Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Stomach pain every morning (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I have lower abdomen pain (lower front left area) every single morning. It pretty much hurts every morning without fail. The pain varies though from annoying to extremely painful (feel like I'll throw up). Food does seem to relieve the pain. I know this is a sign of ulcers.

However I have been to the doctor NUMEROUS times for all sorts of tests. I've even had a endoscopy done (whatever it's called where they stick a tube down your throat - extremely uncomfortable.) They took two samples for testing and looked around. Checked for several things including Pylori. Nothing came up positive. They did not see any ulcers. The only noted thing was a possible opening between my stomach and esophagus. (not sure what the term was) I was put on Prilosec (spel?) which actually did help the heartburn (which used to be horrible) and I haven't had any issues there.

But this constant stomach pain every morning is extremely hard to deal with. Btw, the only other thing I can think of is it SEEMS like when I don't get plenty of rest or if I wake up very early in the morning it is worse than if I had slept longer or don't wake up as early.

I truly appreciate your comments and any assistance in this area. I'm here to respond if you have any questions. Thank you,

Kev
Male
Healthy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper chocweed
|

replied March 18th, 2009
hi kev,
my name is mark and im from the philippines. i experience the same thing in the morning. i feel this pain for the last 3 years or so. i am a student and yes, i'm in so much stess all the time. i am 22 years old i haven't gone to the doctor for check up. is there any cure regarding this issue? hope you can give some useful insight. thank you very much.

have a good day! GOD bless
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
My teenage son has had very similar symptoms for years. Finally, someone clued us in that it might be mold. We took everything out of his room and did a thorough cleaning, with extra attention to his window, where condensation had caused some mold to grow around the edges, then we re-caulked the edges of the frame. Since then, he has not had a recurrence of these pains. What a relief, especially since his doctors were not able to find anything wrong with him, and therefore were not able to help him.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
Early A.M. Stomach pain
I have had this problem my whole life, like the original poster, I have had upper and lower endocopies as well as small bowel capsule test(where they make you swallow a camera and it records its voyage) I have had H pylorri tests as well. THe results came up negative for celiacs, ulcers, or anything useful. All the can tell me is that there are signs of irritations in your small bowel, and that it appears that there are small tears that have appear and heal. They also put my on prilosec,protonix,reglan, etc... it was a ridiculous amount of medication.

The conculsion is that every morning I wake up just like you in serious pain, it has come to the point that I am depressed because the whole morning I spend in pain, without a full nights rest. I can get vicodin and valuum but then I get no work done. My doctor prescribed marijuana but it just like vicodin only masks the symptoms. However it does release tension in my guts and sometime i can get back to sleep. but once again, I am on drugs for something doctors cant figure out. It is very painful, and I hope we can find something to cure this obstruction in nour lives.
|

replied October 26th, 2011
stomach pain
That's what it feels like for me exactlty. Small tears in bowel. The lower abdominal pain can be extremely terrible (like right now) and other times not as bad. I ate hot peppers late last night, that may have irritated it and made it more painful. But it happens even if I don't eat late. I'm 31, work out every day and take my vitamins and that doesn't matter. I've read on here about others with upper abdominal pain who vomit and mine is lower and it goes out the other end. I used to have a very stressful life years ago and now I don't really at all but I think some scarring from whatever damage that caused is there. I've never had any tests done because I don't have insurnace. I started having this pain about a month ago and hope it isn't a sign of something serious. I wish you all the best of luck.
|

replied February 13th, 2010
Stomach pain every morning
I have had the same symptoms every morning for years. Im 28 now. I had my gall bladder taken out 5 yrs ago and the Dr. said he saw something but when i had a series of GI tests done they couldn't find anything. I keep food or water by my bed so I can grab it if it wakes me during the night or to early. I dont usually have the problems during the day but once in a while I will. I have to stop everything I'm doing and wait for it to go away. Feels like a lump/knot in my upper stomach or lower esophagus ,punched it the gut, need to vomit and sometimes I get dizzy all at the same time. It goes away in a minute or so (if I can get to food or beverage) and doesn't usually bother me the rest of the day. If I don't have food or drink around its friggen painful for a while! Sad Now I don't have insurance but it doesnt matter, they probably will just tell me they cant find anything again. Sorry to hear everyones pain but gives me some peace of mind knowing others "feel" the same or similar.
|

replied May 14th, 2011
Stomach pain.
Iv had the same problem, it sounds just like everyone here described. stomach pain every morning along with the vomit feeling and in some cases throwing up 3-4 times every morning. And lets not forget, the medical professionals not finding anything. I believe i have the answer, and its also the reason doctors cant find out whats wrong. whether this is your solution im not sure,(i hope it is)but for me (not even knowing it) it was, and the answer DRUM ROOOLLLLLL.......Anxiety, y does it happen in the morning?, because your dreaming bad or thinking bad thoughts, the result is anxiety which manifests it self through stomach and abdominal pain when you wake up, leaving you wondering why am i hurting so much, as far as what to take, i started with lorazapam 1mg b4 bed and not a problem, i did that for about 2 months and started not to take it, and the result is still good. Hope this helps to anyone.

