Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

surgery 33 years ago feeling mild pain on the same area?

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
I had appendix surgery 33 years back but i am feeling mild pain on the same area coming and going for last one month. Any suggestions for my concerns? Appreciate your help.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2011
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A26882

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the pain that you are having on the lower right abdomen after the appendectomy. The first possibility that is common after an abdominal surgery is adhesion formation in the abdomen. This can result in dull to severe pain at the site of the operation.

We also have to rule out other medical causes which may arise independent of the operative procedure. These include bowel obstruction, ovarian cysts and pelvic inflammatory disease, irritable bowel syndrome , kidney obstruction or pyelonephritis, psoas abscess and volvolus (twisting of the sigmoid part of the large bowel on itself).

Investigations like ultrasound abdomen, CT abdomen and colonoscopy are required to confirm a diagnosis. Please consult a gastroenterologist and get it examined.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.