Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

stiffness and pain in one finger has spread...

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
User Profile
Hello,
Two weeks ago I started waking up with stiffness in one finger and pain if I tried to bend it. It would get better throughout the day, but now the finger is completely stiff 24 hours a day. It has spread to another finger quite badly, and I can feel it a bit in two others. No other joints have stiffness or pain, just the middle knuckle of the fingers. I started taking vitamins and Omega 3 from a highly rated "premium" supplement company 3 weeks before the problems started. Stopped taking all vitamins today after reading posts on fish oil. I also type on the computer frequently but can only use 1 finger now. Any ideas? Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2012
Arthritis Answer A31909
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you might be having a trigger finger.

Trigger finger is a common disorder of later adulthood characterized by catching, snapping or locking of the involved finger flexor tendon, associated with dysfunction and pain.

The most probable cause would be due to overuse, repetitive stresses, workplace vibration, and repetitive forceful use of a digit which leads to inflammation of the fibrous digital sheath.

Treatment of such conditions is with anti inflammatory medications and if needed steroid injections within the involved joints.

You may consult with your doctor or a orthopedician who can examine you and provide proper treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.