Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Stomach pain and chest pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Okay so let me start..back in October just months ago I was totally fine. Nothing wrong with me at all. Then in early November, I began having some upset stomachs every now and then. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me 40 mg Prilosec thinking it was a stomach ulcer. I took them for 2 weeks and didn't feel any better. I actually felt worse. I was having bad stomach pains and terrible nausea. They switched me to Protonix and still it did not help. It was getting to the point where I was nauseous almost all the time. I finally was referred to a GI doctor and he ordered a Barium xray and a HIDA scan. Well the HIDA scan showed my gallbladder was not functioning and I had it removed Jan 6th. They also discovered I do have some minor acid reflux, but only when I'm laying down. They also did an endoscopy and it showed no signs of a stomach ulcer or anything else wrong. Well I'm better now with the nausea..its a lot better than it was before my surgery, but I'm still having some strange symptoms. I'm taking Prilosec 20 mg every morning but I'm still experiencing these weird heartburn type symptoms. Its not all the time..just off and on. Some times I'll go 3-4 days without symptoms and then they come back and so on. I get a hot burning feeling in my throat, I get stomach pain, and sometimes a tightness/ache type pain in my chest and around to my back right where my esophegus probably is. If it gets bad, my stomach sometimes feels a bit sick. I also get a bloated full feeling in my stomach. I don't eat anything spicy, greasy or fatty. I've even cut out pop. I never had any of these problems just 5 months ago. I never ever even had heartburn before all this. I do have a hiatal hernia which is why I have acid reflux but the GI doctor told me its a very minor one and he doubts it would be causing me issues like this. But I don't get it..I had my gallbladder removed and I'm having these symptoms still. The nausea is MUCH better. I don't even really get nauseous anymore. I just sometimes get an upset stomach, but its not anything like it was before. Oh I also get gas pains sometimes. What is wrong with me? Do I need a different acid reflux medicine maybe? I would think a Prilosec every morning along with an extra 1-2 hearburn tabs when needed would be plenty to control it if it was acid reflux. Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You are suffering from acid reflux symptoms.
A burning sensation that radiates up from the stomach to the chest and throat is the main symptom.
Up to half of the acid reflux sufferers have dyspepsia syndrome, consisting of pain and discomfort in the upper abdomen, fullness in the stomach and nausea after eating.
You may have the feeling of acid backing up in the throat, and even getting an urge to vomit.
Less common symptoms are chest sensations or pain, hoarseness, dry cough, the sensation of having a lump in the throat, and the need to repeatedly clear the throat.
Trouble swallowing, chronic sore throat, hiccups are additional symptoms of acid reflux.
Hiatal hernia is very strong predictor for having this condition.
Sometimes, medications treatment isn't helpful and surgery is considered ( such cases of acid reflux are refractive, or, unresponsive to meds)
Another meds can be tried, too.
|

replied January 24th, 2012
Stomache, chest, and throat pain pls help
my husband is 30 yrs old and very healthy, he does smoke and a drink everyday. he has heartburn, but in the last few days he has been having chest pains in the center of his chest, also he has been having stomache pains and is having pain in his throat. It seemd to help a little when he lays on his stomache do you have any suggestions? we have tried tums and other over the counter items nothing helps. Thx
|