Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Sudden onset of debilitating lower back pain. HELP PLEASE!!!

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
sad2 I need help horribly bad. Trying to decide if a trip to the er is necessary. I am a 28 year old Former active Marine. The last several months I have had a lower back ache that has gone from a nagging ache to severe enough I cant move, breathe, or think when it hits now. I have blacked out from the pain, vomited, and broke out in tears. If I lay down, in ANY position, then try to move my legs it hits like a freight train. I cant sit up, lift my upper body, roll over or anything. My wife 85% of the time has to help me get up from a laying position. I am a fairly healthy, active and muscular guy. Please somebody help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper myopracticworks
|
Users who thank dormre for this post: Shealyn86 

replied February 19th, 2012
Does Anyone have Any comments, insights, or thoughts on what could possibly be happening?
|

replied February 19th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Have you been to a doctor?
|

replied February 20th, 2012
No I havent. No insurance and just been praying it would get better. But the frequency and strength of the pain is increasing.
|

My left foot was crushed in a construction accident 2 years ago. The foot and an injury to my thigh recieved in Iraq have me walking with an abnormal gait. Plus a lot of......Parachute drops and such. I just dont understand what is going on. The problem literally manifested overnight. I went to bed, woke up, went to roll out, and my world exploded. The initial wave is the worst. But the residual ache......makes it difficult to play with my children and wonderful wife. Please please any thoughts or advice are welcome. Thank Yall very much in advance. If I can figure out what is wrong with my back, maybe I can self treat.
|

Hi there,
Since the pain is so intense and debilitating I would highly recommend seeing a doctor to make sure there is nothing structurally wrong. If xrays and MRIs don't show anything, then your issue is most likely neuromuscular in nature. You have been through some very intense injuries and physical experiences, and those contribute to chronic muscle pain and habituated movement patterns (like your abnormal gait) which can sometimes lead to extreme pain and limited movement. I am a neuromuscular therapist, not a doctor, and I deal with chronic pain conditions such as this. I typically do just a few sessions with clients and teach them exercises so that they can treat themselves going forward. As I said, you should see a doctor if at all possible, but if it is not possible, look at this list and see if there are any CSE practitioners near you:
We offer a very inexpensive instructional audio download which would be a great option for you if you do not live near a practitioner.
I wish you the best of luck! If you want to chat further you can contact me through that web site.
-
|

Since you are a Vet, go to the VA. Immediately. Sounds like it could be a serious thing and because you were a Vet they will see you. Go now.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Quote:
If I can figure out what is wrong with my back, maybe I can self treat.

Ultimately this could be your best solution. Having people work on you can only get you so far. But back are complex and it's best to be professionally evaluated.
As you have noted, you have an unusual gait so things are out of alignment.

I would suggest 3 books:

"The Pain-Free Program" by Anthony Carey
- Good analysis of posture / alignment problems.
and
"The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion" by Pete Egoscue
and
"Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.

To help with your pain, these are the 2 starting points that everyone gets for treatment:

1) Static Back position" (Do a Google search for the one by Egoscue)
and
2) Static extension on elbows (Do a Google Search)
- Alternate is to do "Static Back" and roll up a towel under your lower back to put an arch there.

Quote:
If I lay down, in ANY position, then try to move my legs it hits like a freight train. I cant sit up, lift my upper body, roll over or anything.

Your major hip flexor, the psoas muscle, bends your leg. It is one of the biggest, most powerful muscles in the body. It attaches to your leg and then ALL FIVE of your lumbar bones L1-L5. So lifting your leg will send the force right into your lower back. As you have a severe lower back injury, this is causing you pain by compressing the discs and bones.

There is more going on than just tight hip flexors but I know power lifters and another military paratrooper (he was told he may need the leg amputated from lower back damage after a chiropractor dislocated his sacrum and he was in a fetal position for 6 months) who have had major improvements just by relaxing / stretching the hip flexors. This can be done by:
1) Progressive groin stretch (Do a Google search). Best done AFTER you have warmed up and are relaxed.
2) Have a massage professional "release your psoas muscle"

Quote:
has gone from a nagging ache to severe enough I cant move, breathe,

1) Try laying face down on the floor.
2) Left your ankles drop out to the sides so your legs are pigeon toed EACH LEG AN EQUAL AMOUNT.
3) Put a golf ball into your belly button.

This can relax your breathing. Some crazy people are so relaxed they can reach through their intestines and touch their spine. But this is not necessary for pain relief.
|
Users who thank myopracticworks for this post: dormre1 

replied February 21st, 2012
Thanks for the help yall. Very much.
|

replied June 6th, 2012
Go to a threaputic massage threapist that specializes in trigger point threapy. Tight muscles can feel like something is broken in there or a pinched nerve. A threapist pressed on mine and it was much better. I also got some magnesium oil and massages into the muscles. Magnesium causes muscles to relax, so if you are deficient you will have extremely tight muscles like mine. Take a good magnesium supplememt as well, it will help your muscles a lot.

Whatever you do, don't have surgery. I made that mistake and have been in pain ever since. Only to learn that my pain was all muscle related. Most back issues are muscular, and it can really hurt. And surgery will not help that. I learned too late the hard way. Do some google research on magnesium and vit. C and niacin for back pain. Try the nutrition first, and the trigger point threapy. My threalist can really unlock me, it hurts but it helps a lot. Good luck, and thanks for your service to our country!!
|

replied July 4th, 2012
pain
Abnormal gait can cause muscles on one side of the back to work harder. They might have gone into spasm, after being pushed too hard for too long. Parachute drops could cause damage to discs or vertebrae which would also cause the back to spasm for protection, and not always immediately. Could be cumulative. I know which pain you mean, and it sounds like pure spinal cord pain. Get the best drugs you canto knock out the pain in your recovery period. If you don't you could be looking at chronic self-sustaining pain setting in which is incurable and will slowly destroy your life until you finally die.
|