Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Strange sensation in head

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I get a weird sensation around the back of my head and my upper neck. It isn't painful, in fact it is actually a comfortable sort of feeling. It's pleasurable but not at all sexual or romantic. I notice that I have it when someone touches my hair lightly, which doesn't seem strange (since most people like having their hair played with, I imagine), but I also get it in certain social situations.

It usually has to do with someone making plans for me, such as a teacher helping me decide what to do or someone in a clothing store wondering out loud what shirt would look best on me. The sensation doesn't seem like a deja vu in terms of me recognizing a situation, but it is accompanied by the same sort of surreal, or dreamy feeling. It's very distinct. I have experienced mild symptoms that could mean temporal lobe epilepsy in the past, but I have seen a neurologist and had a CAT scan done with negative results.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what I could possibly mean! I've always had it, but it never occured to me how weird it was until just now. It always seems so strike when special attention is being made for me, as funny as that sounds. I certainly don't get it on stage or anything like that, however. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2009
Supporter
Certainly is different..Especially that it doesnt hurt, is pleasurable..I know I could have my hair combed for hours but a light touch actually hurts..What did the Neuro say?
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
I get the same exact feelings ( I believe ) and under the same circumstances
|

replied July 8th, 2009
I am having severe headaches, my left eyelid is drooping significantly, my limbs on the left side of my body are dangling an kinda tremboling, my vision isblurry, I feel dazy when I AM uo on my feet my ears ring and I feel like I am being pushed on a swing with excessive force. This causes me to fall down and hit my head. I o from cold to very hot in seconds and I am also smelling smoke like from a fire. My eyes itch excessivly and Now i am drooling from the left side of my mouth.
|

replied August 4th, 2009
Me too
Yes! I have had this same feeling since I was a child as well. Except for me, the sensation is more in the back of my throat and radiates throughout my head. If I concentrate on the particular circumstances that started it (identical to what you describe--hair touching, people making plans for me)I can sustain it for ten or twenty minutes. It has always been a mystery to me and I finally decided that it is some kind of psychosomatic release of blood or hormones into my brain. I would love to know the outcome of your diagnosis. Hopefully it's nothing bad...it certainly doesn't feel that way!
|

replied April 25th, 2010
Pleasurable feeling in head and back of neck
I feel that way, too. Sometimes when I am watching a how-to video, where someone is painting or applying makeup; or, cooking shows on The Food Network, where they show someone chopping vegetables or cheese. Sometimes, even if I am just sitting close to someone, and their sleeve gently brushes my skin, I feel that way. I can usually self-induce this feeling by allowing a strand of my hair to tickle my ear or my cheek. Like the original poster said, it is nothing sexual, but entirely pleasurable.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
Did you attempt to explain this to your neurologist? I too am curious about the results you got if any. There is a group of us forming on Facebook right now in hopes of getting this feeling figured out from the scientific point of view. Right now, the creator of the group is calling this pleasurable sensation "ASMR" (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response Group). Details on the acronym are explained in the group.
|