Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

Study Shows Potential Benefits of Meditation for PTSD

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
in the June 11 issue of academic journal Military Medicine, a new study entitled "Effects of Transcendental Meditation in Veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom With Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Pilot Study" was published. It details a recently-completed pilot study in which 5 veterans of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars practiced transcendental meditation techniques over a period of 8 weeks. After those 8 weeks, the study participants reported a 50% reduction in symptoms including stress and depression as well as an increase in overall quality of life and relationships. The following link has more information about the study and where to access it: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/201 1-06/muom-vsa053111.php
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
i have no doubt it is accurate, i have not studied it but have read such reports on prisoners decades ago.
ALSO not many views of your post and I thing why;
shoule read; "Transcendental Meditation for PTSD"
i think more would read and consider
good for u
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 8th, 2011
Just thought i should share with you guys the latest news about PTSD that's apparently been experiencing by US Veterans.

United States veteran health care is currently in a labyrinth of inadequacy. Add to this the fact that some crucial medications do not work, as reported by a brand new study in the Journal of the American Medical Association. According to the study, probably the most widely prescribed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) narcotics are no more useful than placebos at curing the condition, yet still have severe side effects like weight gain and exhaustion.

Article source: Antipsychotics fail to alleviate PTSD symptoms in veterans

I'm really concerned about the hazardous effects of these so called drugs.This case should be taken seriously, considering the fact that US Veterans are fighting for a cause, and their health should be prioritized in any way possible.
|