Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Sudden blurred and patchy vision, lasted about 30 minutes (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I'm a 37 year old female. About an hour ago, I was walking down my hall and suddenly became dizzy, and started to see a "starburst" shaped object that was flashing in the bottom and left side of my left eye (in my peripheral vision)... then my vision became blurred and patchy in both eyes. After about 30 minutes I started to see normal again, although the glare of the computer is slightly bright and irritating still. I also have a mild headache in the front of my head above my eyes.

I have been waking up in the middle of the night with a sharp pain above my left eye off and on for several weeks. It lasts a couple of minutes. It has been several days since it last occurred.

Although, I do have disc protrusions in my Cervical spine at C3-4 mild 2-3mm, and C5-6 severe 4mm which extends into both neural foramina and intermediate numbness in my forearms/hands- I am in good health.

Any ideas what just happened?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper erinrose84
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Supporter
hello i can,t say for sure but at a guess i would say high blood pressure and the pain you experienced was possibbly optic nerve. Have you had or needing an eye test done? and computers are maybe great but play havoc with the eyes and headaches if using for long periods at a time..
watch for other replys though as thats why we are here.
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Sudden tunnel vision, white spots, lasted 1/2 hr then headache
I did a search for my symptoms and found this post but no answers! It happened to me today and terrified me! I am in my early 50's, female, good health. I don't have (or didn't last visit) high blood pressure- there is diabetes, heart disease and strokes in my family.

I walked into a corporate building which had bright lights and suddenly lost my peripheral vision and had bright white 'dots' in my front focus. I couldn't see anything well, couldn't focus on anything directly, and it made me feel slightly dizzy. After a half hour it went away, and then (not during) I had a bad - but not severe- headache. I rarely get headaches.

I'm on the computer most of the day but at this time had not been on for about two hours.
|

replied June 25th, 2009
PS I should also add that I too have sharp pain above my left eye every so often - about once every few months. I had been in a car accident many years ago and hit my forehead, and until the woman's post above, I thought the sharp pains above the left eye were attributable to that.
|

replied April 24th, 2010
Blurred vision, zig-zag lights-migraine
It is called Ophthalmic Migraine. I started getting them when I was early 20''s & it terrified me but I grew to get used to it. I can go years without having one and then I will get them all the time. I hate them. I take Advil at the onset because I do get the bad headache after. It could be from a food allergy but I think mine is from stress.
|

replied April 24th, 2010
opthalmic migraine with aura
I have found that what coolcanuckchick wrote is true; an ophthalmologist confirmed it is an "Ophthalmic Migraine with Aura". I do now have high blood pressure, however, and might have at the time and not known it, so I thought I''d update with that info.
|

replied May 21st, 2010
Similar blurred vision
Thanks for the information DeniseA. I'm only 27, but today experienced something similar to what you described, except I had no spots, my vision suddenly became blurry - if you can even call it that - I just couldn't get everything within my vision to focus. It lasted for about 30 minutes and then went away, but I've since had a slight pressure headache throughout the rest of my head. I tend to become paranoid about a sudden onslaught of any new symptom at my age.
|

replied March 27th, 2013
These have all been super helpful. I am 26 and in good health, with normal blood pressure and no diabetes, and this has happened to me twice now, in the same way that you described, jayinova. I don't lose my vision, but it becomes blurry enough that I can't focus on anything. It happened once while I was driving (which was terrifying) and just the other day at work. I thought it was due to the crap lighting in my office or the brightness of the computer screen, but it lasted about an hour and then left me with a slight headache above my forehead, about where a head band would sit. I started looking around for what it might be and got a little freaked out because the first couple of places I checked said to go to the emergency room as it could be the signs of an early stroke, but I was skeptical as I am young and healthy. I am thinking it is probably the Opthalmic Migraine, but am still seeing an eye doctor this week to be sure.
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Allergic Reaction to Eye Makeup
I also have these types of pains in my eyes and loss of vision in certain areas. It is very frustrating and lasts about 20-30 minutes. Then afterwards I get a headache like clock work.

This first started happening about 12 years ago and someone suggested it could be an allergic reaction to my eye makeup. I stopped using the Revlon eyeliner and my prblems stopped all together for several years. Well now 12 years later I am having them again.

I am using the same eye makeup I have been for about 6 months and no prblems until now. I'm still going to try changing my brand anyway to see if that stops it again.

