Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Sudden and temporary loss of peripheral vision out of one eye

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
User Profile
Earlier today while on break at work I noticed difficulty seeing out of my left peripheral vision. This happened while sitting down and I was very relaxed. After a few minutes it began to get worse and it got to the point where I could not focus on things and I began to get light headed. I also experienced and head ache that began just a few minutes after the loss of my sight. After fifteen minutes or so I regained my vision and my light headedness went away but the head ache increased in intensity and I had a little nausea and weakness. I am in my early twenties and in fair health and never have I had issues like this. Opinions are appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shayoptom
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Hi there,

The nausea and visual symptoms preceding a headache sound like classic signs of a migraine. Regarding your vision: did you see moving flashes or light, or was it dark and stationary? Did it spread or grow over the 15 minutes? Do you know if one or both eyes were affected?

Has this happened to you again since this episode?

Regards,

Shay
|

replied March 1st, 2012
I had these exact symptoms. I didn't see moving flashes. It was dark and stationary and lasted fifteen to twenty minutes on one eye only. What could it be?
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Janelinvegas - it sounds like a temporary ischaemic event, i.e one of the blood vessels in your retina was blocked temporarily. Do you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes? I would strongly recommend that you see your optometrist to check it out.

Take care,
Shay
|

replied April 4th, 2012
Absolutley a migraine. Have had that exact thing happen to me. Loss of peripheral vision. tunnel vision. auras. Then a headache or rather yet a severe pain in the other eye with nausia, heat and cold sweats. I've had them my whole life and they never quite present themselves the same way. Recently (I'm 40) they've become infrequent but when I do have them the pain is mild and instead of the auras and vision loss I just stutter and can't form sentances well. about 10 years ago I never stuttered but I could not quite form sentences or understand when people spoke to me. I'd have to really think to make it make sense.
|