Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Stressed Out With College

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I am going to be a junior in the fall and my GPA is lower than I would like it to be. I'm on academic probation and have been doing poorly in some classes I thought I was going to do well in i.e. (chemistry, english classes, math classes, etc.) I am doing a little better this semester and have been doing psychotherapy and also seeing a psychiatrist. I'm pretty anxious and I get nervous a lot, especially around the evening hours. I get some bad anxious feelings that something bad is going to happen. I hope that I can get better grades in the coming fall and during my summer classes at a junior college. I'm a Psychology BA major but I want to switch to Psychology BS major after I get the required GPA that I need.

There's also a lot going on in my family right now with various family members having health issues and struggles with alcoholism and surgeries, etc. I am almost always worried about them in addition to my academics and having all this on my mind at once is very stress-inducing. I am a very cautious and detail oriented individual when it comes to being social and don't really have all that many friends or anyone for a "support group" other than my mom, brother, a couple friends, and my psychiatrist/psychotherapist (also).

My goal is to graduate in four years and I'm already two years in and my grades just aren't where they need to be for me to have a solid chance at going for my masters and eventually PHD. I love psychology and those things and I find a lot of passion and ambition from being in those classes. The thing that holds me back is my stressful family life and exam scores as I have a lot of anxiety with testing as well as some pretty bad ADHD. It's tough to balance that all with exercise and making smart decisions but I don't drink alcohol but I do have a lot of caffeine and energy drinks/pop.

I know diet is a critical component to mental health and well being. I'm always so stressed out from my exam scores and family drama issues that I end up just wanting to sleep a lot and not even get out of bed because I'm quite depressed with how life goes. I truly want to make a change to help my life go in a positive direction but it's really been hard for me. What else can I do to help maintain a positive attitude and live a healthy life whilst all this is going on? What can I do to help my mood and overall well-being; (academic and otherwise)?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2017
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Just as you described your feelings in a detailed manner, you need to vent them out properly with professional help. A clinical psychologist or psychiatrist with psychotherapy sessions can help you greatly. Sometimes its the questions critical to our situation that matter the most and trigger the answers within ourselves for them to be ingrained in us and help us follow through and act on them. Mere advice from others doesnt seep through the same way as an interactive realization with another human being. So i would encourage you to explore that. Take regular exercise, balanced diet and try for daily meditation even 10 minutes a day to help you remain grounded.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Users who thank MUHAMMAD KHALIL for this post: Soccer1058 

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2017
Experienced User
Thank you!
|

replied June 5th, 2017
What you're talking about here is predictable stress - you know you'll be dealing with it. There was a study where employees of a financial institution were shown how stress can actually improve and grow them - as a way of meeting a challenge. Not only did their health improve, but their work performance as well. It's all about where you look at. Hope it helps!
|

replied May 22nd, 2017
Ok Thank you!
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2017
Experienced User
what?
|

replied May 25th, 2017
It is normal. You have to focus on your diet and sleep to minimize your stress. I also advice you to take part in extracurricular activities. This will help you a lot in minimizing your stress.
Hope it helps.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 31st, 2017
Take it easy, everything is gonna be all right.
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2017
I am also a huge advocate for exercise and meditation. I feel like I can't really get into meditation right off the bat though. I need to do something active first. I have started doing Kundalini Yoga and I'm really enjoying it! My yoga instructor does these short videos I've been following along with, and maybe they can help you too! After one of these, I find that I can get into meditation a lot easier. This one is good for if you have a strong emotion like stress or anger. Tell me if you feel different after! Try meditation for a while if you feel more clear headed.

|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.