I also read that it could be caused from food allergies. I did notice that it started right after lunch. I had a ceaser salad today so I'll also be suspicious of that because I never used to eat ceaser salads.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
Star-burst
I am so super glad to have found this post, the most terrifying thing happened to me on Thursday while I was sitting listening to my MP3 player as my boyfriend slept I started to see a glass like 1/2 star burst that flickered and got larger to the point I could not see at all only around the object however not through it, I of course panicked and forced myself to go back to bed, when I woke up it was gone but I had a slight headache. Later that night it started to happen again and it scared me to death however the object never took over my entire vision and only lasted about 10 minutes. I went back to bed thinking maybe I was stressing or was just off. I awoke the next morning and right when I opened my eyes the star burst was there with its sparkling glass like look it didn't get bigger then about the size of a grapefruit and only lasted a few minutes but left me with absolutely the worst headache I have ever had in my life! I went to the emergency room it hurt to even blink my eyes. They did all sorts of test, MRI,X-Rays,Blood work,Lumbar puncture, everything came back normal although the doctor said my brain showed of slight old damage from a small stroke but it was not recent (scary) they said my blood pressure was out of control 184/100 and they couldn't get it lower then 167/92 and they put me on Amlodipine. I have not had an episode since but I am so scared, it was the scariest thing I have ever been through and to know I have had a TIA scares me so much I just wonder if I wouldn't have went to the hospital what would have happened. I thank all of you for posting it really helps to know that someone else has experienced this. Please write if you want. I am going to the Doctors to get all fixed proper this week as we were on vacation when this happened in another state, and although they were wonderful and caring and so nice I need to get with a local doctor.
Good luck to all.
|

replied August 8th, 2012
wow. although it is comforting to see i'm not the only one who has experienced this, I would like to add another possibility to the list.
I am 27. today i was at work and suddenly could not see what i was doing. both of my eyes were seeing bright white spots as if a camera had flashed in my eyes. the obstructed vision lasted a half hour, followed by a very mild headache behind my eyes and forehead. I was also very sensitive to light for the next few hours, wearing my sunglasses indoors. i first went to a pharmacy to get migraine medicine, though I've never had a migraine, it seemed like the likely culprit. the pharmacist assured me it wasn't a migraine because of where the headache was located. he suggested high blood pressure or a stroke, which freaked me out, and i immediately went to urgent care. the doctor there seemed extremely knowledgeable and did a thorough examination and asked me many questions, and concluded that it was an anxiety attack. i've had severe anxiety attacks before that felt like heart attacks, but have never had any problems with my eyes or headaches before. perhaps what other women are experiencing are also anxiety attacks.
|

replied August 8th, 2012
wow. although it is comforting to see i'm not the only one who has experienced this, I would like to add another possibility to the list.
I am 27. today i was at work and suddenly could not see what i was doing. both of my eyes were seeing bright white spots as if a camera had flashed in my eyes. the obstructed vision lasted a half hour, followed by a very mild headache behind my eyes and forehead. I was also very sensitive to light for the next few hours, wearing my sunglasses indoors. i first went to a pharmacy to get migraine medicine, though I've never had a migraine, it seemed like the likely culprit. the pharmacist assured me it wasn't a migraine because of where the headache was located. he suggested high blood pressure or a stroke, which freaked me out, and i immediately went to urgent care. the doctor there seemed extremely knowledgeable and did a thorough examination and asked me many questions, and concluded that it was an anxiety attack. i've had severe anxiety attacks before that felt like heart attacks, but have never had any problems with my eyes or headaches before. perhaps what other women are experiencing are also anxiety attacks.
|

replied June 13th, 2013
Smile
|

replied June 13th, 2013
Smile
|

replied June 13th, 2013
Smile
|

replied June 13th, 2013
I have them as well
|

replied June 13th, 2013
I have them as well
|

replied August 13th, 2012
Blurry vision
Really ressuring to know others have experienced similar sorts of blurred vision.
I am 28 and have been having laser (hair removal) every 6-8 wks and today after my session i took the dark glasses off and i cudnt see at all for a few moments and when i could finally make out things it was blurry in both eyes!
i couldnt seem to focus on anything and the therapist assumed it was the fact that my eyes were closed for a period of time.
Not entirely convinced though, i sat in the clinic and after about 15 mins wandered out and still couldnt focus. Both eyes were blurred. Took a while but vision returned to normal..no headaches etc.
Just worried as to what it may be. any ideas?
|

replied October 1st, 2012
I highly suggest getting an mri done to rule out multiple sclerosis. Any inflammation of ophtalmic nerve optic neuritis or diplopia dizziness pains in otherwise healthy adults might be indicative of ms.
|

