Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Stomach pains leading to panic attacks. Ulcer?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi been having problems with my stomach for 3 and a half months now and was wondering if anybody was experiencing the same things as me or had any info on what i could do to help.

I have a dull pain in my upper abdomen just below the bottom of my rib cage almost all of the time and sometimes the pain will be a gnawing/burning pain, additional pains occur everynow and then in the left/right lower abdomen areas. At times i get really nauseous/dizziness and what feels like a lump at the back of my throat whcih makes me feel like i need to be sick, but for some reason im not vomitting. my stools were inconsistent at the start, it was loose and in bits but now as i have been eating a better diet that seems to have got better, ive only had dhiarrea* 3 times in the last 4 months.

I work as an electrician and so am up early in the mornings to go to work, but when i get up and go downstairs i get this chill like feeling in my stomach and the pain starts. I have to get a bus and a train to get into work and this dosn't help with the nausea, sometimes the pain doesn't ease up by the time i get to the station so i just go back home, sometimes the pain isnt that bad i continue with the journey, which is very unpleasent when your stomach hurts. Usually when i get to work and start working the pain eases up, sometimes it doesn't and i go back home but last time i went to go back home i had a panic attack whilst getting on the train. I couldnt work it out, ive never been afraid like that and ive never been travel sick or clostraphobic so why was i panicking?

Ive been to the doctors about 7/8 times and at first they diagnosed me with IBS and so I went and asked a few people i know who have IBS and they said the symptoms wern't the same so i went back to the Dr and she said it could be a stomach ulcer so now I'm awaiting an endoscopy, hopefully something treatable shows up so I can get rid of this pain. It's so frustrating.

since the panic attack i haven't been going in to work and I haven't been going out at all and as a 20 year old male its annoying. Thanks for reading such a long post and if anyone can help please reply.

Regards Marc
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 12th, 2008
panic attacks and ulcers
Hi. I just recently had the same symptoms recently and I already experience panic attacks, so I was wondering if maybe I have ulcers? If you get an answer back on your question, please let me know. Thanks.
|

replied January 31st, 2009
Stomach problems, and now panic attacks.
I've been looking everywhere for something to help me work out what is going on as I have had the EXACT same symptoms as you. It started out as really bad stomach pains and feeling sick in the upper of my stomach, a dull ache, sometimes a pulse-like feeling. Then about 4months later until now (it's been 8months since my stomach started playing up bad) I've been having panic attacks. I've NEVER had them before. Sometimes they come when I'm driving or when I'm in a shop or something. I'm about to start TAFE and I need to get this sorted out as the 2 times I've been to the TAFE I've nearly had an attack. There is no way I can do a course while I feel like this... Please let me know if you get an answer or solution to your problem.
|

replied February 6th, 2010
please help
I thought i was the only one who had this problem! it started almost 2 months ago. I had really bad stomach pain and nausea for about a week in my upper stomach. I went to the doctor and she said it was gastritis. I was on meds for that. It started feeling better in the afternoons, and now it just hurts in the mornings. It will usually feel better by the time I get to school. then one day on the bus home, I had an anxiety attack out of nowhere. Now my doc thinks that all of my stomach pain is from anxiety. I dont think that thats right, though. Please let me know if you ever figure out what is wrong with you. i would really like to know.
thanks & good luck
|

replied March 5th, 2010
Panic Disorder Effects the Stomach
I am currently 25 years old and have suffered from panic disorder since the age of 10. The panic has always been connected to my stomach- when I am at high times of panic/stress my stomach will be the most vulnerable. I had went to my family doctor a while back and even went as far as getting an abdominal ultra sounds to see if I had an ulcer- which I did not and other stomach testing which all came up negitive. I have come to realize that the stomach problems are secondary to the panic- when the panic is treated there will be no stomach issues. It has now been 15 years of dealing with this disorder on and off - it seems to effect me the most in times of big change. Me personally- I do not want to be on medication because most all anixety medications I have tried seem to give me a "not myself" side effect even though it has been effective on keeping panic attacks away. Anyway I think it's good to atleast know the source and work from there and I would guess you are having the panic 1st and the stomach 2nd- I would focus on treating the panic. Hope some of this may help.

