Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Stomach ulcers

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Heya! I'm 20 years old and I have a Female friend who is 15 Days older than I am. I would like to know more something she told me the other day so I Googled it and this site was the first thing that came up! She recently had a Baby Boy who is now a little over 1 Year old {The calculations would make it that she had him a little after she herself turned 18!} and while she was narrating her story to me she said to me that she has Stomach Ulcers. I would like to know more about Stomach Ulcers please. For example : What is a Stomach Ulcer? What causes a Stomach Ulcer? Is it contagious say through Kissing or Sexual Activities? Can it be cured? Methods & Advice to relieve the pains brought about by a Stomach Ulcer! Also the matter of Stomach Ulcers in Teen Mothers & Young Ladies! Or is this too much to ask in one go? Please respond to me when you get the chance! I would like to educate myself on this topic and show my friend that I am not one to forget about something that severe that she revealed to me! That I am still on her side! Thank you all!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2009
Supporter
Stomach ulcers are not contagious. It is now believed that they are caused by a bacteria called h. pylori and can be treated by medication. No one seems to know where that bacteria comes from or how to avoid it. (In my case, one round of drugs solved the problem). Previously, it was thought that stress caused ulcers. I am not going to agree with or dispute that claim; I simply know that medication helped me. Ulcers are actually holes/ sores/ lesions in the stomach lining which can sometimes bleed and cause pain. I was in my early thirties when I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer, so I have no information for you about teens and stomach ulcers.
In my case, I have a history of stomach problems and will be sick if I drink too much fruit juice, because the citric acid irritates the stomach lining. I also have problems taking aspirin or ibuprofen because they cause pain and nausea. I don't know if my previous stomach sensitivites made me vulnerable to ulcers or if it was just a coincidence.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank deteragram for this post: Trinbagonian1225