Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sudden jolts while falling asleep + heart sinking feeling

User Profile
Hi,
I've been getting myoclonus along with a what feels like a strong palpitation that wakes me up. Just before the palpitation happens, I can feel as though my heart is sinking and the blood in my body is draining away (low blood pressure?) even though I'm laying flat.

Once the sinking feeling hits the lowest point, my body jolts me awake with a palpitation, almost like it's trying to restart my heart. It happens almost 10 times or more throughout the night and disrupting my sleep. Trying to relax makes the draining feeling get stronger. Normally I can relax with no problems.

Is this a myoclonus issue or a heart issue? I've gone to psychologist and he couldn't find any anxiety issues. I haven't been stressed out. When it happens, I'm actually almost asleep and not thinking about anything.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2012
Community Volunteer
I'm not a doctor, just someone who suffers from a long list of sleep disorders. I wonder if this is just the syndrome the body goes through when it's dropping into REM sleep. The jerks are called, myclonic jerks. In addition, you can search: Falling Dreams at google.com.
|

replied December 24th, 2012
Experienced User
Some involuntary muscle twitching is common and normal as one descends into sleep. Brain wave patterns on an EKG also show bursts of spindles as one drifts into sleep.

Not sure if a psychologist is the best professional to consult with this issue, although eliminating anxiety as a root cause is helpful. Suggest bringing this to the attention of a medical doctor who might have more insight into the physiological aspects.
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2012
thanks for the suggestion
|