Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Strange looking "scar"

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Ok so about 2, maybe 3 years ago. I got a pretty deep cut on one of my knuckles. There was a thick flap of skin hanging off so I just superglued it alittle bit to keep it there, so that I wasn't missing a chunk of skin, thinking it would heal better. It wasn't even a big cut. It was just deep. But now at least 2 years after it has healed, it's just a big lump of dry skin. From a distance it sort of looks like a large wart. But closer look and it's clearly skin. I can pull some of it off but obviously it just grows back, and is quite stretchy. Theres nothing inside it either (which is why I was digging at it, to see if it was infected or something, maybe kind of stupid) It also sort of goes purplish or dark around the edges when it's cold. I'll show a picture of it below...

So now, my problem. I want to get a tattoo on my right hand. But it will be right next to this ugly circle, wart-like thing which is now bothering me. Can I cut it off and hope it will heal better next time? Should I use sandpaper to try and file it down to a less noticable size?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2012

Forgot to post the picture.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Hi someone59 and welcome to ehealth: Before you do anything see a doctor...You are lucky that you were not seriously infected the first time...Let the doctor take care of it...Take care...

Caroline
|

Hi thanks for the response. But it's just a big lump of scar tissue, I'm pretty sure. No risk of infection or anything.. it's been like this for years? I just want to know if it would be better to cut the whole thing off and let it scar again in hopes that it will scar better. Or try to file it down.
I'm sure the doctor will just say "it's scar tissue". Which would be a waste of his time I'm pretty sure. Plus I've never been to the doctor in over 20 years.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Why take a chance of an infection with filing your skin down or cutting it off?....Talk to your Pharmacist...They are very wise in these areas of health...They should be able to give you the correct answer....Good luck...

Caroline
|