Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Stress/Anxiety Induced Choking

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Can someone please help me? I have searched all over the internet to try to find an answer for my problem. I am 17 years old and I'm pretty sure I suffer from anxiety. For about 5 years now, whenever something chaotic is happening in my life and I am eating, I start choking. My bite of food gets stuck in the back of my throat and just sits there.. I can still breathe and talk, but I start to panic and I have to run to the bathroom and throw it up. When I do throw it up, all that comes out is spit. Tons and tons of saliva. Also, drinking water only makes it worse. When I try to wash it down, my throat starts to make a horrifying gurgling noise and then I really can't breathe. My dad said that he also had this problem when he was a kid, and it would happen to him when he would be eating and if his parents were fighting. Soooo... I'm just wondering if this is stress/anxiety induced choking, or if I have a disorder or a disease or what.. Please help if you can!! Thanks!
-Skylar
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 29th, 2011
Interesting.
|

replied November 17th, 2011
i have this too ive been suffering with panic attacks/depression/anxiety and that chocking feeling for the past 15 years now and it does come on off im currently going through that chocking feeling now for the past month so i just eat soup now.
|