Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Sudden onset hand pain.

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Two weeks ago I woke up out of sleep with moderate-to-severe pain in my left hand, in the palm area and particularly the thumb and "v". It was so sudden I suspected a spider or scorpion bite, but there were no marks, swelling, or discoloration. I had not injured myself and had been off work for two days and had not experienced anything unusual. No fever or any other symptoms (numbness, tingling, etc)

The pain is constant, not throbbing. Movement is extremely painful, and range of motion in my thumb is very limited, and I am unable to touch my thumb to fingertips or bear any weight on the any part of the hand. When pushing against the fingertips, there is referred pain in my palm.

I applied icepacks every few hours and have been taking regular doses of ibuprofen, as well as wrapping the hand/wrist and immobilizing the thumb. After a week, I called the nurse hotline and was directed to urgent care. The attending doctor ordered x-rays, and said it was not broken, and was not in the right location for carpal tunnel. They made a fiberglass splint that works very well, as long as I keep it wrapped tightly. Any time unsplinted causes ridiculous pain.

I am still icing, taking ibuprofen. The ER doctor referred me to a PCP with a recommendation for an orthopedic exam and rheumatology testing. I do not have a PCP doctor and am unable to find one who will accept a new uninsured patient.

If anyone has any suggestions or guesses about what I can do to resolve this issue on my own, I would very much appreciate any input.

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|