Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

still itchy about 10 days after yeast infection meds

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
Almost 2 weeks ago I took monistat-3. I didn't have it diagnosed by a doctor but I'm pretty positive I had a yeast infection because I had the cottage cheese-like discharge. The cottage cheese discharge is gone and everything is better, but the itching is still there. It isn't quite as bad as it was before the meds but it is still bad enough that I need to do something about it, really just uncomfortable more than unbearable. I don't itch at all on the inside and I have no bumps anywhere. The anti-itch cream that came with the monistat-3 still helps temporarily, but the box says not to use that for more than 10 days. Going to the Gyno isn't really an option right now so is this something that should go away on it's own or I can get stuff for over the counter?

any advice would be greatly appreciated! it's worse at night (hence the reason why I've been awake for the past hour)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nana35
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2009
hello... i found this on the web and i thought that this might help.

If you simply rely on looking at vaginal discharges to detect yeast infection, then you are definitely on the wrong track. Women normally have vaginal discharges at certain points in their menstrual cycle, and this does not mean that they suffer from yeast infections already.

If vaginal discharges are coupled with itchiness and burning sensations in the genitalia, then you might have yeast infection. However, you need to keep in mind that there are also other vaginal infections which are not caused by fungus. Trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginosis are caused by parasites and bacteria, but the symptoms of these are very similar to that of the fungal yeast infection.

Correct diagnosis from a trusted doctor is the most essential step in dealing with yeast infections. An improper diagnosis always leads to improper treatment, which can aggravate your yeast infection. Say, if you actually have yeast infection but you have been misdiagnosed for bacteria-caused infections like vaginosis, the doctor might prescribe you with antibiotics. Antibiotics do not kill yeast fungi; they can make the situation worse by killing the good bacteria that prevents overgrowth of the yeast fungi.

If you seek for professional help in detecting yeast infection, the physician might perform pelvic examinations and obtain discharge samples from your vagina. These clinical tests can determine whether or not you are really suffering from yeast infection or from bacteria-caused vaginal infection.

If you want to see the site for yourself you can access it at candida-solutions.com they also have natural remedies for yeast infection (if you no longer want to use your monistat and if you are really sure that you have yeast infection..

PAIGE
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2009
Supporter
i agree with the previous poster. it is possible that you could have misdiagnosed yourself especially if you still have symptoms.
i known of a friend who did the same thing and the end results is she had trich.
but you also took the monistat 3, i had another girlfriend that had a yeast infection and didnt clear up in the 3 day monistat 3. she was very mad because it cost a lot of money.
|

replied July 13th, 2010
Yeast Infection Similarities
Hey, I'm experiencing the same thing that you did...I took a 3-day clotrimazole yeast infection med, and the discharge and burning and most of the itching is gone..but its been a couple days and I'm still itchy. Its not debilitating or anything, but its just annoying. I was wondering what you ended up doing...? If you even remember. =P thank you, in advance!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 18th, 2010
Make sure to keep the itchy area dry and clean. Wear cotton underwear and clothing that isn't tight.

One possibility to the itch is that there's not enough Immunoglobulin IgA protecting the skin. The underlying cause of an IgA deficiency on the skin is often over-utilization of IgA in the g.i. tract.

For the next 2 weeks or so, try to cut out sugars and cut down on white carbs. No milk/juice/soft drinks/alcohol/candy/cake/ice cream...and cut down on the pasta/rice/breads. Instead, eat a lot of green vegetables.

For the itching, you can try a natural remedy. Try applying some Tea Tree Oil to the affected area. It is an essential oil and is very concentrated, so make sure that you dilute it with water.

1 1/2 tablespoons of Tea Tree Oil, 1 cup of clean water (10 percent tea tree oil)

Before you apply the diluted solution, test it out on the back of your hand first. Some people may be allergic to Tea Tree Oil. Be sure to apply the diluted solution and not the concentrated solution.

If it gets dry in that area, apply a little bit of Vitamin E oil.

Hope this helps and good luck!
|