Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Strong urine odors

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
My urine has a strong smell, but I have no symptoms of a uti or anything else. It does not hurt when urinating or burn. I have clear urine and it only has a smell. What can I do to get rid of the problem
?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2010
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A8816
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Generally, bad odor is due to infection, mainly by E coli. This can be diagnosed by a urine culture. Strong fruity odor is due to uncontrolled diabetes. Interestingly, urine odor changes in menopause too. Urinary bladder infection and kidney infections do produce strong smelling urine. Another reason is dehydration. A strong ammonia smell is due to protein breakdown. A routine urine examination along with a urine culture will be able to detect the problem. Drink plenty of fluids and water and see if that helps. Also, if you are on crash diets then protein breakdown can cause an ammonia smell. Also, a diet rich in protein can be the cause.

The other possibility is the presence of sulfite in urine which causes a smell of rotten eggs. You can test its presence by test strips available OTC. If this is positive and you have a smell of rotten eggs in the urine then you need to cut down on food items that contain sulfites. Most of this gas comes from sulfites a person consumes, which is a part of all preservatives. Sulfites are present in all juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready-made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and ready-made pie dough.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on the internet please discuss these possibilities with your doctor and see what tests need to be done. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.