Note, if you've smoked pot to make your pain go away, that is another sign, as pot to reduces anxiety in "some" people.

If what i stated above does not work, then here is a list of some of the things i came up with to help with pain.

-sit/lay in a nice warm shower (seems to work the best)
-Tylenol (down side, you gotta wait for it to kick in and that's if it does anything)
-Anything that will help you get a deeper sleep (seemed to be less painful the deeper i slept.)

OR if all else fails!
-DURING THE PAIN go to a doctor or hospital so you can describe the exact pain and location, or---once pain goes away, try to trigger it, if you are successful, then you've just figured out whats caused it. DON'T GET DOWN OR DEPRESSED BECAUSE DOCTORS CANT HELP! THERE IS ALWAYS A CURE! remember, you are your best diagnostics tool!!! Keep your head on right and you will find a solution if this one doesn't work.

Best of luck!
Cheers!

If anyone needs more info don't hesitate to message me!
|

replied August 4th, 2011
"Stomach" pain.
I am not a doctor but I do understand where most of you are coming from every morning with the intense pains in those regions. I'm 28 and have had pains every morning in my stomach for the last 4-5 years. I've found a manageable way to get through each morning with as little discomfort as possible. (Yes, it still can be very bothersome at times but the more you dwell on it the worse it gets.) I do partially agree with xMindxOverxMatterx that a large portion of it may be caused by anxiety. It sucks and it hurts but do NOT just sit around and feel bad for yourself. The depression will just make the pains worse take my word for it...

So... What does help make the pain better for me?

1. Having water and food by the bed when I need it each morning. (Drinking water is great and all but for me what really helps is eating.) Some evenings I can tell my stomach won't want to hold down anything heavy such as a peanut butter sandwich so I'll keep an apple by my bed instead. Often I'm in so much pain I do not even want to eat. I KNOW I have to so I'll take a small bite despite how much I may not want to until my body adjusts and the pain subsides. You know your body best, find out what you need to make your life easier every morning.

2. Marijuana. If you have access to this to help you if the nausea gets too intense or you can't relax, by all means... if you know this works for you...

3. Sex. I suppose you don't need anyone, but if you have "someone" who wants to "help" you out in the morning I've found it definitely gets my mind off the pain for a good while & also lets me get a good sleep for the remainder morning.

4. Simply make sure you are comfortable. There's already too much going on in our every day lives, find a way to relax. Take a walk, take a shower, or have a conversation... just keep on smiling Smile

Hope this helps.
|

replied February 13th, 2012
Id agree to disagree some. . .
Id agree with you on all aspects but I will have to disagree with some of what you said. . .

I'm about to be 27 and am a mother of a 2 year old. . yes life is stressful but i am in no way anxiouse. . . i am an avid marijuana user (every day) but yet i still wake up EVERY morning with the stomach pains. . . at first i thought it was from being lactosentolerant (which i have no been disgnoased for but certain flags prooved there after eating cheese and milk) . . that have now gone to my chest and back (feels like an elephant sitting on me). . . as well as pain where my tail bone is. . .even though i use marijuana,medically, for anxiety (as pills made me suicidal) I can say im quite happy and havent been manic depressed for years. . . so whose to say that the stomach pains are NOT anxiety. . .?? any other thoughts??? as i do feel weak and light headed as well from time to time. . ..
|

replied January 25th, 2012
stomach pain every morning, ulcers? infection? acid? cancer?
i have had stomach pain every morning for about a year now, i am 21, i have always had the same eating habits so i know its not what i eat, ive lived in three different places since it started so i know its not the enviroment, ive started to think it might be something serious. ive smoked marajuanna for 8 years and cigarettes for two and these are the only known unhealthy acts i take part in, are we all smokers? it might be related. ive noticed alot have suggested smoking so obviously your familiar maybe its the problem. ive had a hard life like most people but i consider myself to be more strong minded than most people and dont let any chemical imbalances get to me that may affect my mood or make me depressed or anxious. so i really feel like thats not the answer at least for me you might be sad and ive always heard depression or sadness is somehow bad for you but i like to beleive in things that are proven or that i have observed and figured out myself and not just read in a book or heard from someone and assumed that the information i was reading or hearing was correct. we are all gunna die eventually but the later the better and this is starting to scare me and im also scared of being operated on having never been or broken a bone in my life.
|

