Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

surgical abortion experience (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I want to share my experience with surgical abortion. I hope this can help some people find clarity in their decision making.

First let me give you some background of my situation.

Last Monday I went to a clinic to discuss my options. Prior to this I had done some research online (scary!) and was leaning towards a surgical procedure due to it's quickness and recovery period. Medical abortion, while good for early pregnancy, seemed like a long drawn out process that could possibly be very painful and emotionally challenging.

At the clinic I discussed my fears with the counselor. She assured me that medical was safe, but that the degree of syymptoms varies between people. Well I got very scared and told her I needed to talk to my boyfriend who was with me at the time. He and I ended up spending an hour at my car while I cried and lamented about what to do. Eventually I ended up going back in to reschedule. The doctor asked to speak to me and I told him that I wasn't sure about what procedure to have. He somehow convinced me to do the medical procedure and that I could take all of the pills with me (including the initial tablet) to take later in the week when it was convenient with my work schedule. I was dazed and numb and agreed to it, especially since he said the bleeding wouldn't be bad.

~fast forward three days~

It's Thursday and I am still petrified of taking these pills. The whole 24 hours to wait and think about what i've done until I can complete the abortion process unnerved me.

I decided that I needed a surgical procedure. There was no way I could handle it any other way. So I called a Planned Parenthood and made an appointment for the next morning.

When I arrived I went through the standard procedures - ultrasound, bloodwork, counseling - before I would go in for surgery. Because I was just under 6 weeks, I carried more risk of fetal matter being left in my uterus. I discussed this with the doctor and she assured me that the chance of it happening was very low.

Overall I found the experience easy. Much easier than I thought. The doctor and aide were very supportive, patient, and answered any questions I had. I took an 800mg ibuprofen and a klonopin (my own prescription) before the procedure. I must say the pain was not that bad at all. I've had regular pap exams that were more painful! Sure, there was some cramping and pain, but very minimal to what I anticipated.

After 5 minutes the procedure was over and I was brought into a recovery room. I had some cramping and pain for about 10 minutes and then it subsided. I could walk fine. Then on the way home I had a couple of sharp pains and passed a couple of clots and that was it so far. That was six hours ago! I currently have no pain and only very slight bleeding now.

Now it's time for the physical and psychological healing. Abortion was a very difficult choice for me to make, and it essentially cost me close to $1000 dollars because I changed my mind from the medical. But it was worth it, imo.

While I don't plan on ever having an abortion again, If I had to, I wouldn't hesitate to use the surgical method or recommend it to a friend.

Hope this helps. Take care!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Findingsolace
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Not usually Planned Parenthood, but there are many many other clinics available, and they offer IV sedation which makes abortion painless.

I prefer surgical with IV sedation, and I always recommend it to women.
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Hi Carifairy,

P.P. DID offer an IV sedation that was a combo valium/pain killer. Unfortunately I was starving and had eaten a small snack beforehand and wasn't eligible for it. But honestly, the pain really wasn't bad enough for me to wish I had it. No where near, in fact.

I'm sure the ibuprofen and my own klonopins (anxiety medication) helped. Perhaps I just have a decent pain threshold. But I can remember those pelvic exams where they scraped my cervix to get a tissue sample and I wanted to jump through the ceiling.

I'm not saying it's painless, just not as bad as I anticipated. I hope a lot of women might find this to be true as well, especially those in the early weeks of pregnancy.
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Findingsolace -

I like you have been seeking out my options. Up until today I was leaning toward the Medical Abortion. After thinking about it more and discussing it in more detail with a councelor at Planned Parenthood, I think I am leaning more towards the Surgical Abortion. After reading your story, I think I'm convinced that is the route I am going to go. Not an easy decision by any means.

Thank you for sharing your story.
|

replied July 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I think you will find that surgical abortion is much easier!

