Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Sudden Hairs Around Areolas?

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
I am 27 years old and have never EVER had any hair on my breasts but just a couple months ago I noticed I was getting a few long coarse black hairs around the edge of my areola on ONLY my right breast. I haven't mentioned it to my husband because if he hasn't noticed I don't want to make him notice! Just the other day I noticed I got one hair on the left breast, too. Why did this come on so suddenly? Is it because of a hormonal imbalance? Do I have too much testosterone? I went off the pill 10 months ago and 3 months ago started to get pelvic pain. I will be going for a laporascopy to see if I have endometriosis in a few months -- could the sudden growth of hairs be related to endo? Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
Hair around the areolas is rather common in women, especially in women with dark, coarse body hair. Although excessive body hair (hirsutism) can occasionally be caused by hormonal disorders (such as polycystic ovary syndrome), in most cases, it is not associated with any significant clinical disorders.

Endometriosis occurs when the cells that line the uterus (endometrial cells) find their way into the abdominal cavity. Because these cells are responsive to the sex hormones that rise and fall throughout your menstrual cycle, they can cause irritaiton of the lining of the abdomen (peritonitis), as well as bleeding.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2010
guess the doc would know, but I had this very thing happen to me and I am blond! The hairs were NOT. When I got a partial hysterectomy (removed only the uterus not ovaries) it went away. In fact I feel GREAT on a number of levels after that! I did have endo too... bad. Now I am way less hormonal, depressed, sick (as in ill), achy, bloated, lethargic, and I just generally feel loads better! Helped my marriage too Wink But I'm not trying to convince you to do this, you have to do what is right for you. I'm just saying what happened to me. I am SOOOOOO glad I don't have to tweeze out those nasty black hairs anymore too. I would have died of embarrassment if my husband ever saw them!
|

replied February 26th, 2010
Experienced User
Thanks for both of your replies, I had the lap and I do NOT have endo, thankfully! I have interstitial cystitis and vulvodynia, though, but I'm sure those don't cause those nasty hairs, right?! Oh well, I suppose I can live with them...I haven't tried tweezing them, that would be so painful! But I just might try...we'll see. As long as they're not a sign of anything serious.
|

replied December 16th, 2012
breast hair
Cystitus can cause unwanted body hair...it is one on the symptoms. But hairs on the edge of ur nipple are normal. I tweeze them when i can as theres only about four or five on each one. Its not painfull to do its just like plucking ur eyebrows. We notice things on our body more than anyone else. Ive some times been intimate with my partner when they were there and he doesnt notice or if he does he kisses caress my breaasr as normal haha. So dont worry n get tweezing Smile
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2013
THE TRUTH ABOUTH BREAST HAIR ...why .. WHO will suffer ...
I have about 30 of them on each breast. I don't have coarse hair anywhere else on the body except legs, you know over 15 years of shaving. I'm 30. I have never been on a birth control due to my blood problem and perfect hormones. YEs, as I said they have been checked many many times for last 10 years and they are perfect. I have very regular periods. In age up till 25 I had no hair on my breast, I mean not the black ones. With some time they got longer darker and thicker and I started to plug them. They grew more and more, from few it became around 30 on each breast. Every year, twice, I have detailed check of my ovaries and tubes and pop smear and all sort of stuff. Especially last year when I had big lower abdomen pains I was checked so carefully- I had USG internal and external, had pop smear, hormone levels, blood, thyroid, etc.. They thought I was having POS & first signs of Hirsutism because of the breast hair, but it turned out I was perfectly healthy and the pain was from GLUTEN intolerance!
After that my Doctor was doing more checkups to solve this hair issue... And turned out that I have accumulated hormones in fat cells for years of not being on BCP (birth control pill usually stops the hairy process but if you come off of it after many years sooner or later you will get that too). I am not fat not even chubby. I exercise a lot and that rises my testosterone additionally, but it's all in norm. None the less it's still way higher than the average girl on the BCP. Few older Dr said to me before that back in the days it was very normal to see most women having black hair like that on their breasts, and it was known it will go away after the first pregnancy. And it would, because girls would get pregnant pretty early ( early 20').
Nowadays when women don't get pregnant until they 30 and they are not on the simulating pregnancy BC pills, these women will develop more advanced case of black hair growth or even testosterone overdrive, due to not having their body leveled out, reset, by the preggo hormones .

