Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Sudden severe mid-back pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I'm a 22 year old female. 115 pounds, 5'4. No health problems.
I came home from work on Friday- sat down at my kitchen table, and my back started hurting. It felt like my back needed to crack but couldn't. And certain movements made it worse. Also sitting in one position was a bad idea. I went to see Indiana Jones on Friday and needed to keep shifting. It was PAINFUL....

It was a weird sharp pain in the middle of my back. Like right after the curve in my thoracic spine...

I have been driving myself CRAZY thinking what I could have possibly done. I have recently begun to run twice a week... and I had run the day before the pain started. I do work as a dog washer but we didn't really have heavy dogs in on Friday. And I know how to move. I'm a nursing student for crying out loud, the first thing they teach you is how to move and lift.

Anyway. Yesterday the pain was a little better... and I was happy.

This morning, I was back to square one with the pain... and then my boyfriend and I went out to eat and as I was walking out of the restaurant... all of a sudden- there was a sharp terrible pain in the middle of my back right along my spine. It was so bad I could barely breathe. I stopped in my tracks....

Now, I'm stuck in bed. I can't move my shoulders, can't really bend down, straightening my back completely hurts, laughing hurts, sometimes just standing sends a shooting pain to my spine. Despite different movements the pain is all focused in one main area. Before sitting just used to be a problem.. but now laying in one position is hurting and the idea of switching positions makes my eyes swell with tears. When I lay down, I can barely get up. I have to take a deep breath, hold it....and then try to get up just to deal with the pain. I feel like a turtle that's flipped itself over!

So far, I've tried heat and ice. I've taken 3 Alieves when it first started at 8. I took 2 Ibuprofen at 11 pm.

It's 2 AM and I can't sleep. This is terrible......
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper themiaone
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Supporter
Medication can help at moment.

If pain is constant,you should go to doc for advice.

Basically,I don't think it can last long,don't too worry!
|

replied February 10th, 2009
Hi
did u find out what it was my bf seems to have the same problem he cant sleep or lay down can u help ?
|

replied August 14th, 2010
shooting spine , back pain ,middle of back and feels spinal
OMGosh I have exactly that but now it's all the time and before it was in the evenings and late afternoons also at first I thought I had shingles because it was like little pain twinges as time progressed it got worse and now it's all the time like I said also I have to sleep sitting up in the recliner,, and I have most nights with no sleep and at the point where percocets DO NOT work ..I've tried every painkiller there is pretty much....it's horrible and thought it had something to do with my kidney cancer which was removed with my whole left kidney I am so glad to see this posting ,,wow I am not alone in this oh and my Dr. is not interested ..oh btw I have a patch on my back where the pain comes from my sis said it looks like a bruise but it is getting bigger as the pain gets worse
|

replied January 7th, 2012
Re: Sudden severe mid-back pain
i am having same sharp pain from last 10 days. I am having this pain during any movenment or laughing ....whenever it comes it's like my back want to get cracked but it cannt...... plzz help me if anyone undergoes this kind of problem and now ok.
|

replied February 2nd, 2013
Upper mid back pain
Sorry to hear of. Your pain. I have suffered from the same for several years now. My doctor wants me to get an MRI. He also advised heat as the way to manage the pain: hot baths, heating pad, massage, all because the muscles are so tense that the spasms can and do flare up anytime due to the tension.

I am also taking muscle relaxants and pains meds, Norco. Get to a doctor. I know your pain.
Also, a good chiropractor who works in the thoracic region can be effective but it will take 3-8 visits over a three week period.

Good luck and get well soonest
|