Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Strange Lump in Armpit

On Thanksgiving day I was in the shower and noticed a painful lump in my armpit. It was tender to touch. It was under 1cm big and the skin was red on top. In about 2 days the pain went away and after a few weeks it went away completely. However, my arm pit continued to ache on and off. Not much pain just an annoyance. Then yesterday my armpit was hurting a little more so I felt under my arm and the lump was back. Sore to touch under 1cm. I have never had anything like this in my life and have not other symptoms. Does it sound like an infection and why would it go away and come back. The lump entirely disappeared the first time. Any ideas? I am a 45 year old male by the way.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2011
Lymphoma typically causes painless (and progressive) enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. On the other hand, tender, painful lymph nodes are usually caused by infection or inflammation.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet to patients with concerns regarding enlarged lymph nodes. Therefore, my advice is for you to see your doctor for an examination. If you have persistently enlarged lymph nodes (and especially if they continue to enlarge), then a biopsy may become necessary to rule-out lymphoma, or other cancers involving the lymph nodes.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.