (5 weeks, 5 days). The entire process took about 3 hours, but I was told to expect to be at the clinic for 5-6 hours. Most of the time was spent filling out paperwork, getting blood drawn, taking yet another pregnancy test, getting the ultrasound, and just simply waiting. Once I was called into the room for the actual abortion, I was only in there for about 15 minutes. I chose to stay awake. After they administered the shots (that hurt like HELL), the actual abortion took two minutes. It was painful, but I was able to count down the seconds with a nurse who was holding my hand. There was a clock on the wall at eye-level, and that helped a lot. Afterward, I was given my clothes and a SUPER HUGE maxi-pad. I had a glass of orange juice and a lollipop, was given post-abortion information along with a prescription for a antibiotic, and was out the door 10 minutes after the procedure.

The cramping and bleeding were both VERY light. I was able to stop at a diner on the way home and have breakfast. I was starving after being told not to eat after midnight the night before. I went back to work the next day. The bleeding lasted about 8 days and was barely noticeable, and the cramping was gone after the first day. It was much easier then a normal period for me. My pregnancy symptoms lingered for about 3 months and tended to be worse around the time I got my period each month. My periods started up about 6 weeks after my abortion, but it took over a year for them to get completely back to normal.

Hope this helps a little bit. If you have any more questions let me know or PM me. Good luck with everything.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
My experience
I had a surgical abortion at 6 weeks. The day I went to clinic, it was not crowded at all and I was there for less than 4 hours.

When I was called back, they got my history, vital signs and a fingerstick to check hemoglobin and RH factor.

They did an ultrasound and though I opted not to see it, the ultrasound tech left the folder flapping open in front of my face and I saw. Fortunately at this early date it was like a black blob and I wasn't too bothered.

I changed into a gown and was sent into a waiting room with a 3 girls. We talked and the waiting for the procedure was the longest difficult part. We got 800mg of ibuprofen beforehand and were called back one at a time. You get up on the table like at the doctor's office for a pap smear.

I didn't receive any sedation but I did have the laughing gas. The doctor inserts the speculum, gives the cervix a numbing shot that feels like a pinch and then begins to dilate the cervix with rods. After it is dilated, then the tube is inserted so that vacuum/suction is done. THIS is the most painful part and I did cry. The nurse or whomever was with me explaining the steps and holding my hand and let me squeeze her hand. It was over pretty quickly and my uterus was still contracting for about a minute after.

Once in recovery room, I felt ok after about 5 minutes and left after approx 15 minutes. They took my vitals and gave me instructions, birth control and prescriptions for antibiotics. I went alone and drove home fine (it was 1hr away).

The pregnancy symptoms of nausea went away same day, fatigue went away like a day later. And it's been nearly a week and I feel great. Have been working and doing normal activity The bleeding is like a medium flow period and the cramps are very mild (aleve helps).

The laughing gas only helped to keep me a little calm. I don't feel it lessened the pain at all.

The clinic I went to was not the best as far as being compassionate and professional at all times but there are betters ones. Best of luck to you.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
abortion
Hi dear... i am 9weeks pregnant so by the time i get to see doctor ill be 10weeks pregnant... THey told me that they will give me like local anastesia ...so that it will numb my lower part...but as u told me that it hurts when they vaccume.. is that reallly bad hurt.. more than periods... because i am really scared..its my first abortion and i dont kno how it is...
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
Hi,

The pain is worse than period pain, but it is not horrible. You will be fine. If you are really scared, you may want to try talking to someone you trust about it: talking about your feeling may help alleviate your anxiety. It helped me out a lot when I had an abortion.

If that does not help fight your fears, you may want to think it through again and make sure that having an abortion is what you really want.

