Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Strange Hole in my Gum...What is It?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Hi, I've had a dead tooth since Grade 3; I fell from the stairs and hit my tooth. I've left it alone since then. I'm now 23 years old and decided to save it by having a root canal and have a jacket made around it. The root canal was done by my dentist and I'm about ready to have the jacket. Unfortunately, there is a hole in my gums above the tooth.

In the beginning, there used to be an abscess where the hole is now situated. 7 years ago, I massaged the wheal and it was accidentally pierced, leaving a small point. After the root canal just a few days ago, the dentist noticed that same point, and once she palpated the area, she noticed a hole, like so:

Now my main concern is that this hole doesn't seem to be a wound, but a natural feature, which has evolved over the years. The dentist is telling me that I may have to remove the entire tooth if the hole does not heal. Here's my dentist's explanation: she fears that the filling will leak out of the hole and the entire procedure will be useless or incomplete. The structure inside is such that the hole is connected to the main root.

Is there some way to repair this? Are there other procedures I can look into? Has anybody seen anything like this? I need a second opinion because I doubt the hole is going to "heal", much less close in the next few months. My dentist tells me she'll have to remove the entire tooth should the hole remain.

I really need your advice. Thanks everyone and I hope you can help.

-Kris
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper thabet
|

replied August 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I would suggest you get a second opinion from a very skilled dentist or periodontist...The hole should be closed...You are possibly still getting some drainage and do not realize it...I wouldn't proceed until you are sure that the right steps are being taken...I question if the root canal is already done why must the tooth come out?...I have had a dead tooth in the same area as yours for over 30 years...It still holds fine...Why start a problem when there is no problem?..

Please understand I am not a dentist or have no knowledge of this undertaking that you are doing, but I can't figure out why a dentist would let you spend all this money on a root canal and then tell you that all this work has been in vain and now wants to taken it out...

These are just my thoughts...

Caroline
|

replied October 10th, 2011
hole in gums
hey i got a similar problem. below the second tooth behind my bottom right molar there is a hole in my gums. its small about the size of a pencil head. i poked it with a paper clip and could feel the tooth on the other end of it. the hole is not painful. nothing gets stuck in it but it does pus. i squeez it and remove the pus every couple of hours. im worried that this might be serious ive noticed that it was there since two days ago and it has not gotten any smaller as i was hoping it would. it hasnt gotten any bigger though either. i cant afford a trip to the dentist and i dont have any sort of insurance. if anybody knows what this is id appreciate it
|

replied October 14th, 2011
Hello superfats69,you have an infection on that tooth.It is good that the pus was coming out and is draining other wise you will feel some pain.Dentist call this inflammation a gum boil.You need to take some antibiotics to clear the infection.You need to visit your dentist for treatment on the involved tooth.Although the use of antibiotics will clear the infection,it could recur since the source of infection was not treated.You really need to see your dentist.
|

replied October 15th, 2011
Hey thabet. thanks for the information i knew it was an infection just wasnt sure if it was serious. its nice to put a name on it even though it sounds gross "gum boil" lol. im going to try and get emergency medical and go to the dentist and if that wont work ive been putting money away for several months and i will just have to use that. again thanks i feel alot more relived now that i know what it is.
|

replied October 15th, 2011
Hey thabet. thanks for the information i knew it was an infection just wasnt sure if it was serious. its nice to put a name on it even though it sounds gross "gum boil" lol. im going to try and get emergency medical and go to the dentist and if that wont work ive been putting money away for several months and i will just have to use that. again thanks i feel alot more relived now that i know what it is.
|