It takes 3-5 minutes, and you 'know' it is done!
|

replied February 4th, 2009
help
all your messages are very easing. My situation is crazy! i got the medical abortion and cramped for one day and the next day it subsided. i went back to the doctor for a check up to make sure the sac droped. and my luck it didnt. after crying my eyes out, they tryed it again. i went today with high hopes praying it worked and too my luck again, it didnt! two times and it didnt work! now i have to have the surgical iam emotionally and physically drained. im scared and i feel like this getting dragged out. im guessing by reading all these comments it not bad. im really nerous of being put out and not waking up after. i have a really bad fear of that.
|

replied March 12th, 2009
i was also thinking about the medication abortion but i've talked to some people and have been reading some messages online and i think i'm going to go with the surgical, that's probably my best bet huh?
|

replied August 13th, 2009
Surgical Abortion Experience
Go with a surgical abortion if you want to get it over and done with ASAP!

Either one will be painful, but I think the medical one is definitely MUCH MUCH longer. I've heard about the pain being similar to labor pains!

I really feared the pain I would feel, but I had laughing gas and it helped A LOT.
Wasn't as bad as I thought, but not something I would ever want to go through again. Everyone is different, some people feel slight pain and some don't even feel anything.
If you have experienced mild menstrual cramping and are use to it...I would really suggest the surgical because the 1-2 minute pain you go through really isn't that bad.

I wanted to do a medical one at first since I Was only 5 weeks but researching about it made me change my mind. I felt like I had made the right decision after my surgical abortion.
|

replied August 30th, 2009
surgical abortion experience
Hi, I just had a surgical abortion 2 days ago and know how much these forums helped me, so i wanted to share my positive experience.

I was about 9 wks pregnant and didn't want the hassle of a medical abortion, so opted for the surgical.

Went in to hospital at 8am, was first on the list so was due to go in to surgery at 9. Was a very nerve wracking experience beforehand, but i had my friend with me to cheer me up Smile
When I was called through to the ward, I was shown to my bay and they went through everything that would happen, took blood pressure, medical history etc. They had told me beforehand that they only use general anesthetic so they also filled me in on what would happen with that.
Had to wait around for about 45 minutes (very apprehensive at this point), they then wheeled me round to a room next to the theatre where they gave me the anesthetic. Started laughing my head off cuz I felt pretty drunk and then I assume i was out as I next woke up in the recovery room.
As i woke up I think I was talking abosolute jibberish to the nurse lol, but she was lovely. Felt pretty drowsy and just wanted to sleep really. As for pain, it was just strong cramps, but nothing too drastic that a pain killer couldn't cure.
Was then wheeled back round to the ward, I was surprisingly fine, I thought I would be a bit emotional etc. but I assume that its different for everyone as the girl next to me was a bit upset.
Wasn't bleeding much, like a very light period. The nurse came and checked to see it wasnt too heavy or anything.
The nurses kept an eye on me for about an hour/2 hrs, gave me tea and a biscuit, checked my blood pressure again etc. I then left the hospital at half 11 feeling abosolutely fine Smile
Had slight cramping for a few hours after and slight bleeding - this was all gone after a few hours. Slept very well that night though!!
I had a very positive experience, the nurses were soo lovely, and I think having my friend there helped so much!! - please do not go through this alone!
I am very glad I opted for surgical over medical as it was over within 2 hours, wasn't painful and was such a relief after!
I hope this helps those of you who are worrying about it, believe me - the waiting and worrying is the hardest part of the whole ordeal.

x
|

replied November 13th, 2009
my story is totally different..i went to planned parenthood to get a surgical abortion i was 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant..my appointment was for 10 in the morning..when i got there they called me in pretty quick..they did the ultrasound..bloodteztz..and counseling..afterwards they told me to change into my robe..they gave me 4 pills of iboprufen (painkiller)..as i waited to qo into the procedure room i heard this girl in there screaming at the top of her lungs and cying..i could hear the vaccume suction..I started doubting this procedure..but i did not =( ..the nurse came back and walked me into the procedure room..they sat me down..my knees were shaking sooo bad..there were 4 nurses there..after putting the metal clamp inside my vagina..they used a needle to numb my cervix..(which obviously did not help at all)..as soon as they began they had problems getting into my cervix because it was a bit curved..when they got into my uterus i felt every pain..i felt them stabbing me with the vacuum..it was sooo painful because they were doing an ultrasound while they did the procedure..so i felt pressure from outside of me and inside of me..i was crying soo bad because at that point i regreted everything that was going on..but unfourtunately it was too late to qo back..when the procedure was over i qot up..and as soon as i got up i threw up..i was sweating cold!..my body was all wet..then the nurse asked if i was ready to go to the recovery room..i had cramps for the rest of the 30 minutes i was there..