replied May 1st, 2012
Morning Stomach Pain
I am a 22 year old female, and just recently I started to get pains in my stomach when I wake up. They seem to calm if I can grab a quick drink, but that's just a temporary fix as food is what actually seems to stop it/slow it.
Interestingly enough I also smoke marijuana everyday. It has happened every morning for the past few months and I'm scared that when I go to the doctor I will take all of these scary tests that will turn up nothing.
I was diagnosed with GERD a while ago, which is basically just a combination of being a smoker and having heartburn/acid reflux, so maybe it is just a heartburn related problem and not an ulcer, on the other hand, maybe this can lead to an ulcer in the future?
|

replied June 20th, 2012
I'm 21, and I too have had the same issue for about a year. every morning with out fail I wake up with awful cramps in my upper abdominal region. I've tried water and food by my bedside, I've tried not eating too late, but nothing seems to work. When I brought it up to my doctor ( being the complete jerk that I now realize he is) he simply blew it of as menstral cramps, when clearly I'm not menstrating through out every month. But through all this I can truly say the ONLY thing that seems to help my pain is marijuana.
God bless, and I hope everyone finds help with their pain.
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Bloated pain in morning.
I am 24 year old female. When I was a teenager I had an eating disorder where I would binge/purge/starve myself but this only lasted for about 2 years and then I started smoking. I hardly smoke now (maybe 5/week) and I dont have an eating disorder anymore and I am generally a healthy eatr and work out regularly. However I wake up every morning with bloating and paqin and nothing makings it better unless I have a bowel movement but the thing is I dont need to go every morning!! So the pain just persists throughout the day. I have had so many tests done and Drs have told me I have IBS and I am not satisfied with this diagnosis. I am considering doing a heavy detox and slowly reintroducing all foods to assess what the issue is. I am at a loss with my stomach. The pain makes me feel awlful and the way I look compounds everything. At a loss. Sometimes I wonder if some major food producers have changed something in thier products or if somethig has changed the way they purify water because as yet I cant relate this pain to anything. I have a friend who is a food technologist for a major food distributor and she tells me they are always trying to figure out ways to produce foods more cheaply.
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Bloated pain in morning.
I am 24 year old female. When I was a teenager I had an eating disorder where I would binge/purge/starve myself but this only lasted for about 2 years and then I started smoking. I hardly smoke now (maybe 5/week) and I dont have an eating disorder anymore and I am generally a healthy eatr and work out regularly. However I wake up every morning with bloating and paqin and nothing makings it better unless I have a bowel movement but the thing is I dont need to go every morning!! So the pain just persists throughout the day. I have had so many tests done and Drs have told me I have IBS and I am not satisfied with this diagnosis. I am considering doing a heavy detox and slowly reintroducing all foods to assess what the issue is. I am at a loss with my stomach. The pain makes me feel awlful and the way I look compounds everything. At a loss. Sometimes I wonder if some major food producers have changed something in thier products or if somethig has changed the way they purify water because as yet I cant relate this pain to anything. I have a friend who is a food technologist for a major food distributor and she tells me they are always trying to figure out ways to produce foods more cheaply.
|

replied January 10th, 2013
More tummy troubles
I am also a cigarette and marijuana user. I am a 25 year old white male that is a native to Colorado. Wake up with terrible stomach cramping/pain every morning consistently for the last few months at least. My eating habits have not changed, my sleeping habits have not changed, my regularity has not changed (take a nice big poop every morning) depression in my life? Sure. Diagnosed? No. Anxiety in my life, sure... But. Again not diagnosed. I also have no health insurance (thanks america for taking in more money than any other country in the world for healthcare but being ranked 36th overall in the world for quality of healthcare). I smoke weed damn near all day every day. I've smoked cigarettes most my life and I am no stranger to binge drinking from time to time. I figured this was the beginning signs of an ulcer but perhaps not. Maybe if there was enough of us with the same thing in common they'd do a free study. Buy don't hold your breath no one in this country with serious medical problems and an inability to pay for them gets any kind of attention they need. Regardless of the severity of what's plaguing you. Be it the first signs of a serious problem or a very fixable fluke of our genetic make up.
|

replied February 18th, 2014
Hey wassup bro you seem kool.

I'd like to hear from more marijuana smokers and cigarette smokers.

