Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sudden, severe, temporary throat tightening

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Over the years, occassionally I have this very weird reaction while eating: My throat starts to tighten up, severely and incredibly painfully. It closes so tight, I wheeze loudly when I breathe in, and sometimes am doubled over in pain.

It happened the other night again, this time the most severe it's ever been. I went to the doctor last year, thinking it was allergies, and he said it might be oral allergy syndrome, and told me to stop eating raw carrots (which were the last thing to trigger this kind of attack.) On Saturday, it happened while I was eating a hamburger. It's happened while eating leftover roast beef, a grain salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and feta cheese, chinese food leftovers, and once while eating a tuna sandwich.

I'm thinking it's not allergies. I usually take Benadryl when it happens, but it clears up within three to five minutes. I have an epi pen, but I'm scared to use it, because I'm not sure what will happen if it's not really an allergic reaction.

I go to the doctor tomorrow, and I'm going to ask for a referral to an ENT. But if this has happened to anyone else, and you have a diagnosis, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 14th, 2009
I get exactly the same thing - I feel as if I have a sharp fish bone stuck in my throat and it last about 3-4 minutes. Often it happpens when I am not eating so Ihave not associated it with any specific food group . It would be interesting to know your feedback form the doctor ??
|
Did you find this post helpful?