Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Stroke paralysis & recovery

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
User Profile
My 57 yr old Dad has just had a Stroke, although i am an AIN, i'm a bit lost at this minute as to what I, (we) as a Family can do to help his recovery!.
Symptoms are- Mumbled words, Extremely high blood pressure & now diabetes...He was walking & moving fine till today, he now has paralasis down his right side. Doctors have assured us, it may have been a symptom that has crept up, however i work in Aged Care & have seen many a stroke victim, I have never seen this happen!!! They dont seem to concerned as to give him another (MRI) as i think they should, to see if the bleed has errupted again or possibly another stroke in itself..At the start of the week he could use a spoon and swallow ok, but today he cannot do any of the above, looking for persons that this may of happened too or know someone that this has happened to, any insight will be worth a million dollars at this minute,, thanks Peachez Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 31st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are these new symptoms that have developed since the stroke? If so, get another doctor on the case. Symptoms of a stroke don't creep up. They present at the time of the stroke and will improve over time with therapy. Any new symptoms suggest further assault and another MRI or CT (without contrast dye) is indicated. Is your dad at the hospital or in a rehabilitation center or home? He needs to see another doctor if these are new symptoms.
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2008
Exactly as i thought! they are all new symptoms as of today,, he is in hospital and they are going to be moving him tomorrow or friday to the rehab section, but it greatly concerns me that he most definatly has had another one,whether it has been a mini or a major, as these are all new symptoms.. yes i think i will definatly be pushing the issue in the morning , on his behalf for them to test him further,, just so worrying , thanks Antigone.
|

replied April 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
How is your dad? Just checking to see if he is ok. Let me know if you get this.
|

replied June 3rd, 2008
hello everyone
My father had a strike about two weeks. He is still not able to eat or walk. The left side was effected by the stroke. Can a person regain control of bladder and bowels. I am lost and confused.
|

replied July 25th, 2009
recovery of stroke paralysis
New User
i am muzaiyyan ahmed from india i m 26 yr old has just had a Stroke on the date 27th of december2008. after 6 months now i can walk eat. and going to office also but till my left hand not recovered. i take treatment of physiotherapy and accupuncture also. and takes aayurvedic medicines also.
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2010
I'm 44 yo and had a stroke on 22/09/09, which paralysed my left leg and hand. Within first month I could walk without any devices, but I still don't have any control from my knee down.My left hand didn't improve at all.Icompleted my rehabilitation in November last year. I 'm wondering what else I can do, any other treatments, to recover some additional fubction in my hand and/or leg. Any ideas?
|

replied May 18th, 2010
I had a brain stem stroke in Jan 08. Back to work no problem. Sore in the groin area all the time? Right side not quite 100% Speach about 90% will it get better? Will the stiffness go away?
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
i have a question.. my gradpa had a store about two weeks ago. He didnt know...he came hm and was fine. He was able to walk and talk and eat. two days later, he was not able to communicate well. he was taken to the hospital but had been sent hm saying at his age there is not much they can do (age 89) bue he has always been health with no problems.

two days after that, he was completely not able to talk, open his eyes or move anymore. he is now in the hospital. The doctor told me he wanted to sit and scratch his head. i was happy of that news but he said that it is not a good news.

Can anyone tell me why thats a bad sign??? how long till i notice signs of recovery? and what would those be? (movement, talking?)
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
i have a question.. my gradpa had a store about two weeks ago. He didnt know...he came hm and was fine. He was able to walk and talk and eat. two days later, he was not able to communicate well. he was taken to the hospital but had been sent hm saying at his age there is not much they can do (age 89) bue he has always been health with no problems.

two days after that, he was completely not able to talk, open his eyes or move anymore. he is now in the hospital. The doctor told me he wanted to sit and scratch his head. i was happy of that news but he said that it is not a good news.

Can anyone tell me why thats a bad sign??? how long till i notice signs of recovery? and what would those be? (movement, talking?)
|

replied November 13th, 2011
Stroke Paralysis recovery
Magnetic Resonance Stimulation seems to be helping people the most with strokes. There are many studies where even elderly people who have been paralyzed for over half the body for more than 7 years regained all their capabilities within 3 months.
|