my point is that abortion is the worst option i have ever chosen in my life..and i feel that after that day my heart has been broken..now i look at the picture of the ultrasound everyday and i just wished i didn't do what i did...i regret it..ever since i cry every niqht..
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
cinthia973 wrote:
my story is totally different..i went to planned parenthood to get a surgical abortion i was 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant..my appointment was for 10 in the morning..when i got there they called me in pretty quick..they did the ultrasound..bloodteztz..and counseling..afterwards they told me to change into my robe..they gave me 4 pills of iboprufen (painkiller)..as i waited to qo into the procedure room i heard this girl in there screaming at the top of her lungs and cying..i could hear the vaccume suction..I started doubting this procedure..but i did not =( ..the nurse came back and walked me into the procedure room..they sat me down..my knees were shaking sooo bad..there were 4 nurses there..after putting the metal clamp inside my vagina..they used a needle to numb my cervix..(which obviously did not help at all)..as soon as they began they had problems getting into my cervix because it was a bit curved..when they got into my uterus i felt every pain..i felt them stabbing me with the vacuum..it was sooo painful because they were doing an ultrasound while they did the procedure..so i felt pressure from outside of me and inside of me..i was crying soo bad because at that point i regreted everything that was going on..but unfourtunately it was too late to qo back..when the procedure was over i qot up..and as soon as i got up i threw up..i was sweating cold!..my body was all wet..then the nurse asked if i was ready to go to the recovery room..i had cramps for the rest of the 30 minutes i was there..

my point is that abortion is the worst option i have ever chosen in my life..and i feel that after that day my heart has been broken..now i look at the picture of the ultrasound everyday and i just wished i didn't do what i did...i regret it..ever since i cry every niqht..
I am very sorry abortion was not the right choice for you to make, and I am sorry you regret it. But it is the best option for a lot of women as well, and they don't regret.
|

replied January 11th, 2010
I just came back from the hospital were my girlfriend just had a medical abortion. We live in Sweden and were not given the option for a surgical abortion. She was 17 weeks pregnant. Two days before the abortion she was given 3 tablets that would kill the child. As she held the 3 pills and the plastic cup she had big tears and sobbing. I had to look away. I heard her say “Oh god what have I done”. I felt sick but was supportive. That night we watched a video and it felt very weird knowing that inside of her was our dead child. I did not want to sleep next to her that night. Everything was quite and strange that next day.

At 8am (2 days after taking the pills) we arrived at the hospital. She was given some tablets and something in her vagina. About 1.5 hours later she started getting back pain. She is a tough girl, when she broke her leg snowboarding all she said was “ouch”. The pain was not a cramping pain but a conic pain. To make a long story short 10h later I fell asleep. About 4h later I woke up to the sound of her screams and crying. Even with all the strong pain killers they were giving her she was screaming in agony. The nurses gave her a bedpan to have the baby in. The reason was the baby would be to big to flush down the toilet. There was so much blood all over the place it was crazy. The laughing gas and drugs were not doing much for the pain. It was terrible to see her in that much pain. All I could think was “are they out of their f***ing minds to do this to a person?” Why did they not put her to sleep?

