Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sudden, intense dizzy spell while sitting - what's going on?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hey all, new here!

So, last night while on the computer, I had some sort of strange episode. Out of nowhere, I was suddenly struck by an intense wave of dizziness. The room felt like it was spinning for a few seconds. The closest comparison I can make to the feeling is the sensation of being extremely drunk. As far as I know I did not experience a black out.

It lasted only a few seconds. It came on so fast that I didn't even notice it at first, but quickly became aware of what was happening and jumped out of my chair, thoroughly freaked out. I've never had this happen before. These last few days I've felt a little odd -- kind of lightheaded, and more sensitive to light than usual. A couple of days ago I was in a room with a flickering light, and it messed with me quite a bit (made my head hurt a little, caused disorientation).

A little about me. I'm 20 years old, I have pretty low blood pressure (generally considered good by my doctors), and for the past couple of years, I've been concerned about cardio issues. Sometimes I get a tightness in my chest (mild but annoying), palpitations, and lightheadedness. I also suffer from the occasional migraine and rather frequent tension headaches. Sometimes I experience quick little jolts of pain in my head, often behind my eyes or on my forehead. The pain isn't severe, but it is kind of scary. Additionally, I occasionally experience a pounding in my head after climbing a set of stairs or exercising. I've always attributed this to dehydration, but I'm not positive of this. I've had a few cardio tests done, which all came up normal -- electrocardiogram and echocardiogram, as well as a 24 hour heart monitor. Everything came up normal.

I also have a history of hypochondria. However, I know that the dizziness that I experienced last night was not caused by this, as before it happened I was really calm and focused on a tutorial video. Also, I had not eaten anything that day, and I had only had some coffee to drink. When it happened I had only been up for 4-5 hours.

I'm concerned that this may be heart related, or that I may have come close to having a seizure (I'm not epileptic and have no family history). I read that sudden dizzy spells could be ministrokes (TIA), and now I'm very worried that this may be the case. I've had a little chest tightness (could be anxiety) and quick, relatively mild jolts of pain behind my head (could also be anxiety).

What's going on with me? Was this episode something to be concerned about? Should I see the doc?
Did you find this post helpful?
|