I wish you the best of luck!
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
reply to kgk
hey kgk, i just got a surgical abortion this morning in orlando fl and i hope my reply helps. Im 20 years old and was scared out of my mind to go and get it done. i had an appointment this morning for 10:15 at planned parenthood to have the abortion done. me and my boyfriend got to the clinic and were immediately yelled at by protestors which really got me emotional. but i knew that it was the right thing to be doing so we went into the clinic. when we got in i had to fill out a bunch of paper work and read some disclaimers. after that we waited for a little and they called me back to make my payment ($500). then we waited for about another 20 minutes until they called me back to have my ultrasound. they asked if i wanted to see the baby and i told them no. i thought it would be harder to go through with it. they said i was 6 weeks 5 days along. they asked which method of abortion i would prefer, either the medical or surgical. i picked the surgical abortion becuase of how fast it would be over. after they sent me back to wait with my boyfriend a little bit longer they took me back to take my vital signs, some blood, and check my iron levels. everything was okay. they then took me to an information session where i was one on one with a nurse and was able to ask her all of my questions. she offered me either valium and a pain med or an iv sedation which costs more and can make you sick for the day. i chose the valium since i had a friend who did that a couple of months ago and she said it was bearable. after another 45 minutes of waiting i was called back for the procedure. they gave me my meds and let me sit for about 15 mins then took me to the room. i had to hang my underwear and pants on the back of the door, put my shoes behind the door, and sit on the table covering myself with the paper gown. the doctor came in with a nurse and they were both very nice and comfortable to be around considering the circumstances. the doctor was letting me know what he was doing while the nurse was doing her best to distract me. the doctor inserted something to keep my vagina open. not the most comfortable thing but it was bearable and i was joking with them about it. then he put antibacterial stuff on the walls to prevent infection. then comes the awesome injections into your cervix. NOT the most comfortable thing in the world but definately not as bad as you would expect. the injections are definately the worst part and they are really not that bad and i dont have a high pain threshold. after that was done he used the suction vaccume for literally 30 seconds then it was over. it was a terrible experience but mostly becuase i psyched myself out the past two days. the pain was NOT worse than period pain for me. i used to get terrible cramps where i would have to sit out at work. and once ur in the room you are done within 5 minutes. really not the worst thing. i would reccommend it to anyone who was torn about what to do. afterwards i was in recovery for 15 mins. i was super pale and was almost about to faint. idk y, it felt like i was on crazy drugs. but they gave me cookies and water and i was A okay. i hope this long story about my day helps. i have had almost no bleeding and hardly any cramps. good luck <3
|

replied April 13th, 2011
Hello, I am 5weeks , i plan on having abortion done soon.
It really does not bother me of having it done .but i am not the best on pain . I live in wilkes county , i am going to have to drive about 2-3 hrs away to have this done .There are some way of getting outside funding for this , i have been looking , just can't find anyone .The clinic gave me a small discount but really need help paying for a little bit more of it ! anyone know of thing that might help me thanks,
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
Hello, I know my reply comes a little too late but i hope it will help others who are looking for answers.
I just had a surgical abortion done yesterday at Planned Parenthood. I found out I was pregnant at home with a pregnancy test. I went to Planned Parenthood to get a confirmed pregnancy test and they said I was 4 weeks. after they do a pregnancy test, a nurse assistant talked to me about my options of whether i want adoption, medical abortion (the abortion pill), or surgical abortion. at first i opted for medical abortion, but after reading about it and hearing all these women talking about how long and painful it takes to abort..i decided to go for the surgical abortion, and i chose the iv deep sedation which was the best thing ever because i have a very low tolerance of pain. but at the time they wouldn't give me a surgical abortion because i was only 4 weeks, they said I had to be at least 6 weeks. So I waited..and waited...i must say the waiting part was the worst, it was the most stressful and torturous time for me. i was sure of my decision, but i had a very hard time dealing with the waiting. many nights i worry about it, nervous about it, didn't know what to expect..

anyway on the day of the appointment, i was a nervous wreck. i brought my friend with me to drive me home because with deep iv sedation, they required that u have someone to drive you home. when me and my friend pulled into the parking lot, there was a few prolife protesters standing outside which made me even more nervous, but me and my friend just ignored them and walked into the building.

my appointment was 8:30am on a saturday, when i arrived there were alot of people already waiting there, i have to say going on a weekday would be better if even u have to take off work or school, i would imagine less people than on a weekend. when i first got there, the receptionist gave me a bunch of paperwork to fill out, and told me to expect to be here 4-6 hours. after filling out all the paperwork, i for about 40 mins, then they called me in for an ultrasound. the ultrasound was quick and easy, they stick a probe like into your vagina , and the nurse assistant asked me if i wanted to see the ultrasound which i said no, i couldn't bear looking at it, then she told me i was 7 weeks and 1 day. then she sent me into another waiting room for my bloodwork. i sat there with about 10 other girls, for about 30 mins before she called me again for blood test, she took my blood which was just a puncture on the tip of your finger, they wanted to see your hemoglobin and Rh factor type. then after that she sent back to the waiting room to wait again for another 40 mins. then after that she called me back in again for an informational session, she gave me a cd player to listen to, and it was just informational stuff, it was only about 5 mins long, then i waited some more for another 30 mins, before she called me in for a counseling session where she was going over the procedure and asked me how i'm feeling and if it was my decision and why i'm chosing abortion, the nurse was very nice and non judgemental so it was good i didn't feel uncomfortable at all. then she had me signed a few consent forms, and sent me back out to wait again. i waited another 30 mins before they called me up to pay for the procedure. i made my payments and the receptionist said to wait for them to call me for my procedure and told me i need to go the bathroom and put a pad on my underwear bc there will be some bleeding after the procedure.