The placenta did not come out with the baby. The nurse asked if she wanted to see the baby. I yelled at the nurse to get out of our site! Lucky for my girlfriend she did not see what I did. She was given a new injection to force cramping while they force in something past the cervix to pull out the placenta. Again the screams were echoing in the room as I held my ears. I kept saying to “this is not happening”. When the placenta did come out there was (not exaggerating) an explosion of blood.
I am so upset with the Swedish medical system right now. A late medical abortion is one of the horrible most gruesome things a person could ever see or experience. Why did they not just put her to sleep and quickly remove the baby? For your sake please do not do a late medical abortion!
|

replied April 25th, 2010
Surgical Abortion [General Anesthetic]
I had a surgical abortion three days ago.
Originally I was told that my only option was a medical abortion [with tablets etc] because I was seven weeks gone, it was my first pregnancy, and I''m only 19 yrs old - but on my second consultation, they gave me the option of a surgical abortion as I''m allergic to all painkillers [and it was the procedure I requested originally]
I was also informed that women are asked to look for any signs of the foetus in their pads after they take the abortion pill to make sure it worked, which seems pretty brutal and inane to me.

I was terrified when I got to the clinic, shaking and all sorts, but all of the nurses/surgeons/staff were lovely - really supportive and caring. I was only asleep [under general anaesthetic] for about 10 minutes in total, and when I woke up I was a bit dizzy from the anesthetic.
However, this quickly wore off and I was able to travel home by train and on foot afterwards with little to no discomfort.

For the last two days I''ve experienced a small amount of bleeding and the occasional twinge when I move a certain way, but nothing that would impact upon my day. I had the abortion in the morning, and spent that evening and the next day resting.
While my recovery is obviously still in it''s early days, I am already feeling a lot better.
I''m no longer getting the nausea/flushes I got before the abortion [which were due to the pregnancy] and I''m able to go about my day as normal - though obviously, no sex or exercise for a while !

I hope everyone whose had to make this difficult decision is okay - mentally and physically, and that anyone who is finding it tough for any reason makes a quick recovery.

[While it may not be of any relevance, I am from England, so my experience may be different to other peoples...]
|

replied July 1st, 2010
Had a surgical abortion today. Definitely glad I chose it over medical, waiting is by far the hardest part.
They scratched my hand and done all the anesthetic... I was crying at that point and told them I was really scared... but they said I'd be asleep within 15 seconds. I was skeptical but then I felt it take effect... what felt to me like a few seconds later I woke up in recovery with no pain at all... just feeling very slow.

I ended up throwing up the food they gave me after and had to lay down twice because of feeling faint.. but I got the impression I was the only one and it really wasn't as bad as it sounds seeing as I was having that throughout my pregnancy anyway. Some women were crying.. but I just felt relieved it was over.

Obviously not an experience I want to go through again, but went 100 x better than I thought it would.
The fear and uncertainty is the hardest part.

If anyone else is booked for a surgical, stay strong you can get through this. You will be so relieved when it's over and you're able to tell your story of how it wasn't half as bad as you expected.
|

replied July 11th, 2010
Medical abortion
I had a medical abortion 1 day ago and I must say it wasnt as bad as people say.

I took a pill on thursday, felt nausea as the nurses had already told me and on saturday I went back to the clinic to insert 4 pills in to my vagina.
That was to be honest the most mentally difficult part, but the nurse was ever so lovely.

I got home with my boyfriend and I started vomitting and after about 2 hours cramps similar to period pains (slightly more painful) started. I started sweating but my boyfriend gave me a cold cloth and lots of painkillers (codeine given at the clinic).
I fell sleep and 1 hour later I felt I had to go to the toilet and I passed 2 blood cloths the size of nectarines and other small blood tissue which wasnt bad at all.
Today a day after I am feeling much better, still bleeding but it is like a normal period.
I was 7 weeks pregnant and this was deinately the best option for me.

However DO NOT go through this if you are on your own. It is definately best to have someone there as moral support.
For the nausea, drink cranbeyy juice and ginger beer and dont forget to drink LOTS OF WATER during this day after the pills are inserted.

By the way, this happened in the UK.

Good luck to you all whatever you may choose.

