Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Surgical abortion at 4 weeks

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Hey everyone I am rather new to this please do not judge me because you dont know the circumstances. Anywys I just had a surgical abortion this past weekend and I was only 4 weeks. I thought surgical abortions were not suppose to be given until one is at the least 6- 8 weeks pregenant. Is there a possibilitie I could still be pregnant since the procedure was done so ealry? I'm a little scared that this could be a failed abortion because it was done so early. HElpPlease. Please do not pass judgement, I would truely apprecite. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper loveurself415
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Did they do a follow-up ultrasound? They would be able to tell if there was anything left. I'm pretty sure that they wait til 6wks so they don't risk leaving anything behind.
|

replied August 18th, 2008
I will have my follow up ultrasound within two weeks. I find it just a little strange that they would of insisted on doing it so early when most clinics specifically state one must be atleast 6 weeks.
|

replied August 20th, 2008
Hi there,

Well, when i found out i was pregnant i was almost 4 weeks and the private clinic i went to refused to do the surgical procedure so early mainly coz they couldn't even see anything on the ultrasound. They told me there was a risk that something might be left behind and told me there couldn't terminate something that wasn't there so i had to wait. I'm not sure where you live but the minimum is 6 weeks in most clinics for surgical procedures. I find it strange too but just wait and see, hope you're okay though.
|

replied August 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
There is NO minimum.... I work in an abortion clinic.

We do from 5 weeks on up..

Basically, as soon as we can see the pregnancy on ultrasound, and ensure that it is not ectopic, we will do the abortion.

For many women this is 6 weeks, but I have seen plenty of women have an abortion at 4/5 weeks.
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
Help regarding Surgical Abortion
I am 5 weeks 1 day. I would like to go for surgical Abortion. I am worried is it safe to have surgical abortion after 5 weeks. Please respond.
|

replied September 6th, 2008
I was 5 weeks and I had a surgical abortion, they never told me anything about a minumim.
By the way...why there is not a section about Surgical Abortion? And there is only one about medical?
|

replied April 28th, 2010
I just had a surgical abortion at 5 1/2 weeks yesterday. They told me 5 weeks was the minimum. The doctor said they removed such a small amount of tissue that I would have to come back in a week for a blood test to make sure they removed everything. I haven't really bled at all ever since leaving the clinic and that concerns me a little bit. It's like I haven't even had an abortion. Is that normal? I am barely spotting yet they told me I would probably bleed/cramp as if I were on my period. I could use some feedback! Thanks!
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
Hi

My ultrasound says I am 5 weeks 1 day yesterday and I have surgical abortion tomorrow. Is it safe to go with it before 6 weeks. Please respond.
|

replied September 7th, 2010
I am now 6 weeks pregnant, I wanted to do surgical abortion but clinic told they will do it on completion of 8th week otherwise its has high risk on that.
|

replied January 19th, 2011
Okay I have had three (3) abortions but feeling guilty now after all these years. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. LIVE WITH NO REGRETS!!!!
|

replied May 19th, 2012
4 weeks pregnant abortion
I am 4 weeks and just had a surgical abortion. the procedure is pretty uncomfortable and intense but not to the point where you cant handle it. I had high anxiety so doc had to open cervix a bit wider which is y i suggest keeping calm and breathing. its uncomfortable but not sooo bad. good luck n stay strong
|

replied July 4th, 2012
I am 5 weeks and my family wants to me to go for abortion because I'm just grad from degree and gonna attend my convo on Oct. I havent got a proper job yet and that's why they said my future will be spoiled if I keep the baby. I dont know what I should do now. My bf and his family are very down when they knew my parents did such decision. I will meet the doctor tomorrow if really wanna abort. Sad
|

replied February 16th, 2013
Termination didn't happen after Pills
Hi, I was 4-5 weeks pregnant and i had pills for termination and after 15 days when i again had the ultrasound done, doctor said there is still something left , so whether i should go for the surgical termination now or again have the pills ?
|

replied January 4th, 2014
I got a surgical abortion 4 weeks 5 days and the doctor said she couldnt see anything but still did te procedure. No one in the clinoc said anything about waiting. She did say i would need tocome back in two weeks for a follow up. Im getting worried now reading this. Why wouldnt she tell me it may not work so early? Or are different clinica didferent?
|