Best of luck
|

replied March 10th, 2010
I thought I was the only person that has experienced this issue. My situation is a little different, I had a gastric bypass about 9 years ago and about a year ago I was told I have a large and deep ulcer that was more than likely caused by my gastric bypass. Following being diagnosed with an ulcer, I've been diagnosed with panic disorder. No matter how much medicine I take for my ulcer the pain does not go away, the worst the pain gets then more the panic attacks come, to the point sometimes I can't drive or sit at my desk at work. I met with a Gastroenterologist, he advised surgery to revise the gastric bypass but in the meantime while my surgeon figures out what to do and the insurance company argues back and forth with the surgeon I'm left in pain on a daily basis. Who knew an ulcer could hurt so much...
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Hi,

I am having the exact same thing but its strange... On and off I get this sometimes dull but sometimes very sharp pain in my upper stomach(kinda feels like someone is gripping it really tight or twisting it like crazy or stabbing me on occasion) and while the pain is there I feel a bit nautious but not to bad really. Now the first time this pain started I ran to the bathroom thinking I was going to throw up but I couldn't and the pain was so bad it had me on the floor and I was gripping my stomach keeled over and then panik flooded over me. I had to stay on the floor because I could not stand up (Thank god I cleaned it earlier) and I was in there for at least 10min in pain. So I propped myself into a sorta folded leaf position(yoga)sat there and took deep breaths and then the pain was gone! Just like that. I was really confused because it stopped for about a week and then it came back but it was usually at night while im sitting down intermittently. Now we go to yesturday, I had gone to bed and it takes me a while to sleep so as I was lying there tossing and turning and after about a couple hours I fell asleep. I was asleep for about an hour befor I woke and and low and behold the pain was there. But this time when I went into my position thing it did not go away it just kept like a dull/sharp ache in my upper stomach and sat there. Well it kept me up all night til about 3:30 when I passed out and woke up at 4 thinking it was time to go to work but I do not start getting up til 4:15am. I was at work and there was a bit of discomfort, not much to bother me at all and I get off work at 3:00pm and I am really tired so I lie down in bed about 4:30pm to nap and did not fall asleep til about 6:00pm. Well I wake up its not 7:32 and the pain has returned and it wont go away! I have not had a panic attack since the first time and my doctor just prescribed my some ativan to take at night to help me sleep but its not the sleep problem its the pain! And its all in my upper stomach and it comes and goes but this is the second night it has woke me up while I am trying to sleep. What did you guys find out???
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Have you spoken to your doctor to get an upper endoscopy to determain whats causing the pain in your stomach? Start there, by getting to root of the problem, believe me, it took several visits and complaining about the vomitting and pain. The pain makes me feel as if someone is cutting you with glass from the inside out. Although my regular doctor did prescribe medicaiton (Prilesec) the dosage was not nearly high enough to counter act the size and depth of my ulcer. By me getting an upper endoscopy (picture of the stomach)I recieved a dosage much higher, which counter acts the acids that caused the pain. Now I'm on Prilesec and sucralfate, sucralfate does nothing. The only thing I can think of regarding my panick attacks is, pain in your stomach feels like something you can't control and triggers something ( a nerve, a chemical) because it's a different type of pain when it's your leg or arm, for that you can take pain medication. But what if your pain is in your stomach, there is no pain medication for that. Severe pain in your stomach makes you feel helpless, you realize you can't get away from it...it's just there and you feel hopeless, afraid and if your pain is like mine, you also feel like it's never going to end, what ever you do, where ever you go the pain is still with you.
|

replied March 29th, 2010
Sucralfate goes a long way towards healing the mucosal cells and stopping necrosis. It is very well tolerated and should be considered in when people present like the folks above. Reducing the acid is one way to go but a combo therapy of acid reduction and mucosal healing is a good avenue of attack.
|