by this time it was almost 2pm...i was getting so hungry and tired...i haven't had anything to eat all morning because for the iv sedation they required u not to eat 8 hours before the appointment time. i was getting a tension headache and so nervous about the procedure my stomach was getting upset.

anyway, then they finally called me for the procedure. the nurse assistant asked me to get undressed from just the bottom down, to put my underwear with the pad next to my pillow under my head. and put a paper towel in front of me, and lay down on the procedure table and put my legs up on the stirrups. i was so nervous, then an aesthetician introduced herself and she started sticking the iv needle in me, i chose the deep iv sedation so there was a light pain as the needle went in, but afterwards i didn't feel a thing. and then the doctor came in and introduced himself and asked me if i have any questions, they were all seem very nice. and then that was it, the next i remember i was in the recovery room!

i woke up when i heard a nurse calling my name, they had put my underwear back on, and had placed a heating pad on my abdomen. and i noticed my pants and shoes were on a chair next to me. i didn't feel much cramps, just very very light cramps about a 2 on a scale of 1-10..like very mild period cramps...i remember i've had worst period cramps than this, but it was very very light cramps and there were moments when i didnt even feel any pain at all. within 5 mins i was wide awake, i thought the deep sedation would make me drowsy and groggy but not at all. i felt really good, i remember going in before the procedure with an upset stomach and tension headache, but after waking up in the recovery room i felt so relaxed from the sedation that my headache was totally gone. within 10 mins i was ready to go home.

the nurse assistant came over to ask me how i'm feeling if i feel any pain and had to go the bathroom to check my bleeding, i was bleeding light , which she said was good. she gave me antibiotics and pain medication and instructions to take home with me for the next 7 days., and told me i can get dressed and go home! i felt a little pressure at my uterus when i was walking , i had to slow down and take easy steps, but there was no pain, and i was wide awake...i could have drove myself home that day! but when the nurse assistant walked me out she made sure my driver was with me, before she discharge me.

after me and my friend left planned parenthood, i felt fine...we even managed to stop and get something to eat, i was bleeding a little more that night, but by the next morning, i was feeling much better, and the bleeding was only spottings off and on and whatever pressure i felt at my uterus, it was going away. i felt almost back to normal, but i did feel tired if i walk to fast or if i don't empty my bladder more often i can feel my bladder put pressure on my uterus and that's when i feel a little discomfort. it is now almost 36 hours after my surgery and i'm feeling better by the minute.

i would suggest iv deep sedation for surgical abortion is the best for anyone who's afraid of pain like i do. i hope whoever's out there who's reading this feel like you're not alone, and if you have any questions to feel free to contact me, i have to say i was a nervous wreck about my abortion, so i understand the worries and fears you're going thru. whoever u are, best of luck and always know that it may seem like a very scary experience, but u'll be ok...i hope my reply helps.
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Thank you
Thank you so much for your reply. Im 22 year old musician and student who forgot to take too many of her pills and woke up one day just knowing she was pregant. Im currently laying in bed right now scared out of my mind about having my abortion and overwhelmed and scared to death with all of the horror stories ive been reading over the internet. I realize however most of these negative experiences are coming from those who stayed awake during the procedure, and i myself will choose iv sedation like you. Your message was comforting, thank you dearly..
|

replied June 15th, 2012
Hello, I really appreciate and commend you for sharing your personal story. I hope you can respond to me soon. I know you mentioned that you had the IV deep sedation procedure. But did you feel any pain during the abortion procedure with the vaccume or did the medicine allow you to sleep through this part? Also did they apply the IV in your arm?
|