I too smoke marijuana on a daily basis, not always in the day, but in the night before bed while watching sports on tv.

I wake up 5 out of 7 days with a deep, dull, gnawing pain either somewhat localized or generalized across the upper abdomen.

I have had this for about 7 years at least, I have smoked mary consistently since 15 I'm 33 now. In the past I attributed the pain to gas from poor digestion since I do have poor night time eating habits after smoking marijuana I'm sure I eat a little bit(not too much). It is getting worse, and my belly is growing but it seems like half of it is just increased bloating and the other half actual fat (not soft fat but sturdy fat which I heard is more dangerous Idk). Like my stomach is strong, but it's getting bigger. My father also has a big stomach but I always thought it was cos he never exercises where as I used to.

Damn I'm starting to ramble, I'm up to early, tired. I tried not eating or smoking at all from noon on yesterday and I didn't get the same type of pain this morning but all the gurgling from an empty stomach was somewhat similar and very uncomfortable.

man this is hard to figure out, I've been trying to self-diagnose for almost a decade.
|

replied January 24th, 2013
I have been battling this for months too, found out it was anxiety related - I'm now doing hypnotherapy and body talk - its amazing and im a million times better now. I recommend this to everyone! No more stomach pain, diarrhea, dizziness, headaches. Seriously if you want a cure - its worth a shot - i was healed in 2 weeks!
|

replied February 25th, 2013
A lot of people are marijuana users. Perhaps this is the cause? I am going to start on a NON GMO diet, perhaps this monsanto food which is pretty much in everything could be effecting certain people.
My stomach hurts, I feel nausea, this usually lasts under 5 minutes for me, pretty much every morning. I typically feel fine the rest of the day. I work out, and am healthy.
I am going to try the NON GMO food, and no processed food fora month to see what happens, I recommend we all do the same. I also read this article, I will paste excerpt below. Try not to use drugs, like prilosec etc. This makes the problem worse.

"Then, when you are using the wrong solution for the problem, you are bound to have problems. Drugs are rarely, if ever, indicated for the common ulcer and associated stomach problems. The proton pump inhibitors like Prevacid and Prilosec and the H2 blocker agents like Tagament, Pepcid, and Zantac are some of the worst drugs that you could possible take.

Why?

They significantly reduce the amount of acid you have and with that your ability to properly digest food. Reduction of acid in the stomach also diminishes your primary defense mechanism for food borne infections and will increase your risk of food poisoning.

What are the options? Normally following the food choice program and drinking about one gallon of pure water per day along with high doses of a good quality probiotic (beneficial bacteria) is enough to restore normal stomach function in the vast majority of patients.

Occasionally, those with a hiatal hernia will require additional structural adjustments and the one I currently find that works the best is NST.

Garlic is one food that you should be eating every day. Dr. Klinghardt and I are very impressed with its ability to optimize bowel flora and kill pathogenic organisms such as H. pylori.

It is important to note that the garlic MUST be fresh. The active ingredient is destroyed within several hours of smashing the garlic. Garlic pills are virtually worthless and should not be used. When you use the garlic it will be important to compress the garlic with a spoon prior to swallowing it if you are not going to juice it. If you swallow the clove intact you will not convert the allicin to its active ingredient.

One problem, of course, is the smell, but generally a few cloves a day are tolerated by most people. If one develops a "socially offensive" odor then all you do is slightly decrease the volume of garlic until there is no odor present."
|

replied February 25th, 2013
A lot of people are marijuana users. Perhaps this is the cause? I am going to start on a NON GMO diet, perhaps this monsanto food which is pretty much in everything could be effecting certain people.
My stomach hurts, I feel nausea, this usually lasts under 5 minutes for me, pretty much every morning. I typically feel fine the rest of the day. I work out, and am healthy.
I am going to try the NON GMO food, and no processed food fora month to see what happens, I recommend we all do the same. I also read this article, I will paste excerpt below. Try not to use drugs, like prilosec etc. This makes the problem worse.

"Then, when you are using the wrong solution for the problem, you are bound to have problems. Drugs are rarely, if ever, indicated for the common ulcer and associated stomach problems. The proton pump inhibitors like Prevacid and Prilosec and the H2 blocker agents like Tagament, Pepcid, and Zantac are some of the worst drugs that you could possible take.

Why?

They significantly reduce the amount of acid you have and with that your ability to properly digest food. Reduction of acid in the stomach also diminishes your primary defense mechanism for food borne infections and will increase your risk of food poisoning.

What are the options? Normally following the food choice program and drinking about one gallon of pure water per day along with high doses of a good quality probiotic (beneficial bacteria) is enough to restore normal stomach function in the vast majority of patients.