replied August 19th, 2010
ive had these ulcers for going on 5 years, for the last 18 mth they have been quiet, just over a week ago i had to visit my gp as ive got neck problems he wrote me out a perscription for what i thought was pain killers i could have, knowing ive got stomach ulcers!!!! 2 days later im on the bathroom floor screaming at 3am, i manage to crawl into my living room and make the phonecall for an ambulance after 13 hours in hospital im asked why on earth somebody with stomach ulcers is taking diclopenic, iam in agony ive been given 2 lots of medication by the hospital, ive been off work over a week and on monday are due to go on a holiday its taken me 2 years to save for. iam so angry as a single parent my gp could do this to me and leave me in such pain i cry most of the time now
|

replied June 15th, 2011
Panic attacks and ulcer symptoms
I have had stomach pain and tightness for about 6-7 months now, Zantac and Prilosec didn't work for me, my Urea breath test for H. Pylori turned up negative, but the symptoms are a gnawing pain and tightness that won't go away. Now I am getting these panic attacks recently and I am starting to fear leaving the house. I wonder if I am lacking some vitamins like magnesium or B vitamins as a result of the stomach pain and this is contributing to the attacks. My blood test showed that my B12 was on the low side.

I also agree that the pain feels like something you can't control. I feel like a can't take a deep breathe even to relax bc of the tightness, its awful.

Has anyone had a happy ending from this? I don't want to live likethis forever!
|

replied February 12th, 2012
Finally relief!
Hi all! Wow I thought I was the only one with this problem! The panic attacks and anxiety go hand in hand with what I eat. When they were bad I didn't want to go anywhere and was so glad I work from home. It took me a while to figure it out but I have finally found relief for it. I take Pepcid AC Max Srength twice a day and take pre and probiotics work great.

Unfortunately my 20 yr old son now has the same problems after eating a lot of greasy and spicy food at college. His was just found out one week ago. We are proactively working on getting his stomach problems resolved.

I will say it does get worse after stress but it in time it does get better! I have finally found relief and it is working great. I am starting to be able to eat more foods again. I hope you all can find relief because it is a terrible thing to have. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.

But their is relief and help!
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Thanks!
Thanks for the help. This sounds like me. Possibly an ulcer and possibly just anxiety. I think I will go to the GI dr and discuss this issue with him. I wound up in the ER this week with a terrible anxiety attact. A few days latter the throbbing in the intestinal track. I have diverticulosis and could be having a flair up. If it is not better by monday I will go to dr. Was not having pain when I had the panic attack. This all makes sense to me. Glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem!
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Thanks!
Thanks for the help. This sounds like me. Possibly an ulcer and possibly just anxiety. I think I will go to the GI dr and discuss this issue with him. I wound up in the ER this week with a terrible anxiety attact. A few days latter the throbbing in the intestinal track. I have diverticulosis and could be having a flair up. If it is not better by monday I will go to dr. Was not having pain when I had the panic attack. This all makes sense to me. Glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem!
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Hi,I hope your problem has been sorted:) but if it hasn't then I think I can help! I had panic attacks for 3 years with all the same symptoms everyone is mentioning. It got so bad I was terrified of public transportation out of fear of having a panic attack. Throughout my life I've been diagnosed with ,ibs ,stress , seasonal adjustment depression ,anxiety ,depression ,stomach ulcers ..the lot.i was even put on anti depressants(which I took for a week cause they made me sick!) .i got so bad I wouldn't leave my house and was afraid to eat cause I knew it would just make me feel horrible. One day I just got a weird thought that it might thought be wheat that's the problem...i went to the doctor to get tested for coeliac disease and boom! The problem was wheat the whole time! I highly suggest you go get tested for it or try a gluten free diet for a few weeks and see how you feel!I can't promise that this will be the same as me but it definitely sounds the same and considering I've been through what you have I know the feeling that you will try anything to make it stop. Try a gluten free diet!tryst me ,im 100% better now (bar the few slip Ups I have..wheat is in so many things you wouldn't suspect) hope this was helpful Smile
|

replied August 29th, 2013
I have had many of the same symptoms. I have what I think may be panic attacks but the pain for me comes and goes. I have diverticulitis and the only time that I feel like I am having a panic attack is when I am having a diverticulitis episode. When I go to the doctor and get an antibiotic all symptoms disappear and don't come back until the next episode which is often times years in between
|