Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Stomach pains, mucus in stools, thin-layering in stools.

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello,

I've been to the doctors about 5/6 times now. On first appointment, I was told to wait a month, see if my pain died down and then come back. I did, the pain got worse, nothing helpful or good came out of it.

On my second appointment, the doctor poked my stomach around, I explained how the pains were in my left abdomen, that I noticed mucus in my stools and had sore pains in the morning/night. I was told to give it another 2 weeks and come back if it was still there. He asked if I was stressed, I said no, I'm at university, 18 years old, no stress in my life, no issues that would cause stress.

I went back in 2 weeks and I saw another doctor, she said it could be IBS after I said it was getting worse, she prescribed me Mebeverine and Fexofenadine (for my hayfever). She said to take them for 2 weeks, then come back and see if they're helping. I've only been taking them a week and my symptoms are getting worse.

I've had what looks like plastic lining in my stools, more mucus, inconsistencies, some are clumped together, some are small, lots of small droplets, most recent was very dark with a large lining sheet inside the stool, the largest it's been. I see food that hasn't been digested (such as pea's) and the pains are now all throughout the day.

To make it more odd, I am a homosexual, my partner has also now started to have similar problems, he is seeing mucus in his stools. Previous to this, my partner had worms, on a first occasion, we took a Mebendazole tablet, then and I stayed for a week in his house and my partner (weeks on) still had irritation around his anus and worms in his stools, so we both took a worming tablet, again Mebendazole. I have already done a urine test (for Chlamydia), a blood test and a stool sample, which all came back as okay; I was puzzled how my stool samples came back normal, I have taken many photos, all showing them not okay (I can provide, if somebody wants to see what I'm attempting to describe).

Me and my partner were both virgins and did have unprotected sex, but should I be worried about something? I was planning on going back the doctors and explaining this, saying how my partner is having the same symptoms and pains (except he has constipation, bloating, bad wind) whilst I do not.

From the pains, I tend not to eat a large breakfast, I rarely have lunch and I only have my main meal. Could this be IBS (a fluke for both of us to have it) or an intestinal bacterial infection, shall I repeat a stool sample?

I strongly appreciate all help, I have had this for what I can remember being the best part of 5 months, at least.

Regards,
Kirk
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the history it does seem that you might be having Irritable bowel syndrome.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and diarrhea). These symptoms usually are present for at least 12 weeks in a patient during the previous one year, and unfortunately the onset or subsidence cannot be predicted.

IBS is diagnosed by its signs and symptoms and by the absence of other diseases. IBS does not cause any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events.

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, or antidepressants).

For symptom relief, you may consider to take antacids for acid relief, activated charcoal for bloating and stomach gas issues.

You may consider to consult your physician or a gastroenterologist for counselling if you have any additional doubts.

|

replied September 17th, 2012
severe cramping in my stomach, mucus in stools
hello, since saturday morning ive been having the same problems, waves of intense cramping in my abdomen which makes me double up in pain, my stools have consisted in small pellets like a rabbits with alot of mucus, ive never had problems with my bowels before, and for the last 3 days im constantly on the toilet yet nothing really comes out besides the above, my stomach is tender when i touch it, and i get a sharp pain if i bend over etc
i recently bought a shih tzu puppy who sometimes eats his own stools if i dont catch him in time, could this be some kinda of germ or parasite from him? altho i wash my hands thoroughly everytime i clean up after him but i remember on friday night i had some friends round and i did forget to wash my hands.
any help or advise would be great thanks as i didnt get a wink of sleep last night through the pains.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.