Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Stomach pain after food poisoning

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
User Profile
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am very concern about my body. I got foodpoisoned last week Wednesday because of a wrong cheese/salad. I spent the whole day in bed on Thursday, had diarrhea and vomited also. I made sure, that I drank enough to not get dehydrated. I felt better by Friday afternoon, but because I couldn't eat almost for a day, I started to feel a strong pain in my stomach, right in the middle. I was much better on Saturday, so I went out with my friends, had some wine, but wasn't back still on my normal diet. I've got a very hard stomach, especially viewable lower one(which is a bit more out than usual) and I've got a pain in my belly button if I press it. I do exercise 1 hour everyday, don't really feel any pain, when I'm on my abs, but I'm quiet nervous about what's happening to me now. I also have laxity and feel the stomach acid in my throat. However I can work and live normally. I'm gonna call my GP tomorrow, but would like to get some advise from you if it's possible.
Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A10262
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

With a history of recent food poisoning that was just settling down, acidity, anxiety, drinking wine even when not settled, the pain in your abdomen can be due to acidity. The symptoms could also be exacerbation of the GERD. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to change a couple of medications or take a combination of medications like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into and a combination antibiotic tried.

Life style changes include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!

Note: This medical answer is not the final diagnosis as a confirmed diagnosis cannot be made on net without examining the patient. The post aims to just provide basic medical information based on the medical history available. Suggested Lab tests should be done only if advised by the treating doctor. No treatment advised should be taken without direct consultation with your own health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.