Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

stroke recovery from 16 months ago,

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
User Profile
I had a stroke 16 months ago, which effected my left side. Currently I have my leg back,but my hand it's a diferent story, I can bent my fingers, but I can't straighten them. Is there any correlation between bend and straighten? If yes, what is it?

Cheers,
Yvonne65
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical query on E health forum.

From the history provided, it seems that you have partially recovered from the effects of the stroke. The description of the symptoms in your fingers indicate that you might have developed spastic contractures of the extensor muscles of your hands.

Long duration of disuse and immobility can cause atrophy of the muscles and they tend to become rigid. But Since you have regained your function in your legs, you will be able to recover the function of your hands within the next few months.

Regular physiotherapy, stretching exercises, will be very important in the process to regain your hand function.

You might consider to consult your doctor or a neurologist and your physiotherapist for additional information and interventions.

I Hope this is helpful.

|

replied March 7th, 2011
This is interesting. I had two strokes 5 months ago. It affected my right eye, my left leg and my left arm and hand. The MRI said the strokes were far worse than they actually were. My right eye has not recovered and my left arm and hand has not been able to lift more than a couple of pounds. I can walk but my foot does not want to pick up off of the floor without my thinking about it. But you are saying all of this can and will go away over time?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.