Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

sudden inhalation in back of throat

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
Hi, I've been taking random sudden short breaths in the back of my throat. It feels like I take a quick short breath and the back of my tongue touches the back roof of my mouth, if that makes any sense. It's been going on for a couple of weeks, maybe once or twice a week. There's no trend to what I'm doing, either while driving, or walking, or watching TV, anytime. I can't feel it coming on or control it. I smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a day. I've had mild acid reflux on and off recently, but haven't had much symptoms besides some mild heartburn and hiccups for the past 2 months. I'm active, healthy weight, good nutrition, I can't think of a cause.

I recently gradually stopped taking Lithium after taking it for about a year. That's the only thing I could think of that coincides with the breaths. They come one at a time and it feels like i'm suffocating for a nanosecond and then it goes away...But I am afraid that it might happen while eating or drinking, because the inhalation is very fast ...

I used to wake up 2 or 3 times a night, it went away on lithium, and when i got off it started again, maybe there's a correlation. I will be too busy to start any treatment for the next 6 weeks, so I would appreciate any short term advice if possible. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|