Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Still itchy after monistat 3

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
I had a horrible red raw itch Down there and swelling. No cottage cheese discharge as they say.. But I bought monistat 3 and it relieved most of my symptoms. I woke up after the third day of treatment and had to use a tampon. Then 2 days layer I had sex and the itching came back a little and I noticed a fishy odor. The odor is gone after I did a yogurt treatment but I still have a little itch and sex kinda burns. I have two spots that are slightly red. Can't exactly see a doc.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper brittanyelaine93
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
Experienced User
Hi hkcraft, I just got over a yeast infection as well, and they are annoying. It does sound like you cured your yeast infection, but you need to make sure. If you can't go to a doctor, there are screening kits at stores that work well. You sound just like me. I have had itching and burning twice after a yeast infection ,and some redness, and there was no yeast. It was completely gone. I've asked me doctor and she thinks it could be from detergent, soaps, etc, but it's not. You could be just like me. It could be like a effect after a yeast infection or something. I'm not clear on this as well. The redness could be fro ma a rash, like a heat rash, or wearing your underwear too tight, or like when you sit too long, and they way you sit with them on. I would honestly give it a week, and if your symptoms don't improve, take a test. That's what I was told. There is also cream that can help with itching, not yeast infections, but for regular itches. I hope this kind of helps, take care!
|

Thanks. I was worried everyone would scream std... But since the monistat worked so well I'm convinced it's not.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Monistat works to wipe out the good and bad bacteria--a recipe for another yeast infection. You should start taking probiotics ever day ASAP to prevent that from happening. Also, stay away from starchy foods,alcohol sugar and caffeine they feed yeast.
|

another thing you could do is talk to a doctor about the yeast infection. i was allergic to monistat and my doctor perscribed me a pill that took it away within a couple days completely. the soreness will take a while to completely heal and it may still itch because of the healing process. good luck Smile
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
Experienced User
you're just like me, experiences the same symptoms after it's cured, too. I'm relieved now, too!
|

replied March 17th, 2012
basically the same thing has happened to me! after using monistat 3 my internal burning was gone and i no longer have any discharge, but i still feel a little swollen and itchy on the outisde. I have been using the yogurt method as well which has been helping. How long does it usually take for these after symptoms to go away? I have been debating on wether i should use monistat 3 again....idk! i a just want this itching gone!
|

replied April 25th, 2012
A fishy odor normally signal BV, a bacterial infection. You would need an antibiotic in order to clear it up. Yeast infections normally don't have a fishy odor.
|

replied June 10th, 2013
Yesss. I had the embarrassing fishy odor too. Omg !! So embarrassed. I barely wanted to move cause I didn't want the smell to linger. The itching and burning. I Don't even wanna have sex until everytHing is back NORMAL !!!! NOOO TO MONISTAT. It freakinn svckssss !!
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2013
yeast infection
I had a yeast infection, but i took monistate and it took away the yeast but its still a little red down there and if i go to the rest room after wiping down there it icthes really bad but no odor.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
Ladies, if theres a fishy odour it's likely bv, not a yeast infection-- especially if monistat didn't cure it! Bv is not treated the same, and can cause problems if it's not treated. The symptoms are similar but with bv (and some STDs) the only difference is the odour, which yeast infections don't cause! Yeast infections don't really smell. Please get checked if you have odour-- your future fertility could be at stake.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
Also, worst case scenario planned parenthood offers sliding scale fees-- sometimes free-- and they have free meds sometimes. Same as emerg-- long wait time, but they can't turn you away and u don't have to pay upfront. Your health is important. Be your own advocate! Love ya.
|

replied October 24th, 2013
The fishy smell associated with itching without discharge is usually related to bacterial vaginosis (BV). This is just an imbalance of the normal bacteria in the vagina. If symptoms persist after a Monistat treatment, this is the likely culprit and you'll likely need an antibiotic.

-Alexa Pearson, RN
|