Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Stomach pain caused by my cough?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
The past couple weeks or so I've had a cold. The nausea went away but the cough is still lingering. When I had the cold, when I would cough my throat would hurt and after awhile I had back pain. Which I assume is normal. But now, whenever I cough, I get an unbearable stomach pain. The pain is in my lower abdomen, right about my pubic area. It's like a sharp stabbing pain that last for only a very seconds. But sometimes it hurts so bad I double over. I'm young, and am very healthy. I rarely get sick. I'm on no medication other than birth control and depression meds. But it only happens when I cough. Tell me, should I get this checked out? Or am I just worrying for nothing?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Prolonged cough can cause straining in the stomach muscles and lead to abdominal pain at times.Some suggestions for you:
Take a glass of water and mix 1 tbsp honey and half lemon juice in it.It will help in throat infection.
Drink lots of water.
Massage the abdominal area your self so that the starined muscles are relaxed.
If the pain persists or increases in intensity consider visiting a Physician for clinical examination.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.