replied July 4th, 2011
d.c abortion
i had the pill abortion which failed over a course of a weekend and the tablet which should have cut hormones etc to foetus also did not work. so when was in for d.c when had a scan and found out there was still a heart beat which was so distressing.. so had go to another hospital a day later wo have d.c done under general anaesthetic... the build up was awful a passed alot clots when woke up in recovery as i was 12 weeks and 1 day.. but pain was minimal and bleeding not too bad.. tho i have had pain passing stools past two dAys.. i had abortion on friday and today is monday... was the most awful decision i have ever had make but know it was the right one.,. i have two yound kids one with a genetic bowel disease... please take care everyone and feel free message me for any help or advice
|

replied July 4th, 2011
d.c abortion
i had the pill abortion which failed over a course of a weekend and the tablet which should have cut hormones etc to foetus also did not work. so when was in for d.c when had a scan and found out there was still a heart beat which was so distressing.. so had go to another hospital a day later wo have d.c done under general anaesthetic... the build up was awful a passed alot clots when woke up in recovery as i was 12 weeks and 1 day.. but pain was minimal and bleeding not too bad.. tho i have had pain passing stools past two dAys.. i had abortion on friday and today is monday... was the most awful decision i have ever had make but know it was the right one.,. i have two yound kids one with a genetic bowel disease... please take care everyone and feel free message me for any help or advice
|

replied November 21st, 2011
I am 41 yrs old and just found out I am 5 weeks pregnant. Since I have degenerative disc disease, arthritis in my spine, spina bifida occulta, and a C5C6 disc fusion with a plate in my neck, it's not healthy for me to carry this baby, so I have to have a surgical D&C. I am very sad and upset about this, and my feelings and emotions are all over the place. I sure could use some support. I have to have IV sedation, because there is no way I can be awake during this procedure. Anyone have any encouraging words?
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2011
pain medicine cost for abortion
Hi, I am planning on getting a surgical abortion, and have a really low threshold for paid, so am looking into deep IV sedation or general anaesthesia. Does anyone know how much extra this will cost? And if deep IV sedation &/or general anaesthesia is covered by Medicaid?
I really appreciate any help. I've looked all over the web & can't find the additional cost for this.
-scared and anxious
|

replied December 19th, 2011
Jessamy80 don't be scared hun. I ended up having a miscarraige and still had to have a DNC and they used this quick acting drug that knocks you out and brings you back out of it fast too. It wasn't bad at all. Of course there was some pain, but it was so quick and once they get you back in recovery and give you a heating pad and some pain meds you will be fine. The whole point of the procedure is not knowing whats going to happen thats what makes it scary, but I can promise you, you will do just fine. They take you back, you do the pee test, than give blood, they do a sonogram, you wait a few minutes go back and talk with a counselor for 10 mins, than they whip you into the surgical room and by the time they give you the shot, it's over and your in recovery, the total process took 15 minutes. I went prepared with pads in my panties so I didn't have to try and do it drugged up, they helped me get my pants and shooes on and in 30 mins I was fine. A little groggy, but ok. You have my support all the way. If you need to talk let me know and I will give you my email. Good Luck!! Oh the total cost for me was $412, even though I had insurance I had to pay, because they take medicaid which I have, but medicare is my primary since I have been on disability since 2003 , so they couldn't submit it and I had to pay.
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2011
Abortion
Thanks Tootsiebear, I appreciate it.
What is a DNC tho? Yeah I'm trying to figure out if you get deep IV sedation or general anaesthesia w/ the abortion if Medicaid will pay for that, or if they only pay for the usual way, where they just give you some minor pain meds & anxiety pills. And if they do only pay for the usual way, if you can get Medicaid to pay for that part of it, & then u just pay for the anaesthesiologist &/or medication/ IV sedation.
I'm also really worried that something might happen & I won't ever be able to have a child in the future. Do u know how safe it is? Like does anyone know the % chance you could loose your ability to have children in the future?
Oh I'm just so mad at myself, that I let this happen ..& it's thee Worst time for it.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied December 21st, 2011
Hi hon! Do me a favor, email me I have a lot to tell you and lots of support to give. There are some things I wanna share with you that I really don't want to share on the forum. I look forward to being your support and friend. Tootziebear xo

P. S.. IF ANYONE ELSE NEEDS SUPPORT PLEASE USE THE SAME EMAIL. I AM A VERY LOVING CARING PERSON.
Smile
|