So to all the ladies who can't take the pill and avoid the hair and testosterone high levels, and especially those who won't be pregnant before their 30s: YOU ARE GONG TO BE most likely hairy!
The only way to get rid of this safely is: ELECTROLYSISHAIRREMOVAL.
DONOTDOLASERONBREASTS.ANDSTOPPLUGGING,ITWI LLMAKEITWORSEACTUALLY....
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2013
THE TRUTH ABOUTH BREAST HAIR ...why .. WHO will suffer ...
THE TRUTH ABOUTH "BREAST HAIR" ...why .. WHO will suffer from hair on the breast...

Actually breast hair it is very common, more common than you think ( in all healthy women who are not on a birth control that manipulates their bodies).
Most of doctors having a clue will tell you that it's normal to have them there, and even more normal as you grow older and have never been pregnant.

Nowadays you don't see it that much because from the early teens girls are put on a steady birth control pills till the day they want to be pregnant. Usually 10-15 years on fake hormones... These girls might not develop hair there, but they will develop serious health problems with veins and micro veins at least in the future, not to mention other things.. ANyway it's a matter of a body so some of you will love your birth control pill. If you get hairy on it it means it's not simulating pregnancy enough for you. Is too weak, or too strong, anyways it's not the right kind.
None the less most of women on the pill don't have it, until they quit it, most likely to get pregnant... and that takes a looong while because after not ovulating for 10 years body is not gonna ovulate sometimes a year after quitting the pill... and during that year your hormone will build up ... and you will get that nasty hair sooner or later... Anyway... so ..my story....

I have about 30 of them on each breast. I don't have coarse hair anywhere else on the body except legs, you know over 15 years of shaving. I'm 30. I have never been on a birth control due to my blood problem and perfect hormones. YEs, as I said they have been checked many many times for last 10 years and they are perfect. I have very regular periods. In age up till 25 I had no hair on my breast, I mean not the black ones. With some time they got longer darker and thicker and I started to pluck them. They grew more and more, from few it became around 30 on each breast. Every year, twice, I have detailed check of my ovaries and tubes and pop smear and all sort of stuff. Especially last year when I had big lower abdomen pains I was checked so carefully- I had USG internal and external, had pop smear, hormone levels, blood, thyroid, etc.. They thought I was having POS & first signs of Hirsutism because of the abdominal pain+ breast hair, but it turned out I was perfectly healthy and the pain was from GLUTEN intolerance!
After that my Doctor was doing more checkups to solve this hair issue... And turned out that I have accumulated hormones in fat cells for years of not being on BCP (birth control pill usually stops the hairy process but if you come off of it after many years sooner or later you will get that too). I am not fat not even chubby. I exercise a lot and that rises my testosterone additionally, but it's all in norm. None the less it's still way higher than the average girl on the BCP. Few older Dr said to me before that back in the days it was very normal to see most women having black hair like that on their breasts, and it was known it will go away after the first pregnancy. And it would, because girls would get pregnant pretty early ( early 20').
Nowadays when women don't get pregnant until they 30 and they are not on the simulating pregnancy BC pills, these women will develop more advanced case of black hair growth or even testosterone overdrive, due to not having their body leveled out, reset, by the preggo hormones .

So to all the ladies who can't take the pill and avoid the hair and testosterone high levels, and especially those who won't be pregnant before their 30s: YOU ARE GONG TO BE most likely hairy!
To the girls on the bcp: you will be hairy too after you stop the long term pill to try to get pregnant for a year or two.
None the less I wouldn't go on the pill just to avoid the hair, I'd rather to have electrolysis than the spider veins or health problems in the future because of the pill.

IF. YOu. ARe. suffering from the HAIR on the breasts... The only way to get rid of this safely is: ELECTROLYSIS.HAIR.REMOVAL.
DO.NOT.DO.LASER.ON.the.BREASTS.AND....STOP ...PLUCKING,.IT... it will make it worse actually, you will suffer from nasty scars, ingrown hair, and your breasts will look like they are full of pimples. plus from one HAIR follicle WILL begin to grow MANY thick black hair not just one....!!! plucking in this area makes it worse... it's is not the eyebrow area... trust me these two places are different. on the breast you activate more growth when you pluck. !!!! Stop plucking!!!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.