Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Struggling to cope after discharge from hospital

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I was in hospital recently because of my depression, and by the end of my time there i was feeling more content and optimistic than i had in years. But then i came home... and after a few days the anxiety was back and i felt i was spiraling down again. I just feel really confused and I guess a bit disappointed and I was wondering if this was something someone else has experienced... or if this is just me being stupid and crazy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2009
I understand that you are confused and a bit disappointed in your experience coming home from the hospital. It is not unusual for the transition back home to be difficult, scary, or overwhelming. There are many differences between home and the hospital- two major reasons being - the structure to your day in the hospital and the constancy of people around you. It is likely that you have a therapist or were referred to one when you were discharged. If you are not comfortable with the one you have, you may want to find another one promptly as it can be very helpful to see a therapist often during this time to prevent relapse.

|

replied August 3rd, 2009
I am not a doctor,but I have been hospitalized too and for me,the best thing I could do was to try to stay busy and I had some friends who were good supports I could talk to,along with a doctor and therapist.It can be hard to go back to "reality" but all of us have to do it.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.