replied October 11th, 2012
vision went weird
I am 46. I was at my desk on the phone, I put down the phone and looked at a student who came into my office (I work in education). The students face went all out of focus, not blurry, but sharp, but the sharp images were somehow not aligning with each other. I looked at the text on computer screen and it was so out of focus I could not read it. I started to panic. I talked to a colleague, but could not see his face properly. I decided to take a long walk. As I walked I calmed down a bit, and noticed I could read some of the building signs. After about half an hour or so, my vision returned to normal, but I had a splitting headache. It was bloody scary.
|

replied November 12th, 2012
I’m 16 and I have been having migraines since I was 10. I still don’t know why it happens, there is no pattern what so ever. The only thing I think it could be due to is dehydration. When I feel one coming on I know I need to go home and sleep it off, because thats the only way to get through it without the excruciating pain. I had one yesterday during a soccer game, I played through the blurriness as there wasn’t much time left in the game, then went home to sleep it off. Today I was typing up some homework on the computer and my vision went again. I had one last month, but I haven’t had more than a handful more than that all year.
|

replied December 28th, 2012
I get blurry peripheral visions on either eyes, then I get headaches on the opposite side of my head. This happens quite often, especially when I'm outside and it's sunny. So yeah, when I get that blurry thing, I know I'm having a headache. I don't like it. I want to know how to make it stop.
|

replied January 21st, 2013
Left eye white spots
Hi. I am a bone cancer survivor of 13 years the tumor is located at c5. I have 2 titanium rods that run c2-c6. About 3-4 months ago I started getting 2 white outs in my left eye. They are always in the same place. The bottom one is bigger then the one at top. If you think of them as pixels on a tv I would say the bottom one being 8 pixels and the top maybe 3-4. That's the only way I can think to describe it. It's not painful just worried. I have noticed a change in vision but attributed it to getting older. I just find myself moving the paper further away due to the small print. As far as the spots the come and go probably happens atleast once or twice a day. I was also just diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. Those symptoms have been going on longer but was wondering if they were related due to severe weight loss and all things that go along with pancreatitis ? Any guesses or knowledge as to thiese white spots ?? Any help with pancreatitis would be nice as well. Been through hell for atleast 6 months after being so happy of being cancer free yet another year. Any thoughts much appreciated. Blessings. Tim
Indianapolis 1-20-13
|

replied April 29th, 2013
Hey, just had this happened. Still happening.
I'm 18. Female. And I just took off my glasses to my natural vision (incredible blurry eyesight) and it disappeared. I was typing at the moment and reading these posts.
Thank you for all your help.
|

replied May 5th, 2013
Hi I'm 17 and lately my vision has been blurry on and off. I noticed that it happens after reading or being on the computer, but it happens just a few minutes after. I was taking my SATs yesterday and just after the 1st section, i looked up and i could no longer read the information on the board, which i could normally read. Same with the computer, i was on for a few minutes and when i looked up it was blurry.Normally my vision is not bad at all. This isn't the first time, it happened sometime last year too, so i was wondering if it has to do with change of weather or allergies. I think it might take a few weeks for it not to happen anymore like before, but i just wanted to know the cause of the blurriness.
|

replied May 7th, 2013
blurry vision followed by headache
i was at work yesterday and suddenly when i looked up at my computer screen i realized i couldnt focus on the text and when i attempted to see people around me i couldnt focus n their faces or anything and everything seemed blurry and there were disturbances in my peripheral vision in about 5 minutes (more in left eye). i freaked out as i thought i was gonna go blind or somthing as this was my first experience ever. i splashed water in my eyes but it dint work..then my manager gave me ibuprofen and my vision was restored in about 10 minutes. i rushed to the doctor and he said that its the onset of aura migraine and that i could avoid it my not skipping my meals at all and making sure im always hydrated. i hadnt eaten all day and also i had a neck sprain so that could also have contributed to it. SCARYYY!
|

replied May 25th, 2013
Hey Im 20 & i experienced something similar :O
It was my last exam & as soon as i entered the exam hall i started seeing star like spots & later the vision started going blurry.It was more like an eclipse sort of thhing.I started freaking out as i could only see a little in the beginning & then the thing went blurry.I didnt know what to do,whom to tell so i sat there praying & my vision came back the same way it went (like an eclipse) & left a thronging headache Sad
I live my mom alone...Its freaking me out...so do I tell her?It happened only once so should i like wait for it to happen again & then freak her out too?
This sux! Sad
|
12 >>