Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

subcortical T2 hyperintensities are slightly greater?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I had an MRI last week. The Dr who saw me at the hosp. told me that everything is all right. I went to get the results and the results and this are the results...

Focal lesion on the anterior right corona radiate likely represented a remote ischemic event. Focal demyelination could have a similar appearance.
Other scattered subcortical T2 hyperintensities are slightly greater than expected for age. The finding is nonspecific bu can be seen in the setting of cronic microcavascular ischemia, a demyelinating process such as multiple sclerosis, vasculitis, complicated migraine headaches,or as the sequels of a prior infectious or inflamatory process.

Is everything right like the Dr told me? UUUUmmm....I dont think so
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2011
Especially eHealthy
katus,

Remember that a radiologist has not seen nor examined you. He/she does not know your history, symptoms, or physical exam. All he/she can do is list any thing that shows up on the MRI. Depending upon the appearance of the finding, it might be something of significance. However, the MRI is a very sensitive machine, which produces a lot of "finding", whose significance is still not known. And, often, finding can be artifacts, or things that show up of the study, but are not really there.

The radiologists will list everything that is possible, or could maybe be possible. This is to cover their a$$. They will also, usually end their dictation with, "clinical correlation is necessary". In other words, are there any physical findings or symptoms to go along with these MRI images?

What were you in the hospital for? Why did you get the MRI?

The radiologist thinks that you may have had an ischemic event (stroke) sometime in the past. However, if you have symptoms to go along with the diagnosis of a demyelinating disease, that could also be a possibility.

Again, you have some scattered findings that are usually found within the brain, but there may be a few more than would be expected for someone your age. Again, what is expected is just a statistic, some people have fewer, other more. It could just be the way you are.

The finding is nonspecific.

But, if you have symptoms, then they could be coming from small ischemic events (strokes) or from one of the listed demyelinating disorders.

If you were not manifesting any symptoms of these disorders, then your physician went with the fact that the findings are nonspecific.

Physicians do not treat MRIs, they treat patients. The MRI is just a test used to help the physician.

The next time you see your physician, have him/her explain the findings in correlation with your symptoms.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?