Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Stinky crotch (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I am a 44 yr old woman with 2 kids, 19 and 17. I had a total hysterectomy 9 yrs ago. At that time I weighed 130, I currently weigh 210. I am dieting and exercising and am doing very well. Here is my problem...

For the last 5 yrs, I have had a stinky crotch. More stinky than not stinky. I don't have to sweat to smell it. I am very self conscious of this odor. My husband and daughter have both told me they can smell me. After exercising it is really bad. I take 2 showers a day. Over the past 4 years I have been to the Dr. 5 times to help me with this. They always do a wet mount, pap or whatever they need to do down there. It always comes back normal. They tell me the same old thing, cotton undies, no tight pants, try not to wear undies at night to bed, yogurt...They give me Flagl and it seems to help for just a few days, then it is right back.

I started a diet program and exercise program 7/1/08. I do not eat sweets, breads, potatoes, chips. It is all mainly fish, turkey, chicken salads, fruits, veg's.

Sex is a big turn off for me and sometimes i think my hubby to, because we both can smell it. I LOVE oral sex, but my hubby can barely stand to do it, and i have to be right out of the shower for him to do it.

The only think I have not done is switch to a frangrance free deteregent and body soap. And of course fragrance free to wash my vagina area. How do you feel about this?

Also, I have been taking acidif....(can't spell it). What is the difference between probiotics acidif and just plain acidif??

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

I have even taken my satin undies that have a cotton crotch against me but satin on the outside, taken the satin on the outside and cut it out, so just the cotton is exposed.

HELP...i am so miserable and embarrased. thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 12th, 2008
Anyone ???????? any ideas ???????? Over the week-end I did buy fragrance free body soap (Dove) and Eve has a body wash just for the crotch/vagina area. Oh also, a fragrance free detergent (Purex).

Help........I don't know whether this is diet related (foods that i am eatting) or if it has to do with my weight or what.

It really has affected my social life and self confidence. HELP ...
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Perhaps the acidif (?) you are taking is causing this. I'm not sure what it is, but antibiotics can have effects on the smell of your vagina sometimes. It's worth investigating if there is anything else you can take.

What did the doc give your Flagyl for? I'm researching that drug, and the only thing I can find is that it's used to treat sexually transmitted disease?? What did the doctor say to you?
|

Flagyl is an oral antiprotozoal and antibacterial antibiotic. It fights infections caused by bacteria or amoeba in your body.

Flagyl is used to treat bacterial or amoebic infections of the vagina, stomach, skin, joints, and respiratory tract.

I think the doc was just prescribing it to me, hoping that it would take care of an infection that I had.

I started the acidif long after this problem started. On almost every occasion that i mentioned it the dr. said that this would be ok to take, along with eating yogurt etc. etc.

I have noticed that cutting way back on sugar (especially candy) that the smell is not a bad. But it is still there.

Any other thoughts ? ideas? suggestions?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, change your soap!

Fragrances can irritate your vagina and bring on an infection. When you wash your vagina you should use non scented soaps and nothing too crazy with lotions or anything... Just soap. You really don't need to spend much time on it at all either, sometimes washing your vagina too much can be a bad thing as well.

How well do you dry off after a shower? Do you use any lubricants during sex?
|
Users who thank Maddie34 for this post: sassy64 

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, and if you can find ph balanced soap, that's even better. I use dove unscented unfragranced soap and I like it.

There are also over the counter tests you can use to determine if you have a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. I'd take that to see what kind of problem you're dealing with. Also, there are products such as rePlens or rePhresh (I think that's how it's spelled) that might help??
|

I think I dry off fairly well after a shower. No lubs with sex. So when a woman does wash her vagina area, is she suppose to get in between all the folds also? or just mainly the outside area? I shower in the AM and the PM. I have gotton so self-continous (sp) that maybe I am cleaning too good? does that make sense?
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
You can wash very gently in between the lips but its best that you use just plain water and a washcloth for that part. The outer lips can be washed with a mild cleanser (I actually use baby shampoo).
|
Users who thank motherofhighspiritedones for this post: sassy64 

I am curious, with changing soaps, detergents, exercising and dieting, how soon will I notice a change?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2008
Community Volunteer
It actually depends on what may be causing the odor in the first place. Say its just your soap. Then if you change the soap, you might notice a difference. If it is something you are no longer eating, you might notice a difference then.
Also, if you are like me, traces of toilet paper lint get trapped in my inner lips and can make me smell really funny. I actually changed to fragrance-free baby wipes. No more smell...they are also great for freshening up.
|

I have never used a wash cloth to clean my vagina area. I just use my fingers to open the two folds and just use my fingers to wipe around that area along with the water from the shower coming down on me. Should I go ahead and start using a wash cloth? Do you get right in those folds with the cloth? Maybe using my fingers in not enough ??