Went back to sleep
|

replied July 19th, 2010
my experience of a surgical termination is horrible. i went 2weeks ago, it was on a tuesday and my partnerwas not llowed to come with me at 9am they sent him home and i was taken to an upstairs waitring room to wait until 11amish when i was taken for them to insert a pesserie and then i was changed into my gown and my anaesthetist came and introduced himself advised they were running behing and then someoe got me at 12.45 i was taken straight to theatre as no anaesthetic room and i broke down and cried my eyes out as they put me to sleep.. i woke up 1hr later (supposed to be 15mins) to a nurse shaking my arm and saying my name. 2ppl introduced thereselves and i was taken to a ward given 2paracetamols and a codeine. later i asked for another painkiller and was told i would need to have somehting to eat first so got given tea an biscuits then given a declefenic on numerous occasions i asked if i could get ready but was told no.. i felt ok just little pain in lower back and across pelvic bone. my mam rang the ward and asked when i could leave so they consulted me and told her id be ready to go in 2mins they'll ring my partner to collect me. i was then told to get dressed and taken to the waitin g room again 1hr later my partner wasnt there i asked if her as rang and the nurse went. 10mins later he arrived ad told me they had only just rang. was furious!

fast forward 2weeks later i am still getting pains, heartburn and tiredness and my preganncy test is positive... off to the doctors i go ........
|

replied August 26th, 2010
My Positive Experience
After reading a lot about abortions on this site in preparing for mine I wanted to come back and share my experience. I had my abortion in Canada and we don't have the same type of medical abortions that are offered in the USA and Europe. It is similar but is actually a chemotherapy drug. I was initially only going to have a medical abortion because I was petrified of the surgical route. However, when I found out there was the possibility of hair loss (being a chemo drug) I decided this wasn't really an option for me. So I opted for the surgical procedure. I went in for my initial blood test at the clinic to determine my pregnancy for the clinic even though I had already had a positive at home test. I had to wait a week for my appointment which was yesterday. I was very very nervous about the pain factor. I met with the nurse who gave me two Ativan to help me relax and an Advil. She priced my finger for my blood type. Then I changed into a gown and waited in a room with another girl. I actually felt better because the clinic was busy and a lot of girls were coming from having the procedure done and they seemed just fine, which reassured me. Then I went in with a nice nurse who did my ultra sound I didn't look at the screen or anything and it took 5 minutes she just circled around on my stomach with the scanner, not painful at all. Then the doctor came out and she was really nice and told me not to wory that she had been doing this for 25 years and they did 30 procedures a day and they would make me as comfortable as possible. WHile she was talking to me the nurse gave me a mask with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to breath in and she gave me a needle in my hand with Fentanayl, I was really happy because I thought I was going to have an IV put it but it was just a shot. It didn't hurt that much because i was distracted by the doctor talking to me and breathing the gas in. I honestly don't think the gas worked that well on me because I was too nervous and they told me if you dont relax the body actually wont allow the medication to work. So i tried to relax and i felt the drugs from the needle kick in, I really just felt more calm, I was perfectly aware and not out of it. Then the nurse gave me a stress ball to hold in my hand and i also held her hand too. The doctor inserted the speculum like for a pap smear and I felt the freezing needle which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I should tell you I am huge wimp and terrified of needles and pain and it honestly wasn't that bad. I couldnt see what she was doing but the nurse kept talking to me and I was focusing on relaxing she said I would feel some cramps and I did. I get really bad menstrual crams and the cramping from the procedure was no where near as bad as my worst cramps. Also the cramping lasted at most 30 seconds or a minute and were over. She did this one more time and I had cramps for 20 seconds again and then they said all done. It honestly took about 3 minutes for the actual procedure.
Then I went to the recovery room and they nice nurse there gave me and icepack for my stomach because you do have cramps after but nothing too bad just like medium cramps from a period. They said the medicine might make me sick but I drank 3 glasses of water and I was OK. I went home perfectly fine 10 minutes later.
I slept for the rest of the day and today I feel perfectly fine.
My advice to girls is to have the surgical procedure. I was initially ONLY going to have the medical because I was scared of the surgical, but after what my doctor told me the medical is much more painful and takes hours to finish instead of 3 minutes. As someone who is terrified of the doctor, needles and any surgery I can tell you it is ok! I DO recommend you relax as much as possible and get sedation to help you relax.
Don't be afraid I know each girl who was in the room with me after was ok we all had a positive experience.

