Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Sudden Upper Arm Muscle Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
To make a long story short I need help because I have no clue what is going on and I've already been to the ER with unfavorable results.

Last Friday I was on the phone (about 10 mins maybe 15 max) and when I got off the phone and went to put it down I could not extend my left arm period. I was in so much pain just trying to extend it I couldn't do anything. The pain went from right below my elbow up into the shoulder and scapulea area. I went to take a warm shower thinking it was a charlie horse or severe muscle cramp. The warm shower made the pain worse I tried to rub it out anyway.. Once out the shower I laid down for about an hour and when I went to get back up to get the phone again I notices my arm was swollen from right below my elbow up. Needless to say I waited 4 hours *hoping* it was a muscle cramp when it didn't go away I finally went to the ER where I was seen for roughly 2 mins and the P.A. told me it's probably the rotator cuff and to rest it and take nsaids to keep the swelling and inflammation down. It's now Wednesday and I'm none the better! Now my trapezious muscle on the left side is involved and creating shrugging problems when I shrug my t-spine pops and clicks then pops and clicks back out. My shoulder is popping and clicking and my muscles feel...best way to explain it is it's like I've been working out WAY too hard and the muscles have been over exerted and you can't move them due to muscle fatigue. Which I have not done. I am disabled due to two failed lumbar fusions. I had recently been having issues with my bursa joints so I do n't know if that could be it but I'm not sure it's the rotator cuff I can't get into my doctor till next week and my ortho is on vacation which doesn't help. I would not like to have to go back to the ER in fear of nothing being done. I've also had a shot of Kenalog about 4 weeks ago now i n the same arm. Any advice as to what to do or maybe a thought on what it might be would be helpful. i thank everyone in advance for reading the long post and I apologize for it being so long.. I'm just frustrated!

thanks
Maggie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DrTonino
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Sudden Upper Arm Muscle Pain
Sounds like you are a hypocondriac (only joking). All you have done is tear a muscle. You will get over it, in a few days, don't take ibuprofen as this can cause internal bleeding of the muscle. But use Ibuprofen gel on the main part of your arm. The reason your other parts are hurting is because you are having muscle spasms, due to the fact your arm is damaged. The best thing to do is put a cold compress on it then a hot one (Do not burn yourself) also go to your doctor and ask for some codine phosphate about 30mg should do! Take 1 to 2 every 4 hrs, but no more than 89 in one day.

Hope this helps

Dr Tonino
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Although this was posted over a year ago thank you very much for the info. I figured it was a tear in the muscle of some sort it was just odd how it happened so easily just by putting a phone down. I've got a Central Nervous System disorder from my back surgeries and now I'm dealing those fun things. Arachnoiditis is a terrible problem and doesn't have a good outcome on life later down the line. I've got such a rapid onset and progression my doctors are a bit astounded but I've spent years just trucking along and dealing with the pain. BTW My muscles in my arms are still enlarged I found that to be a little weird but they work fine.

Thanks again Dr Tonino
|

replied January 17th, 2010
Shoulder pain after telephone use
I had a similar thing that took months to diagnose. It was caused from keeping my shoulder lifted while on the phone for lengthy periods. It took years to get better. Basically, one needs to ALWAYS keep the shoulder in the down relaxed position.
|

replied February 28th, 2010
Dear sir,
i have taken vaccine of hepa-B,when i got my 3TH vaccine on very next day my arm is so painful that i can't streatch it,plz advice me what can i do?plz advice me which doctor i can prefere?i m very much depress.sir plz write me ur suggetion in waiting for ur reply anxiously.
|

DEAR SIR,
I want to ask u that,when ever i eat or drink anything i got the cough in my mouth,i went to my doctor in my town he told me that the acid from ur stomach come TO UR MOUTH.He advice me some medicine i have taken,but the problem is not rectified,plz advice me.
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi
i would take antacid and eat less at each meal. eat 6 small meals per day....pete
|

replied June 6th, 2010
biceps
Excuse i dont know if this is the right place to post this but last september i used the dumbells and used them really fast now my biceps dont want to grow :'( does anyone know why ??
|

replied November 28th, 2011
hi my name is eric i have a stress full pain in my arm and upper arm like pain in my muscel from middle to shoulder if i look up i feel it my neck it hurts very bad i only can move my arm in certin ways or positions so no its in my neck and my arm when i sqweez my arm now i feel pain can any body help me or tell me whats going on please
|

replied October 4th, 2013
Sudden right arm pain
Guys, I need help,my mum is having sudden upper arm/shoulder pain when she move to get something, but it goes away after 2/3 minutes of really bad pain, and the GP is taking ages? Please help
|