Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Sulphur Smell

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
Ok so I don’t know why, but I have been smelling sulphur for about a week now. Nobody else seems to smell it but I do. Then today I was getting out of the shower and I smell it. I go and smell my arm and I think the smell is coming from me. I read a forum and they said it could be diabetes, anybody know anything else it could be?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2011
(online)
Hi,

Smelling such strange smell can be present in certain conditions and it is termed as Parosmia (abhorrent odor perception).

It is usually associated with rhinosinusitis, head trauma, viral infection, or oral problems.It can also be due to damage to the smell-sensing cells in the nose (due to trauma/surgery), an infection of the nasal sinuses, a nasal poly, a structural defect or abnormal thinning or thickening of the inner lining of nose, an exposure to toxic radiations or chemicals (such as lead, those in insecticides), an epileptic condition, certain disorders of brain stem, certain psychological & psychiatric illnesses (esp. schizophrenia), smoking or alcohol intake (or even after their recent quitting) etc.

Please do consult an ENT surgeon for the same and get it examined. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|

replied October 21st, 2011
Insulin diabetic
I've a vile chronic smell/ taste of sulpher in my nose & mouth. I can feel & taste it dripping down the back of my throat. When I sniff , the smell actually comes out & everyone can smell it. It's horrendous . My breath is vile, when I blow my nose the smell is horrendous !!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I still think a visit to your regular doctor or an ENT is a good idea. I'm not sure if it's related to your diabetes or not, but it sounds more like it's coming from your nose, like a sinus infection or nasal polyps. If that's not the case, you might also have your teeth checked, since a tooth abscess can cause terrible breath and a bad taste in your mouth.

If it was from your diabetes, like ketoacidosis from having high blood sugar over a period of time, your breath would smell fruity or like acetone and it would be coming from your lungs, not your nose. Plus, you likely wouldn't be able to smell it.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.