I haven't experienced toilet paper caught in my inner lips.

Also, I have heard that washing my undies in Johnsons baby shampoo would also help..........what do u think? I feel as though the smeel ha become embedded in my undies. At times I have gone out and bought all new undies. Would now be a good time to do this with all the changes I am making?
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Just gently wash your inner lips with a washcloth...don't scrub...why I say washcloth is because it has raised areas that can "buff off" the nasty tp residue. And yeah you could try washing your undies in baby shampoo...its gentle. And it would never hurt to "upgrade" your undies and start fresh! Great excuse to go shopping! Laughing
|

Since I have bought the Dove unscented unfragrance soap and the Femine Wash by Summers Eve. What are your ideas on which one to use to wash the vagina area? Take turns with them, or stick to just one of them for awhile and see if i notice a change? Oh and do you think that by shaving all the hair in that area would be beneficial?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Sassy, you really shouldn't be spending a large amount of time washing your vagina. It will clean and take care of itself for the most part and things get a little out of balance if you wash it too much.

Try dove unscented for awhile and wash only once a day. You'd wash your vagina the same way the rest of your body, the only special attention it needs is to make sure you don't get any soap inside your vagina. Never, ever scrub your vagina.

Drinking a ton of water is also said to help.
|
Users who thank Maddie34 for this post: sassy64 

replied August 14th, 2008
Maybe that is one thing that is not letting this problem clear up. Like i said before, i take 2 showers every day, AM and PM. With exercising after i get off work, I shower in the evenings and wash well down there. Just because of all the sweating i do. But in the AM if I just shower mainly to wake myself up and wash my hair, maybe i shouldn't concentrate on soaping up in the vagina area. Just let the water run down my body while washing my hair etc.
|

replied August 14th, 2008
I have another question.......which should i be taking, the acidifi....(don't know how to spell it) or the Probiotics???? anyone know? I am currently taking the acid...

thanks so much for all your helpful hints and suggestions!
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sassy actually shaving the whole area will definetly help. If i let my hair grow long it will definetly smell. Regarding cotton undies, just because the crotch part is cotton means nothing, the whole pantie has to be cotton. I only buy panties that are at least 92% cotton the whole pantie. It makes a difference. Pantiliners I have found to cause smell too. Diet will not do a synch. Also if none of this work then it might be your hubby who needs to get treated. He might be the one giving you a bacteria your vag don't agree with.
|
Users who thank nightangel73 for this post: sassy64 

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with nightangle73, to get checked both of you for all STD's.
Try to wash your vaginal lips with chamomile tea.
Chamomile douche may improve symptoms of vaginitis, leaving pleasant scent in the area.
Cut on coffee, too.

When you say acidifi, do you think about L. acidophilus?
Have you been checked for diabetes?
Do you usually smell fish-like odor?
Are you experiencing increased discharge especially after the intercourse?
|

replied September 6th, 2008
MandMs wrote:
I agree with nightangle73, to get checked both of you for all STD's.
Try to wash your vaginal lips with chamomile tea.
Chamomile douche may improve symptoms of vaginitis, leaving pleasant scent in the area.
Cut on coffee, too.

When you say acidifi, do you think about L. acidophilus?
Have you been checked for diabetes?
Do you usually smell fish-like odor?
Are you experiencing increased discharge especially after the intercourse?

Are you saying to cut down on the amt of coffee I drink?

Yes, L. acidophilus...
Yes, to diabetes...no problems there...
Yes, fishy smell
Have not noticed any discharge after sex
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Lactobacillus acidophilus is the most commonly used probiotic, or "friendly" bacteria.
Having an abnormal vaginal discharge with an unpleasant strong fish-like odor, especially after intercourse, usually white or gray, experiencing burning during urination or itching around the outside of the vagina, is known as having bacterial vaginosis.

The cause of BV is not fully understood, although, douching is putting women at increased risk to have it.
There need to be performed laboratory tests on a sample of vaginal fluid to look for bacteria associated with BV.
Sometimes, BV clears up without treatment, but, when the certain bacterium is isolated, antibiotic therapy is prescribed (usually, metronidazole or clindamycin, are recommended)

Best wishes!
Marija
|
12 >>