Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Super duper crazy pain from sprained ankle (+ more)!!!

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
So, my journey began the weekend of superbowl. I had been on a mild run and hike combo and when I got home and took off my kicks I fell over and couldn't walk! In the end I ended up suffering a mildly torn ligament near my left ankle. I also could only lay a certain way to avoid pain and ended up on my left side a whole lot.After three weeks of being bedridden and laying on one side I was feeling better and could resume normal physical activities.

Not more than a week later I was out walking, rolled my ankle and ended up suffering a really debilitating ankle sprain. As a result, I couldn't walk really for over a week. I used crutches until I cried (aka: only 2 days) and then was couch ridden and wearing a walking boot for a few weeks as well. Due to the strain of avoiding further injury I feel like the right side of my body has been over-compensating for its left half I have been trying to gain back balance and have been increasing and modifying my yoga practice for a couple of weeks. This week has been the worst pain ever and overall, the last two months of no activity and laying in my bed haven't gone well on the rest of my body. I guess i just want tips for laying on the opposite side of your body when it craves balance. I can't deal with this pain anymore! I have only just turned 30 and don't deserve this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
No, you don't. Sounds like your hips are crooked and the ankle is just the innocent victim.

Try stretching your IT band with the "Ober stretch" (Do a Google search)

Is your right hip flexor tighter than the left? Is one hip higher than the other? Probably need to stretch the tight side's hip flexor as your weight is being shifted to one side, causing you to roll over the ankle and pain when you sleep on your right side.

Also do "Standing quad stretch" (Do a Google search). It works better if you put the bent leg on a chair vs. holding it in your hand.

As you are walking, try putting your left hand on your left hip and pushing it to the right. Or do the opposite. One way should help.

Finally I think you may have an imbalance with your hip adductors - the muscles that pulls your leg to the inside.
- Do a Google search for "inner thigh lifts".

Good luck!!!
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Thank you internet adviser!! I think that after reading your post that it is definitely the case of a tight hip. Last night I made a concerted effort to sleep on my right side and it helped, but I need to do stretching activities on my hips to even things out. Thank you so much for identifying the focus that I probably need.
|