Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

still smoking on chantix

Help my friend has been on chantix for 1 month and he is still smoking - he smokes a carton a week. He also had 9 stents so im really hoping he can quit. He even gets up in the middle of the night or morning 2 to 3 times to smoke. Has anyone else smoked this long while on chantix?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JohnPhoenix
|

replied April 14th, 2012
I cannot answer your question but I can give some advice.

According to the Chantix website the product has a 14% success rate at 6 months - over that of placebo which is 5 percent. This means that Chantix Only works about 3 times better than placebo for quitting - for Only a 6 month period. The numbers go down after that as more people return to smoking. At 1 year the amount of people who stayed quit on Chantix is even smaller. So you see, Chantix isn't really effective at all.. it's all marketing and hype.

The FDA only approves any drug if it can be shown that it works better than placebo - any at all. It can be 1 percent and as long as the product doesn't kill anyone too fast they approve it.

Listen to the folks who are on this website and look up the Chantix side effects to the right. You will find very few who have quit with Chantix and a host of very bad side effects. In your friends case, taking Chantix may be worse off than smoking in the short term depending on the side effects he has.

So Chantix is obviously not working for your friend. It's better he stop the drug asap and try another approach.

You need to know why he is still smoking. Talk to him, find out what his triggers are and what he enjoys so much about smoking that he cannot live without. Once you know that, he can try methods that cater to those psychological or physical addictions.

For example I smoked a pack a day for 22 years and tried everything to quit over the last few years. Nothing worked. But I wanted to quit for health reasons.. I did not really WANT to quit. Smoking was my life long buddy and I didn't want to be without it. Many people feel this way. Grabbing a cigarette and inhaling, exhaling, holding it, socializing with it was a comfort and part of who I was. It helped define me and without it, a part of me would be gone that I didn't want to lose. My salvation from smoking came in the form of an electronic cigarette. I was able to make the switch the first day I tried one and have been tobacco smoke free for over a year now with very little withdrawal symptoms. Electronic cigarettes give one everything one likes about smoking without any of the harmful things that go with cigarette smoke. They are not for everyone, but they are what worked best for me - to keep me smoke free and I believe save my life. I still get to hold it, inhale and exhale it. I do get nicotine in the form of a vapor which is relatively harmless compared to tobacco smoke. using nicotine in this form has about the same health risks with that of coffee drinkers. Nicotine by itself does not cause or contribute to heart disease, lung disease and it does not cause cancer. it's a central nervous system stimulant and vascular constrictor just like caffeine is. If your friend can drink coffee, an electronic cigarette may be the option that saves his life.

Electronic cigarettes may not be right for him, but you see my point. Find a method that caters to his needs that will satisfy him, and it will have a much greater chance of working than a method that doesn't.

Above all, your friend has to either want to quit smoking or make such a change. Unless one of those conditions are met in all likely hood nothing will be able to work for him.

I wish you both the best of luck and health.

P.S. If you want to know more about electronic cigarettes do serious research. I suggest you google the Electronic Cigarette Forum. They have tons of scientific non biased information about them and will not try to sell you one. It's just an information clearing house.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
just read johnphoenix reply and its so helpful to me. im on day 18 with champix but the cravings are so bad im now sneaking puffs on an electric cig after quitting real cigs 4 days ago. i have been a smoker for 33 years and dont really want to quit but through health reasons i have to. i have only ever used a computer before for shopping and typing is one finger and very slow so you can see how desperate i am! do you mo if elec cigs are harmful while im taking champix? i have put up a post myself (lioness5) and would be very grateful for any advioe.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 20th, 2012
Does any one experience extreme tiredness form Champix?
|

replied February 2nd, 2013
Me and I dont know why???? I am considering stopping them so I can function Sad
|

replied June 12th, 2013
I am so sick to my stomach today. I'm not sure if its cuz I stopped after the first weeks round of CHANTIX, and then just started taking it again but using the next mg up... the 1mg pill. My chest is palpitating but I don't know if its cuz my thyroide been acti g up again. I'm also experiencing anxiety and thoughts. So I have to go see my Dr. But has anyone here stopped Chantix then start back up using the 1mgs?
|