Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

surge of electricity in my head

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
brain zaps? not too sure was just concentrating and then all the sudden felt a surge of electricity run thru my head and then i jumped. currently taking xanax and 3rd day sober from alcohol.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Electricity sound in ears and visual disturbances
Hi I recently awoke to a zap? It was a loud electrical crackling in my ears and with my eyes closed i could see white electrical like images? All i know is it was loud and it happened as I was falling asleep. It scared me. I told my boyfriend about it and he said possible seizure? I am looking for answers as well.

I do not take any medications except Tylenol and ibuprofen for headaches. I did get a headache the next day. I have been looking at exploding head syndrome but I am not sure if this is what is going on.
|

replied August 5th, 2010
i really have no idea what it is. i think i may have some neuorlogical issues so i should probably see a doctor. also in the morning when i wake up, my hands are always asleep. so weird!
|

replied September 16th, 2010
brain zaps
More than likely, you suffered from an episode of sleep apnea. You aren't getting enough oxygen so your brain zaps you to wake you up and breathe. Waking up fatigue and with a headache the next day is very common. If you are experiencing this, you need to have a sleep study done. The next time you're zapped, train your self to start taking deep breaths so that you don't have another zap. If you smoke cigarettes, stop. Cigarettes lower blood oxygen levels and can trigger these episodes.

Sleep apnea means that you stop breathing while you are sleeping. For some it's its physical problem blocking their throat. For others, it has to do with brain chemistry. The doctor can supply you with a mask to where that helps.
|
Quick Reply