Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Stomach virus epidemic

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I recently returned from France where the population was experiencing a stomach virus epidemic. I believe that I also caught a stomach virus ... but it's been a week. How long do these things typically take before clearing up?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2009
stomach virus epidemic
I also have the stomach virus, i have had it for 7 days, it does not seem to want to go, i have had bad heads, dizzyness, sickness and diarrhea. and still have upset stomach, i would like to know how long it takes to clear up as well.
|

User Profile
Supporter
It took about 10-12 days, but it has passed. Still have occasional diarrhea, but taking gentle bulk laxatives (with psyllium husks) has helped me a lot. Also, stay away from meat!
|
Users who thank rooted for this post: cherrypie2009 

stomach virus epidemic
thanks for the advice, does bulking fibre such as fybogel powder(with psyllium husks) work for diarrhea, i thought is was only for constipation. i hope it clears up soon, my boss is going mad me being off work, havnt been back since xmas hols.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I was actually taking the fibre to clear everything out of there. Fibre is mainly for constipation, but also for healthy and normal bowel function. Diarrhea is your body's way of getting rid of bacteria...and although some medications can plug it up, I prefer to let it "run its course". Have you gone to see a doctor?
|
Users who thank rooted for this post: cherrypie2009 

stomach virus epidemic
Yes have seen doctor, shes sure its a virus, but has sent a sample off for testing, she says its got to run its course. Poo very smelly and contains mucous. not nice.
|