Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Stomach Pains beginning with Mono

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I was diagnosed with mono 9 days ago. Since being "diagnosed" I have noticed discomfort in my abdomen. It's an outward pushing pressure feeling around my stomach. It's causing my breathing to be abnormal because the discomfort is constant. It's almost as if I'm "backed up". During the first week of mono, I did not eat much solid food (due to a severe sore throat). My bowel movements were flaky and light. I've stayed hydrated through this sickness.

4 days ago I was put on antibiotics for a mild bacterial infection in my mouth after a follow-up visit to the doctor. I had 2 movements of green liquid diarrhea after taking my first dose (2 pills) of antibiotics and also had a stool softener in my system. The other night I took a Ducolax suppository because the discomfort was aggravating. However, nothing came out. I've had some solid bowel movements that produced and some more runny bowel movements. The fact that I'm having bowel movements leads me to believe I'm not backed up - can you have bowel movements that produce and be "backed up"??

The worst of the discomfort is on my left side a few inches from my belly button.
Could it be because my spleen is swollen and maybe my liver and it's pushing on my stomach? I'm a pretty skinny guy 6' 2" 150lbs and I don't typically eat much.

However, admittedly, I eat a lot of greasy food and have several sodas a day. Since getting mono, I have eaten no greasy food and have had no soda - until yesterday, actually.

I'm pretty much over any mono symptoms - except for a rash that comes at night. (Though I didn't get it last night)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2011
I was diagnosed one month ago and the stomach pain is coming from your spleen. besides fatigue.. The swollen spleen is the only symptom I have left.
|

replied October 18th, 2011
The pain went away after several weeks. It was probably the spleen being enlarged pushing things around. Bowel movements weren't the most productive during this time, so that probably didn't help with the pain/pressure.
|

User Profile
So how long would you say you had the pain after you started feeling better because I would like some round about time frame
|

I considered the pain/discomfort still not feeling better. I would say 2 weeks? I did not have any fatigue. In fact, I COULDN'T sleep for the first 3 or 4 nights of mono.
|

replied December 14th, 2012
I was diagnosed two days ago with mono although my symptoms began two weeks ago with a slight sore throat, one day of fever some fatigue but mostly abdominal pain/discomfort. I tend to worry about things more than I should. My first ER visit showed an enlarged liver and spleen ( both slightly) all other tests were normal except my white cell count. Has anyone else experienced this sometimes quite painful stomach pain??
|