Good Luck
|

replied November 9th, 2010
Account of my sergical abortion (which was done this morning).
I had my sergical abortion today because where I live medical abortions are not available. At first, I thought the option to do it at home would be nice and seem more natural for some reason... but that didn't matter in the end because it turned out to not be an option. I was nervous about the sergical abortion. When I got there I did the ultrasound right away (which was almost more torture then the actual procedure becuase they requested a full bladder and I had to pee so badly... the pressure they were putting on my stomach almost made it unbareable). They confirmed that I was 7 weeks along, and sent me off to counciling. They ask you some pretty typical questions like "is this YOUR decision?", "do you have any questions about the procedure?", "are you worried about how you will feel afterward?". I was prepaired for all that so it was ok. Then off to the prcedure. I was so nervous I forgot to take my underwear off... opps.. kind of important! Once I was on the table and chatting with the nurse, I felt better. They gave me ativan shortly before the procedure to help with nerves, and they let you hold the mask for laughing gas during the proceudre, but you don't have to use it. They don't put you to sleep at all where I went. The most pain I felt was the small pressure when they used a needle to freeze the cervix... there was cramping but it was more just a tightening feeling then pain. I didn't use the laughing gas at all.. and I couldn't believe how easy the procedure was. It was at most 10 minutes. In recovery they had a little toast and juice, and they monitored my bleeding and bloodpressure for about 20 minutes, and sent me on my way with 3 days worth of anti-biotics. I reaaly was so pleased with how smoothly this went... I thought it was going to be an aweful experience. It really is no worse then getting a cavity filled. When I got home I slept for 2 hours... and now I'm up, just ate supper, and i can honestly say I feel better now then I did yesterday (I was suffereing from some pretty intense morning/noon/night sickness yesterday.. and have been through this whole pregnancy).

All this being said, I should say that I was completely comfortable with my decision to terminate the pregnancy going in. I had no feelings of guilt or regret about what I was doing, because I knew I was making the right decision for my family at this time. I can see how even this simple procedure could seem much worse to someone who is struggling emotionaly with what you are committing to.
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Managment of pain during surgical abortion
Hi All,

I had an abortion this Saturday and it was my 2nd abortion. I was able to manage my pain this time. I wrote my story on associated content. I hope it will help for the women who are trying to relax during the surgical abortion:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8 072439/pain_management_during_abortion.htm l?cat=68

Gauri
|

replied June 16th, 2011
I'm writing this to help women facing same situation as I did. I'm 22 still at university, working part time just to earn enough money to pay my rent and food, no savings. I found out I was pregnant in the middle of my exams. With the guy we are not even in a serious relationship and he is definitely not the one with whom I want to live my life with. He is a student as well. So in this condition I could not have a baby, although later on with the right guy and in the right situation I really want to have kids. So after a long and agonizing week we have decided to have an abortion (the guy was very supportive, although he made clear he doesn't want keep it he said will support me whatever I decide. We got the appointment after two weeks, as I decided to go for surgical one as I wouldn't be able to handle the medical one nor physically nor mentally. Two days ago we went to the clinic. I was terrified imagined all sort of things what can go wrong. It all went quickly the nurses and doctors were very kind and supportive. First I had a scan, then blood pressure check (which was obviously very high, so had to wait sometime). Then I had to change I had a quick word with the anesthetist who was very kind and assured me everything is going to be fine. Then they took me to a room I had to lie on the bed and put a needle in my vein on the hand from which I was really scared but it didn't much. Then took me to the operating room asked couple of questions then fell asleep quickly. Next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room. They said everything went fine now I have to stay there a bit as I was still drowsy. I had mild cramps but got ibuprofen so wasn't bad at all. Then I could go to change and then they gave me food and drink. After a while they let me go with some antibiotics. All in all it wasn't that horrible experience at all. And I know this was the best decision for everyone.
|
12 >>