Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

surgery for tmj? does it make tmj worse or better?

Hello all, i am getting surgery for my tmj problems! i wanted to know if the surgery makes this problems worse or better?
i have also been seeing a physiotherapist but doesnt seem to do any good
im 18 btw
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Hi,
I am 17 and am also having surgery on my tmj in a couple of months. I've been told how rare it is to have problems so young so was very excited to hear about you Smile I've had the problem for 5 years, and tried literally everything,including a splint, muscle relaxants and physio, but nothing has helped - in fact it's only getting worse. Finally, I had an MRI which has shown a large osteophyte in the tmj and a flattened and displaced disc, so I'm having surgery Smile I'll let you know if it helps!
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Hi. I am 19 and have had TMJ since I was probably about 7, if not younger. My dentist refuses to do anything except for make a brace to keep me from grinding my teeth, which I have tried and it actually made the problem worse because it just made my jaw aligned different and I still ground my teeth and damaged my jaw in different spots. I am currently looking for ways to try and fix or alleviate the pain from my jaw. I am curious to know about your experiences with treatment.
|
Tags: surgery, TMJ
Quick Reply