Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Strange extra air pocket

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
When I puff up my cheeks with air, and then force the air to the back coner of my left cheek, it feels like the air is going into an extra pocket kind of under my ear and where my jaw and ear meet, and all around that area. It doesn't hurt if I do it for a little, but if I apply a lot of pressure and do it many times, it starts to feel sore. A lot of peopel have told me it's impossible it's air, but I am fairly certain it is, because it feels just like air. I'm worried that if I apply too much pressure it will cause damages, or that if I do it with water or juice then that will also cause damages. I've already pushed liquids back there, and it starts to really hurt and sting. I know that the simplist problem would be to stop, but I'm the kind of person that when something like this is worrying me, I can't stop and I just do it more and with more pressure.
So, should I be worried, is this a bad thing? Can I damage something by putting too much pressure/forcing a liquid in there?
Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2010
oh my god I have this too, have you found out anything yet that is causing it?
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Unfortunately no. But you and I should compare other thigs in that area to see if we have anything over-lapping that might be the cause! For example, I can wiggle my ears and my jaw pops around a lot.. could this be a cause maybe?
|

replied November 7th, 2010
Strange Extra Air Pocket
My daughter has this problem too...what could be causing this? We are super worried!
|

replied April 4th, 2011
I spent a while Googling this as I've had the same issue a couple of times (though not ever painful). Know this page is old, but it pops up at the top of a lot of search results, so hopefully I'm saving others some searching time.

I found that it's called parotid insufflation. It's when you force air into your salivary gland (the parotid gland) through the duct that brings the saliva into your mouth. It's not a serious condition, usually, as the air will eventually find it's way back out, the way it came in. There is a possibility of infection, however.

Here's what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parotid_duct

http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/a bstract/121/12/1426

Hope that this helps someone out!
|

replied January 7th, 2014
I have this too, and I always have and always assumed others have as well.
I''m in medical school, and I was discussing it with my mother as I was pushing the air bubbles back out manually; as I usually do.
She is an NP and suggested it may be a first brachial remnant. Which would explain why most people don''t have this. Essentially it is a small Pocket like thing that is a remnant of the gills humans have in an early embryonic state. The first brachial tubes terminate exactly where I have this weird air pocket....
Sounds plausible.
|