Occasionally, those with a hiatal hernia will require additional structural adjustments and the one I currently find that works the best is NST.

Garlic is one food that you should be eating every day. Dr. Klinghardt and I are very impressed with its ability to optimize bowel flora and kill pathogenic organisms such as H. pylori.

It is important to note that the garlic MUST be fresh. The active ingredient is destroyed within several hours of smashing the garlic. Garlic pills are virtually worthless and should not be used. When you use the garlic it will be important to compress the garlic with a spoon prior to swallowing it if you are not going to juice it. If you swallow the clove intact you will not convert the allicin to its active ingredient.

One problem, of course, is the smell, but generally a few cloves a day are tolerated by most people. If one develops a "socially offensive" odor then all you do is slightly decrease the volume of garlic until there is no odor present."
|

replied March 1st, 2013
Well, DSchulten88 here again. I'd like to say that the morning stomach pain has not dulled, subsided, nor gotten any better. Woke me up at about 5 this morning. It is 6:30 now and I think the pain is finally getting ready to leave for the day. I've attempted a gluten free diet, stopped smoking pot for a week, stopped drinking for a week, I typically already stayed away from GMO's and processed foods for several years at this point. I eat really healthy and am really quite active. I work out multiple times weekly, constantly camping, hiking, biking, motorcycling, snowshoeing, snowboarding... I just don't get what's with the pain.. my last post here was in January. It'll be March tomorrow and I remember having the exact same pain in my stomach over a month and a half ago now.. I by the way never take medicine for anything, don't get flu shots, don't get sick, great regularity still.. the only real common factor is my living situation I guess.. stress, anxiety, guilt, unhappiness..
|

replied June 7th, 2013
16 Female noticing the same symptoms as above
I'm 16 and I have noticed the past couple of weeks that I have had stomach pains also. It could be anxiety and stress I suppose since this is the last week of school and I have been study my butt off for exams this past week.. (and lately the pain has increased by an enormous amount that I cannot even begin to describe..)
Like all if you, I have pains in my lower stomach that to me feel almost like really bad cramps (Almost like menstrual cramps, I am female btw, obviously) I have not had any issues with milk, cheese, or any diary products before, and nor have I ever had any lactosentalertant (I can't spell it) problems. I do however, get dizzy sometimes, find that when I do not get enough sleep the pain worsens, I feel neausas or feel like throwing up, and eating or drinking something does work, and sometimes if I do something (like an example for me would be straighting my hair, as goofy as it sounds) gets my mind of the pain because I am focusing on doing something. Even studying, or taking care of something/ someone else gets me to stop noticing the pain.
But here is my conclusion: could it be gas?
|

replied June 13th, 2013
Stomach pain in the morning
I had stomach pain every morning and drank Aloe Juice and rhinzinate which is deglycerized Licorice which helps heal the stomach. L Glutamine, Golden Seal and Slippery Elm also are helpful for healing the gut. I also take Mastic Gum and eat Manuka Honey which is supposed to kill H Pylori. A medical journal in Australia revealed that a test of Manuka Honey given tto patients everyday can heal an Ulcer in 4 months

I was later diagnosed by the Heidelburg capsule test with Achlorhydria whereby my stomach doesn't make acid. I started on Betaine HCL with meals and morning pain was reduced. I was also diagnosed with Lyme disease. Many types of bacteria can cause burning pain so it might be worth it to look into causes other then H Pylori if your blood test is negative. My blood test for HPylori was positive, combine that with Lyme who knows what other coinfections it is not a surprise I had severe stomach pain I also was Gluten intolerant and once I quit eating Gluten the rest of my symptoms resolved. If you try HCL make sure to eat a lot of food with it and do not take it, until you have resolved your pain issues first. HCL will also prevent H pylori from reinhabiting your gut.
|

replied June 13th, 2013
I had stomach pain every morning and drank Aloe Juice and rhinzinate which is deglycerized Licorice. I also take Mastic Gum and eat Manuka Honey which is supposed to kill H Pylori. I was later diagnosed by the Heidelburg capsule test with Achlorhydria whereby my stomach doesn't make acid. I started omn Betaine HCL with meals and pain was reduced. I also was Gluten intolerant and once I quit eating Gluten the rest of my symptoms resolved. I later was diagnosed with Lymre disease which could also be a factor. Herbs that helped my pain were golden seal,rhinzinate, aloe juice, slippery elm and L Glutamine. Medical research out of Australia revealed that taken every day, Manuka Honey can heal an ulcer in 4 months.
|
12 >>